OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Mueller vs. Vortex

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyotehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mueller vs. Vortex
    Posted: February/17/2010 at 16:19
I've been looking for a scope for coyote hunting as well as target shooting for my .223.  I've narrowed it down to 4 scopes but I'm not sure which one to go with yet.  The 4 im looking at are the:
All have 50mm lenses, as well as illuminated sights which is what ill need for low lighted hunts with some distance.  I'm leaning towards one of the Mueller scopes because I have heard some good things about them.  I haven't heard anything about the Vortex Crossfires with 30mm tubes which is holding me back from getting one of them.  If any one has any experince or knows anything about them please let me know.  Also my price range is under $250 so if anyone knows of any other scope like these that are better for around the same price please let me know.
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2010 at 16:52
Shooting coyotes I like to have a 3 or 4 for low end for magnification.  Have had a few pop up close and high mag makes finding them hard, especially if they are moving.  Don't have any of the Muellers, have the crossfire 6-24x50 in the 1" tube.  Tracking is good, glass is good.  Have it on one of my .22-250's.  
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
coyotehunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyotehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2010 at 16:59

How is the glass when the magnifcation is cranked all the way up? Is it good still or does it get fuzzy? Thats my main concern with vortex.  I haven't heard anything about there glass yet.  But everything else I have heard is good.

SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2010 at 17:06
It does soften as you go up the mag range, but still good.  Starts to get noticeable around 14x.   Keep in mind this is a scope I paid $99 for.  Price vs quality, it is excellent.  
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
coyotehunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyotehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2010 at 09:26
Ok.  Thanks for the info. If anyone else has used any of these scopes or knows anything about any of them let me know.  The more info I can find out about them the better.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic