OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold fx3 6 power

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Underground Ammo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold fx3 6 power
    Posted: February/17/2010 at 11:52
Hello,

Does anyone know if the 6x42 Leupold FX3 has a one piece tube. It looks to be 2 piece from the pictures.

Thanks
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2010 at 13:02
well, I couldn't find any info on their website.... but I'd be surprised if it's 2 piece.
take em!
Underground Ammo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Underground Ammo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2010 at 13:41
The fact that it's a FX3 makes me think its a one piece but it sure looks 2 piece in the pics.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2010 at 13:43
im not 100% on this but i remember reading that as long as it was an fx3 or vx3 it was a one piece tube. the cheaper leupolds are 2 piece
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Underground Ammo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2010 at 19:03
Just got the word from leupold, it is a two piece
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Underground Ammo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2010 at 19:07
I'm just not a two piece fan. I've had the Burris 6x and liked it but was wanting the better glass on the Leupold. Now I'm not sure. Any ideas? Other scopes?
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2010 at 20:30
If you can wait a few months SWFA is coming out with a 6x. Should be on par with the other SS scopes.
froggy
TexasPhotog View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasPhotog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2010 at 10:40
That's interesting.  Any details about it that you can share?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2010 at 10:46
If you are after better glass, this will run circles around a Leupold.  http://swfa.com/IOR-6x42-Hunting-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P1843.aspx
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Underground Ammo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2010 at 12:09
I like the IOR I just liked Leupolds $400 price. That's about all I want to spend on a 6X. The SS 6x sounds real interesting. This scope is for a AR in 6.5 Grendel. I like the reliability/simplicity of a fixed power scope. I'll probably use a high quality quick release mount so that I can use irons in the woods.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2010 at 12:20
Originally posted by TexasPhotog TexasPhotog wrote:

That's interesting.  Any details about it that you can share?

we all all patiently waiting for that to come from Chris
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2010 at 12:36
FX3 is a nice scope.  As far as the whole "two piece vs one piece", I could never figure out why anyone would care.  In theory one piece tube can be stronger and better sealed.  However, in practice, it depends on the execution: if the scope is well designed and well built, I doubt there is any practical difference.

ILya
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2010 at 12:41
 A month or so ago SWFA announced that they would be coming out with a 6x and a 4.8-20( or something in that range). I think they said mid spring or early summer, and at the same price range as the others. IMO if you can wait you will not find anything better for the money.
froggy
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Underground Ammo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2010 at 15:21
Looks like I'll be waiting on the SS 6x.

Would anyone care to compare the IOR 6x glass to the SS 10x glass. Kind of apples and oranges but it would be helpful to me.

I don't doubt that a 2 piece can be made well. I just always saw it as a sign of cutting corners. I can't bring myself to pay $400 for a 2 piece scope. I own a Nikon prostaff and its 2 piece but it cost me $150. Not gospel just my perspective.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2010 at 18:01
I have the M8 Tactical version of the 6x42. It appears to be two piece and it hasn't scared me a bit the last several years. If you want the Leo, I would get one in a minute. Similar to a few other Leupold's, in various lines, they are a gem.

Doug

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Underground Ammo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2010 at 22:13
I've been ready about the SS scopes, looks like everything is first rate. No way I'm spending 600 on a IOR with a SS coming out around at 300.

Thanks for the info.
doctom54 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctom54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2010 at 12:00
I have the 6x42 FX-3 and it is very bright and sharp. At least as bright as my Kahles 6x. The eye relief on the Leupold is better for me. I highly recommend it. 
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2010 at 12:39
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

.....  As far as the whole "two piece vs one piece", I could never figure out why anyone would care. ...

ILya

probably just another victim of advertising....... someone stated theirs was a one piece tube and I thought that sounded better.  thanks for your input ILya.
take em!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic