OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

coffee

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: coffee
    Posted: February/16/2010 at 09:27
since tip brought up star bucks i gotta make a confession here, i love the smell of coffee beans. whenever we go to the grocery store or to walmart i make it a point to go down the coffee aisle. i love  the smell and my wife just rolls her eyes and says why dont you just buy some to take home and smell. i would, but why waste the money. for some reason coffee isnt the same after you brew it. the good smell is replaced by a taste i dont much care for. i can drink those cheapo gas station cappuccinos by the gallon. the real thing tastes to much like coffee for me. there is a chain of gas stations in minnesota called Holiday, they have an almond amaretto cappuccino that is really tastey. ive tried to drink several types of coffee, i even thought that if i drank super dark coffee it would be better, wrong. unfortunately its not like beer where darker is more flavorful. dark coffee tastes like regular coffee.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
scooter65 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2010 at 09:29
Now that is funny.  I am also a closet coffee smeller.  (wonder if this is some sic kind of fetish)  Ever since I was a little kid I loved the smell of a coffee can when it was opened up.  Still do, although now I drink the stuff with plenty of cream and sugar.  Wink
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2010 at 09:39
im wondering if the water ruins it when its brewed?
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2010 at 09:45
depending on who brews it.... most businesses brew it way to freaking strong... even Starbucks!  I brew mine about half strength and add some sugar/sweetner and I'm good to go.  Now at Starbucks, I order a custom Latte!  My daughter Tara is a Barista at Starbucks and we get all our beans for free... nice little perk.
take em!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2010 at 09:47
it just seems like after its been brewed it tastes nothing like it smelled before it was brewed.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
scooter65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2010 at 09:47
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

I'm not a coffee expert, but I do know the water can make a big difference.  If it's too hot it over extracts pulling out the yuckies from the bean.  If it is not hot enough you don't get the flavor.  I think the water temp is supposed to be 195-210 if I remember.  Thats optimal temps. 

Places like Mc'dees etc.. would often make their water much hotter and use less coffee as a cheap means of producing more with less.

Also grinding beans smaller will cause the coffee to be much stronger than a larger grind.

And I will add my favorite coffee is PERKED.  Which makes coffee experts cringe.  The most preferred method is a french press. 

OH, one more thing... the water.. City water verses Well water verses Purified water will all make the coffee taste totally different.  They all alter the extraction of the oils from the beans.  Chlorine... tsk tsk tsk.

Edited by scooter65 - February/16/2010 at 09:50
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2010 at 09:53
Originally posted by scooter65 scooter65 wrote:

Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

I'm not a coffee expert, but I do know the water can make a big difference.  If it's too hot it over extracts pulling out the yuckies from the bean.  If it is not hot enough you don't get the flavor.  I think the water temp is supposed to be 195-210 if I remember.  Thats optimal temps. 

Places like Mc'dees etc.. would often make their water much hotter and use less coffee as a cheap means of producing more with less.

Also grinding beans smaller will cause the coffee to be much stronger than a larger grind.

And I will add my favorite coffee is PERKED.  Which makes coffee experts cringe.  The most preferred method is a french press. 

OH, one more thing... the water.. City water verses Well water verses Purified water will all make the coffee taste totally different.  They all alter the extraction of the oils from the beans.  Chlorine... tsk tsk tsk.

Way to much thought in to this.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2010 at 09:40
Hunter, I was much like you.  In my twenties and early thirties, I loved the smell of coffee, but hated the taste.  In my later thirties I finally acquired a taste for coffee and now in my forties I rely on one cup every morning. 
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2010 at 10:00
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

Hunter, I was much like you.  In my twenties and early thirties, I loved the smell of coffee, but hated the taste.  In my later thirties I finally acquired a taste for coffee and now in my forties I rely on one cup every morning. 

+1

I've recently switched to tea....
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Stephanie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Optics Goddess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2010 at 10:46
Is this you Pyro?

Average Joe View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2010 at 10:50
The bum sniffer is ENGLISH, bloody typical.
I'm classic shag nasty type.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2010 at 11:01
Not me, I hate coffee. I haven't had a cup since the 60's. I do rely on OJ every morning (to get going).
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2010 at 11:47
That stuff from Holidays reminds me of what cowboy poet Baxter Black called it: Almond Amaretto Methyl-Hydrate.
Reaction time is a factor...
Average Joe View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2010 at 11:51
It took me 39 years to try coffee, now i love the stuff.
I buy beans and grind and brew my own.  
I'm classic shag nasty type.
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2010 at 18:06
I started drinking coffee in 3rd grade.  Was helping Grandpa plant corn.  At coffee time we stopped and had a cheese sandwich and a cup of coffee.  Grand always packed old Tupperware plastic cups.  Grandma always make Grandpa's coffee sweet.  24 years later I still love the stuff.  Grandma has the cup that I had my 1st cup of coffee in and I use it when ever I visit.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2010 at 20:55

Reaction time is a factor...
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2010 at 21:17
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

i cant stand to drink though, i stay away from it when ever possible, but i sure could go for some almond amaretto right now.Merry Christmas
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2010 at 03:54
I am more of a tea drinker, but I do have a quad-Americano every morning in order to wake up.  Coffee Bean's facility where they roast the beans is on my way to work and they always have the freshest stuff.

Aside from that, I am mostly a tea drinker.

ILya
Quoddy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quoddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2010 at 07:22
I love good coffees and for the past 10 years have been buying select green coffee beans from around world and roasting them myself. The ability to bring out the very best from each type, rather than just roasting them into oblivion makes all the difference.

.204 Because Speed Kills
scooter65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2010 at 07:51
WOW.. roll your own!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic