OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss 4.5x14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss 4.5x14
    Posted: February/16/2010 at 07:52
I just had to post this after receiving a Zeiss 4.5x14.  I have a 3x9 Conquest and just got the 4.5x14, the 3x9 is nice, very nice but this 4.5x14 puts the 3x9 to shame.  The optics are a big step up.  Not sure why and maybe others have seen this too but it sure surprised me.  The clarity is a big improvement and I don't think it's just the small difference in objective size.  Anyway, anybody else seen this?
Foxman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2010 at 20:09
What's the objective size, 44 or 50?  If the 3x9 is a 40 and your new one is a 44 or 50, that could be why.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2010 at 08:32
not suprized here, I had an early 4.5x14 with plain reticle, and later got a z800 which had not only better optics, but was better built all around.
Tulie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2010 at 08:41
The 4.5x14 is a 44 mm and the 3x9 is a 40 so not much difference there.  The 4.5x14 does have the Z800 reticle in it but it's a lot more than just light gathering, just everything is sharper, clear and seems better color to me.  Not that the 3x9 is bad, it's just I wasn't expecting the 4.5x14 to be that much better.  Pleasant surprise for a change!
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2010 at 08:52
You did twist the eyepiece to adjust focus and obtain sharp images and reticle, right?
Tulie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2010 at 08:55
Yes.  The 3x9 is nice but the 4.5 is really amazing to me.  Maybe not as sharp as some of the Kahles I've looked through or a Swarovski but not very far behind!  To me the 3x9 was about like a good Leupold, maybe a tad bit better but not much.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2010 at 09:15
the difference between the early conquests 6 or so years and the later ones about 2 years is readily seen, ao work better, better glass, mag adjustment is more precise with the numbers, numbered in fractions etc, (same plastic turrets though)
okc4956 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okc4956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2010 at 14:49
I just got my first Zeiss Conquest 4.5 x 14 x 44 with the Z800 reticle and I'm really impressed at dusk and dawn. I was really considering a Swaro, and it's probably not the scope a Swaro is but for $800 less....I'm happy. Very nice scope for what I wanted.
Tulie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2010 at 17:31
Yeah, I agree.  The only Swaro stuff I've had was some older bino's and they were amazing.  However, for the cost vs. the difference I'm not sold that it's worth it to me.  I'm using Zeiss Classic bino's now, the older ones that are discontinued and they work great for me.  This scope sure impressed me and I wouldn't hesitate to get another 3x9.
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2010 at 10:50
Originally posted by Tulie Tulie wrote:

I just had to post this after receiving a Zeiss 4.5x14.  I have a 3x9 Conquest and just got the 4.5x14, the 3x9 is nice, very nice but this 4.5x14 puts the 3x9 to shame.  The optics are a big step up.  Not sure why and maybe others have seen this too but it sure surprised me.  The clarity is a big improvement and I don't think it's just the small difference in objective size.  Anyway, anybody else seen this?

I have a both a 3.5-10x44 and a 4.5-14x50 (Zeiss Conquest).  In broad daylight they're a draw.  In low light, the 50mm is clearly superior, regardless of the power setting.  6mm isn't much but it sure is a world of difference to my eyes.

HTH, 
bagderRed View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagderRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2010 at 07:47
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

the difference between the early conquests 6 or so years and the later ones about 2 years is readily seen, ao work better, better glass, mag adjustment is more precise with the numbers, numbered in fractions etc, (same plastic turrets though)

Could be, I am very impressed with the 2.5-8x32 Conquest I picked up late last year.
Tulie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2010 at 10:29
That 2.5x8 is an interesting one and I wish they hadn't discontinued it.  It would have fit nicely on a heavy recoiling dangerous game rifle.
architect View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote architect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2010 at 20:46
I have 2 of the 4.5 x 14.  One on a 30-06 Winchester the other on a Kimber 270 WSM.  Both have taken Mule Deer at 300 yards.   Target practice at the gun club is 400 and 600 yards without a problem.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic