OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leatherwood Uni-dial opinions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike300wthby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leatherwood Uni-dial opinions
    Posted: May/09/2004 at 23:37

Has anyone used one of the Uni-dial scopes?

What do you think?

Sounds like a cool idea for a targeting scope but I havent heard anything about the company and customer service.

Any information or experiences would be nice to see

Thanks

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2004 at 13:00
Great concept that does work as advertised.  Most of the Leatherwood scopes are average but the Uni-Dial models are above average in quality and mechanics.  Their customer service is prompt and with out hassle.
bee7851 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee7851 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2004 at 13:40

Chris,

So which model is the one to get? Uni-Dial? or Camputer? I have a Savage 10FP-LE (308) and would like to shoot long range (300 - 1000 yards) but can't really afford to spend over $300 for a scope. Of course, the less I spend, the better. I've been looking at the Leatherwood but am also open to any suggestions. Also, do you have any experience with the Redfield Tracker? Please advise. Thanks in advance.

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2004 at 14:01

The Uni-Dial series are our most popular models and the easiest to use.  The current model Redfield Tracker scope are decent scopes but offer not bullet feature like the Leatherwood does.

With your requirements in mind ($300 & 1000 yds) I would highly recommend a scope with a mil dot reticle, target knobs, parallax adjustment, fully multicoated optics with plenty of internal adjustment to get to a 100 yards.  That's a pretty short list.

1.Super Sniper 10x42, 16x42 or 20x42

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2004 at 11:50

I have yet to find a Chinese manufactured scope that impresses me.

ranburr

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2004 at 12:11

Here is what Leatherwood has to say about their scopes.

There are new scope companies showing up daily that have their scopes made in China. Why is Leatherwood®/Hi-Lux™ different?

1. The people involved in the company have about two centuries of combined knowledge in the riflescope industry.
  2. Leatherwood has new designs that are truly new. The Camputer, the Uni-Dial, the 3-D Mount, the EXTRM Mount and the new M-98 Mount represent designs that are totally unique to Leatherwood company.
  3. Manufacturing of the Camputer Scope in China has taught Leatherwood how to deal with quality issues in the building of a sophisticated optical products in China. The Camputer is the most difficult scope in the world to build even though it appears extremely simple. Leatherwood is now able to finally institute the controls necessary to produce this scope at a very competitive price and get the quality we needed. The new Sporter II shows the results of that work.
  4. Leatherwood has now taken that knowledge and applied it to a complete line of optics. Building on basic designs that were already in production, Leatherwood significantly upgraded the quality of the optical glass and changed assembly procedures to insure that the scopes don’t just look good but perform well. To prove the quality, every scope is shock tested and leak tested. This has produced a line that is price competitive with other China produced lines but has the performance of much more expensive scopes.

Leatherwood believe that they represent the new direction in the production of riflescopes and intend to lead the way in this new millennium in both new designs and quality products at very reasonable prices.

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2004 at 12:27

Well just so you know, I have a very small percentage of a competing scope line.  Guess what, we have them built in the same Chinese factory using the same tubes and glass and engineering as Leatherwood.  The only difference is that 100% of our line comes with a red dot and we are selling them for significantly less money.  And before you ask, no I do not use them on my rifles.  But there are a lot of people (as you well know) that will spend $600-$1,000 on a rifle, yet they want a $200 or less scope on it.

ranburr     

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2004 at 13:11
I agreed with your initial comment but felt compelled to play devil's advocate.
acerimusdux View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acerimusdux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2004 at 18:02

ranburr wrote:

Well just so you know, I have a very small percentage of a competing scope line.  Guess what, we have them built in the same Chinese factory using the same tubes and glass and engineering as Leatherwood.  The only difference is that 100% of our line comes with a red dot and we are selling them for significantly less money.  And before you ask, no I do not use them on my rifles.  

Q.  What is MUELLER
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2004 at 15:57

I think its a mount or maybe a scope?  Where did you see it referenced?

samhill79 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samhill79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2004 at 17:45
I have a unidial 3.5x10x50  It came with surface rust....not impressed.  I got it for $230 online NEW in a sealed box.  It is actually very clear and impressed me for what it was and considering that it was made in China.  It is a pain in the butt to get sighted in and adjusted for your rifle. ONce its there though...its there and will stay.   I have it on a L1A1 .308 and lets just say it shoots well.  I would never put it against one of my bolt rifles but if you were a diaper head at 500yds..........you would soon learn the truth to the whole 70 virgin theroy.  So basically, what I am saying is that it is good...actually beats Leopold Varx II's in brightness(not warranty) in my opinion.  I think I can say this as a Baush and Lomb, Leopold, Steiner, and Leica owner.  If you can get one for a good price I would get it, sure no one will think you are cool at the range, but you will hit your target.  There are those that say an AK is a piece of junk...it is.....but it shoots every time and does its job even if it is not a work of art. KNow what I mean? 
Rich2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2013 at 15:24
On the Uni-Dial does the elevation turret, with the 10 flags for varying zeros, have clicks like the windage turret or does it move with no clicks?
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2013 at 15:58
I hope your question gets answered. But this has to be the oldest resurrected thread I have seen here at O.T.
Doug
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic