OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Pistol Optics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pistol Optics
    Posted: February/15/2010 at 14:41

I have a Walther SP22 that I want to put some sort of cheaper optic on just to mess with and see if I like pistols with either a scope or a red-dot.  My goal is to test it on the little 22 and if I like it but one on a 6" DanWesson 357 Mag for my woods gun walking in to put out corn or just walking in the woods during season. or just hell to shoot it versus Iron sights.  Any suggestions on things to be warry of when adding optics to pistols?

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2010 at 17:38
It ruins the handling characteristics of a pistol so it should be a dedicated hunting set up not a gun you would use for carry.   Command Arms makes a GIS Weaver style scope mount for glock that attaches to the rail below the barrel and has a cage around the barrel making a rail above the barrel.  Since the SP22 has a similar rail you might be able to use that to mount a red dot anything heavier than a dot will probably be really awkward on a light weight 22.    I know you are not going to want to put a lot of money into the dot so you might look at this one.
Bushnell 1x25 Trophy Red Dot Sight 3 MOA Red Dot Bushnell 1x25 Trophy Red Dot Sight
Stock # - 731303
  • Matte
  • 3 MOA Red Dot
  • CR 2032 Battery
$139.95
Add Bushnell 1x25 Trophy Red Dot Sight to Cart
When it comes to the .357 you would be better off going to a traditional optic like a Burris 2x
Burris 2x20 Handgun Scope Plex Burris 2x20 Handgun Scope
Stock # - 200218
  • Matte
  • Plex
  • 1"
$209.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2010 at 19:32
Thanks, the SP22 has a rail on top as well, it was an optional feature I picked up for about 10.00 on ebay.
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2010 at 23:55
For a 357 Mag I would go with a 2x Burris or Leupold.
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2010 at 00:01
You might find it fun to mount a laser on the 22 also.   Pretty cool that it has a rail on top already  How is it as far as reliable function?   I have had a bunch of 22 pistols over the years and nothing but ruger has been really reliable.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - February/16/2010 at 00:03

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2010 at 06:27
it has not failed to fire or eject yet.  Its really a neat gun to shoot but boy is it a pain to clean.  I will get some pictures this weekend for yall.
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2010 at 07:34
Originally posted by Ernie Bishop Ernie Bishop wrote:

For a 357 Mag I would go with a 2x Burris or Leupold.

Both are great choices for your final buy if you decide you want to scope your 357. As much as I like Leupold I had to go with Burris for my 357. I wanted a larger objective and Burris offered it at the time. But be careful with burris, they measure the outer dimension of the obj. bell and not the actual lens. I called c/s and told them that I was dissappointed that they did that and that it was misleading. The rep didn't seem to be very concerned and only offered to reimburse if I wanted to send it back. I swore off Burris after that but, after giving the scope a fair chance I have changed my mind. I still dont like how they mislead but the scope is top notch. I set the zero 16 yrs ago and have not had to adjust it since. The glass is great and I like the variable 2x7x32. The only thing that is a bit tricky is the power setting shifts eye relief right much.
As for a low cost option I don't know what you consider low. The burris was around 360.00 and I don't know what kinda quality you can get for under 200.00. Good Luck!
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2010 at 07:39
On eye relief for a 2x, is it going to be where you can look through the scope with an outstretched hand?  Or do you rest it on something and then adjust your eye.  I figure with what my purpose is I will need to be able to get on target semi-fast at full ready to shoot position.  Would a red-dot be the best way to go?
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2010 at 07:45
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

On eye relief for a 2x, is it going to be where you can look through the scope with an outstretched hand?  Or do you rest it on something and then adjust your eye.  I figure with what my purpose is I will need to be able to get on target semi-fast at full ready to shoot position.  Would a red-dot be the best way to go?

Shooting with outstretched arms should be very easy. 
I keep both eyes open.
It may take awhile to get used to a LER  scope (especially at higher magnifications), but I prefer them more than dot scopes myself.
That is a matter of preference after using both.
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2010 at 16:45
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2010 at 09:33
I use a cheep Baraska site on my Beretta Neos, overall the whole package is pretty pitiful, but it's cheep to shoot and my 15yr old daughter enjoys shooting it.  So I guess its perfect.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
troweler View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troweler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2010 at 16:27
I have a 44mag S&W performance center revolver and have tried several things on it. First was a reflex circle dot that paralax gave me a fit past about 25 yards. Next a 4X leopold, nice sight but to hard to hold steady offhand had to be propped and really messed with the balance and feel. Finally settled on an Ultra dot red dot 1 moa. It's small, light, and paralax was no problem out to 100 yds. I've switched back and forth between that and irons for a couple years now. For me nothing feels as right as open iron sights.
Atheism is a temporary condition. TRUTH, like gravity will not be altered by what we believe.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2010 at 16:32
heres the walther, just waiting on the decision and here is the Dan Wesson.  Anyone know if the DW has the same grip features as a S&W and if so what model.  I have been looking for different grips for it and someone told me that it was the same as one of the S&W but didn't know what frame size.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2010 at 16:38
Looks like a "J" frame.  I may be wrong it's been a while since I played with wheel guns.
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2010 at 23:51
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

Looks like a "J" frame.  I may be wrong it's been a while since I played with wheel guns.
J frame is the 5 shot 38 wont be that.   It will either be K frame or likely L frame.   N frame is the 44 frame.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2010 at 06:14
Its a 357/38 6-shot if that makes a difference
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic