OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

redfield 6x-18x five star scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nockhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: redfield 6x-18x five star scope
    Posted: February/15/2010 at 07:20
 Hi all. I am new here. I am looking for some info on a scope. I have a Redfield five star 6x-18x scope. The problem is the paralax ring is very loose and the cover that screws on the end jams the paralax ring. I have the info on the two places that repair the older Redfield scopes. I was wondering if it worth sending it out for repair? Where these scopes made in the USA, are they quality, or just a cheaper way to market the Redfield line?

Thanks
Mike
"aim high and let em fly" quote from my son Nick
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2010 at 08:46
I have a 3-9X40 and a 4-12X40AO and I like them.  If everything else is working, I would send it in!  I'm guessing you'll have to spend upwards of $200.00 to get some comparable and maybe even more.
take em!
nockhunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nockhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2010 at 08:45
 I never used it, it came on a rifle I picked up a few years ago. I replaced it with a 4x-12x VX1. I picked up a 22-250 and was shopping for a scope, when I realized that I had the Redfield sittting around. I wanted to know if it was worth repairing and any other info, like where it was made and quality of the line.

Mike
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2010 at 13:06
seems like it might have been on an older scope rating scale... like 06 or 07... not sure though, try doing a search.
take em!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nockhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2010 at 14:05
 I've searched the web but the older or newer scopes keep popping up.

Mike
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2010 at 21:31
The Redfield 5 Star replaced the "Traditional " line in 1985.  They were the top of the line " Round Scope"....except I think Redfield did make a few ROUND Illuminators.....

They were a good scope, but so much good stuff has emerged in the last twenty years that all of the older scopes are not going to be as bright as the newer stuff.....but they will still work....if they ain't broke!!   Bucky

The Five Stars were made in Denver.  
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2010 at 21:55

These old Redfields still get around $200 used.I would think the 5 Star would be a better scope than a VX1.That Redfield 5 Star is no slouch,I would spend the money to fix it.

Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2010 at 22:40
I would fix a 5-star Redfield.  The later ones will hold up pretty well against many of the newer scopes.  I agree that you can not get any scope for under $200 to replace it expecially in that high magnification.  I am sure also that the scope needs parallax control above 10X, so it needs to be repaired.  The shop in Florida that will take Redfield scopes for repair, bought all of Redfield, Denver's parts when they liquidated.

IMHO, they are better than the VX-1 Leupold (I sold my VX-1) and I still have my older Redfield Illuminator.  There is a message there somewhere.

Edited by Oldtrader3 - February/17/2010 at 22:42
CDR3
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2010 at 21:48
Originally posted by nockhunter nockhunter wrote:

I've searched the web but the older or newer scopes keep popping up.

Mike

I meant to do a "search" on this site!
take em!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nockhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2010 at 19:56
 I bought the VX-1 because it was the only 4x-12x that didn't have adjustable paralax. They are bulkier and weigh more. I feel that I and most hunters don't need adj paralax for big game at ranges to 400-500 yards. Now a varmint rig is another story, where a small paralax differance could be a big misssssss. Just my personal opinion based on my experiences in the field.

Mike
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nockhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2010 at 19:58
 Sorry I forgot to thank you all for the info. I am probably going to send it out.(if it doesn't cost too much)

Thank
Mike
Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2010 at 07:03

Sorry I forgot to thank you all for the info. I am probably going to send it out.(if it doesn't cost too much) Send it out for repairs and let us know how much it cost to fix.The Redfield 5 Star is worth fixing. 

Thank
Mike
Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2010 at 07:05
Originally posted by Randall45 Randall45 wrote:

Sorry I forgot to thank you all for the info. I am probably going to send it out.(if it doesn't cost too much)  

Thank
Mike
The Redfield is worth fixing,let us all know how you make out.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2010 at 08:51

ABO WILL FIX ANY ISSUES AND RECONDITION IT FOR YOU FOR LIKE 30-40... THEY ARE OUT OF FLORIDA...

No one
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic