OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Low-profile Rail for Remington 700 ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbrake12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low-profile Rail for Remington 700 ?
    Posted: February/15/2010 at 02:12
I'm looking to convert 4-5 of my 700s to rail type quick detachable mounts so I can swap scopes around easier. These are hunting rifles, .223, .270, .300 RUM, .338 WM, and will be used mostly between 0-400 yds.

I notice that alot of rail mounts seem to sit pretty high. I don't want to give up the low close-to-barrel stance that my scopes currently have. Does anyone make a thin low-profile type rail? Any suggestions on rings?
Thanks!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2010 at 06:26
Couldn't you use the rail you have now and just get Quick Detach rings?

Edit -
I assumed you have a rail now you like.  Do you.

Edited by SVT_Tactical - February/15/2010 at 06:56
Tbrake12 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbrake12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2010 at 14:26
I don't have a rail now, I have the Leupold bases with dovetail in front and windage screws in rear..
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2010 at 14:33
I would put a 1 piece 0moa base on them and use the quick detach rings on the scope(s), figure out which scope/rifle combo is the highest you need to clear and thats what rings you get for all them
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2010 at 14:57
You have short-action and long-action listed, be sure the scope to swap has the rings spaced such that it can go from the .223 to something else.

The least expensive (good) solution would be to get EGW rails for all the guns, and SWFA has the 0 MOA rails in stock (or they did 2 weeks ago.)

As Tactical said, if you want close-to-gun mounts, get 0 MOA bases.  if you get 15- or 20-MOA bases, they will mount close at the objective but higher at the ocular.

Be advised, moving scopes between guns requires a certain degree of finesse, since you will need to track multiple zeroes on that scope, one for each rifle to which it gets mounted.  It ain't impossible but it is a complication.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Tbrake12 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbrake12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2010 at 15:29
Alright... Who makes a high precision/quality steel rail that is 0 moa and is offered in long and short action?? I'll need 3 long and 1 short.  Also... I'm assuming I will have to use standard picatinny spaced rails in order for the scopes to mount on both short and long actions??  Would the seekins low-pro hunter rail allow this??  Is it steel or alum?  I've just about settled on Leupold QRW or Warn QD rings. Thank you all for the info, I really appreciate your concern and help!!
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2010 at 15:32
brav302 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brav302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2010 at 19:09
I have the same problem.  Here is a couple pics of my Rem 700 with the warne tactical 0 MOA base and low warne maxima rings.  I would like to have it mounted lower. 
Tbrake12 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbrake12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2010 at 19:39
Brav302, what is the outside diameter of your objective bell and what is the distance off the barrel?  Your setup may be perfect for me as I have a 52 mm scope in the pack... Thanks!
brav302 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brav302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2010 at 20:43
The objective is 42mm.  It is the SS 3-9x42.  It is 3/8 inch off barrel. 
Tbrake12 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbrake12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2010 at 00:33
Yep, I need to go lower too.... Thank you very much for those pictures, they were very professional and helpful!  I blew your side-shot picture up in size until your scope tube reached 30mm, then I measured everything on the screen... 

Looks like the center of your tube is approx 1.150 from the rounded top of the receiver front. I have a Kahles 4-12x52mm on my 300 RUM and the same measurement is .975.  That is the biggest scope in my arsenal and I'd like to stay very close to that height for all my scopes/guns. 

I just ran across this rail and it looks thinner/lower than any I've seen just going by pics. Anyone have any experience with these??

Tbrake12 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbrake12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2010 at 02:40
I emailed a few places and found the following base heights.
These heights are from top of reciever (front) to very top of rail.

Warne  0 MOA  .288

PRI
02-216-04  .287
02-216-05   .354
02-217-01   .287
02-217-04   .245
02-217-06   .347

EGW .350

From what I have found, Warne has the lowest real-looking Picatinny type rail for the 700. And Burris has the lowest weaver/picatinny rings (Low Zee rings are either .130 or .195? from top of base to bottom of scope tube) If anyone has other brands/info or feels like measuring, I'd be interested to know the results...
Thanks!
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2010 at 09:12

The lowest set up I could find for rem. and 50mm was the warnes. The feet length on the leos are shorter than the a typical picatinny/tactical ring so you will have clearance on both weaver and pictatinny rails. As I recall IOR has thelowest rings.

Tbrake12 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbrake12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2010 at 17:24
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

The lowest set up I could find for rem. and 50mm was the warnes. The feet length on the leos are shorter than the a typical picatinny/tactical ring so you will have clearance on both weaver and pictatinny rails. As I recall IOR has thelowest rings.

What are you calling the feet? The cross-block that fits in the picatinny slot? Or are you saying that there is an air gap between base and ring?  Leupold Claims .230 from top of base to bottom of scope tube on their Low QRW rings.  Are you saying that this number is different, or is it different with weaver bases but correct for true picatinny?? 

You have a nice, low, optimized setup, but I need 1 piece bases on all guns to insure that I can swap scopes around between long action and short without changing ring spacing.

I want to use a steel, 1 piece picatinny rail, steel rings, and not be over .475 between receiver top (front section) and scope tube.  Wish I could get somebody to make me a custom height rail....Wink
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2010 at 18:57
tactical rings or picatinny rings usually longer clamping legs, so when used with weaver bases they can actually hit the gun before getting tight, leos prw and qrw are weaver so this won't be a problem .
whether you need to change ring spacing by moving the entire scope forward or back, will be determined more by the length of pull and what you are using the gun for. the only thing you can hope to gain is moving it as one unit.
low one piece units have the disadvantage of restricting access to the loading opening and any finger movements that may be involved.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2010 at 21:47
Give some though to if you will be running flip up lens caps.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Tbrake12 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbrake12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2010 at 03:22
Yes, I want to be able to move the scope and rings as one whole unit from gun to gun, whether it be short or long action.  And as far as eye relief goes, I'm the "long-necker" type that has more trouble getting his scope far enough forward, as opposed to rearward, another reason I need picatinny grooves well ahead of the two rear base screws.

Leupold QRW 1" Low rings claim to be .230 from top of base to bottom of tube. Am I right in assuming that the ring bottom sits down tight on the top of the rail with no gap?  I'm sorry for being so uneducated, all I've used for years are the dovetail rings, this rail/weaver stuff is new to me and I haven't had my hands on it yet Big Smile

Urimaginaryfrnd: I dont use the flip-ups, the Zeiss Conquest type lens covers are my favorite type, super fast and easy... some of mine even have notches cut for barrel clearance! Big Grin
brav302 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brav302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2010 at 12:43
If you decide to go wih the Warne base let me know.  I think I'm going to have to go to a two peice base to get it as low as I want.  We can work out a deal if you don't mind slightly used.
Tbrake12 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbrake12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2010 at 15:53
Brav302: Are you thinking about using the weaver-style 2 pc Warne or Leupold Bases?  I've determined that you 30mm guys have even more trouble getting low than I do, as most low 30mm rings are higher (base-top to scope-center) than 1" stuff. 

I'm also guessing that the bolt heads start getting in the way if you try to have a normal picatinny that is low-pro. All of the low rails I have seen, had slots placed where they totally avoided the bolt heads.

I really like the looks of these rings, just wish they were lower.

brav302 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brav302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2010 at 19:33
I was thinking of trying those Talley LWs with the integrated base and rings.  Everyone seems to really like them.  I just need to crunch the numbers and see if they are going to be low enough to be worth it.  Warne has rings similar to those TPS but they only make them in medium.  I had those before I tried the Maxima low rings. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic