OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Blued or Stainless

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silvertrac51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blued or Stainless
    Posted: February/14/2010 at 16:36
I have a TC stainless with the stainless 30/06 barrel. Trying to decide if the BLUED scope or the STAINLESS scope will look the best.

Looking at: Leupold VX3 -   4.5-14X50  silver
                  Zeiss                3.5-10X50  silver
                  Nikon Monarch  2.5-10X50  blued

Opinions appreciated.

Thanks, CLewis
pass-thru View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pass-thru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2010 at 17:18
I would get a matte scope.  I have a stainless omega that I bought 5 years ago.  I paid 20 bucks more to get a stainless scope.  The rings and mounts are matte.  Now that I have a new scope for that gun, I have nothing to do with the silver scope because it would look like crap on black barrel.  I will never buy anything but matte from now on.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2010 at 00:55
I prefer the matte scopes.  I also tend to wrap camo form camo tape around the rifle to tone down the stainless when hunting and it also serves to help keep it from getting beat up in the safe.  A couple of suggestions about the scopes you are considering. Leupold this year has some scopes that are CDS  custom dial system so they engrave  a knob that you would set on 1 for 100 yds set it on 2 for 200 yds  set it on 3 for 300 yds  based on info you send them on what bullet you are using in what caliber at what elevation and temperature.
Also I see that you selected 50 mm optics and I will say that a 40 mm objective will be bright on 6x and a 50 mm objective will be bright on 7x in low light so all you gain is about one power more of the scope being bright which to me is not critical.  I will say I do like a scope in the 4.5 to 14 range or a 4-16  but for hunting even a fixed Leupold FX3 6x42 with long range duplex is an awesome choice. I would consider that and the Bushnell 4200
4-16x40 with rainguard finish and I would also consider the Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-10x56 which has an illuminated reticle. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2010 at 01:02
Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope Long Range Duplex Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66820
  • Matte
  • Long Range Duplex
  • 1"
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
$429.95
Add Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope to Cart 
Leupold 4.5-14x40 VX-3 Riflescope Duplex Leupold 4.5-14x40 VX-3 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU59270
  • Matte
  • Duplex
  • 1"
  • Custom Dial System
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
$549.95
Add Leupold 4.5-14x40 VX-3 Riflescope to Cart 
Bushnell 4-16x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope Multi-X Bushnell 4-16x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
Stock # - 424164SF
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • Rainguard
  • Side Focus
  • Free Fleece Pullover (Mail-In Coupon)
$499.95
Add Bushnell 4-16x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope to Cart
Trijicon 2.5-10x56 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope Mil-Dot Crosshair w/ Amber Dot Trijicon 2.5-10x56 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR222
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot Crosshair w/ Amber Dot
  • 30mm
$819.95 
Add Trijicon 2.5-10x56 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope to Cart 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Quoddy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quoddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2010 at 08:07
Another vote for matte. I, very briefly, had the thought of putting on a silver when I bought my SS barreled Cooper. I'm very glad I didn't.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2010 at 08:41
Matte 3-9X40 Conquest.... you'll love the reticle and glass!

Edited by Tip69 - February/15/2010 at 10:40
take em!
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2010 at 08:43

Matching a silver scope and rings to a stainless barrel can be difficult , but can also look very impressive if done correctly.  I usually buy matt rings and scopes as they look great on any type of finished barrel.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2010 at 09:06
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

Matching a silver scope and rings to a stainless barrel can be difficult , but can also look very impressive if done correctly.  I usually buy matt rings and scopes as they look great on any type of finished barrel.

my thoughts exactly, you can make a black scope look fine on blued, and imo you can make a stainless scope look good on blued too. my old varixII silver i have on my .300win mag matches the browning stainless pretty well though.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2010 at 10:23
Agree on the matte. Ya never know, you may wish to sell it later on...and the matte ones tend to sell easier (IMO). 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2010 at 12:59
Matte
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2010 at 09:16
+1 matte
Lowglow View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lowglow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2010 at 11:55
I would have to agree with everyone else.
I have a SS Target Barrel on a Savage Rifle and I added painted it with Duro-Coat in a Camo pattern, and like someone else said, if you want to later on sell or Trade your scope off you would fair better with a Matte one.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic