OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

difference between vortex viper and PST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 16:02
Does this have any validity?  Are these claims off-base?

Has anyone else had any issues with the VORTEX PST series looking at the 6-24 ???
No one
NC_Army_Guy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NC_Army_Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2011 at 10:37
Lapua,

I have two of the 6-24x50 SFP Vortex PSTs.  One is mounted on a 6.5x284 (only zeroed at 100, but shot great; however, I need to get a 40MOA (yes 40) base to have the 100yd zero at the bottom of the scopes elevation settings.  Haven't tried tracking with this one yet.

The second is mounted on a custom .284.  Just shot it this weekend.  At the lowest elevation settings with a 20 MOA base, I was 2.5" high, one hole, at 100.  Good deal, I can live with that.

Took it out to the farm to shoot a 600 yd. steel plate.  Elevation adjusted for distance.  15 shots, no issues.  Back to the house and 100 yards, dialed back to the zero stop.....3 shots, one hole, only 3.5" high.....can't live with that.

May not seem like much, but for me for any distance shooting, a scope has to have accurate tracking.  I plan on testing the 6.5x284 soon to see if any tracking issues develop with that PST.  If so, they're both going back to Vortex.

Haven't shot at twilight or towards the sun, but I didn't have any issues with white-out.  Glass at 24x isn't excessively clear, but was great at 16x and below.  I don't expect a scope on max power to be super clear, though.
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2012 at 19:07
can we get some updates on these?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2012 at 06:49
Originally posted by jjrgr21 jjrgr21 wrote:

can we get some updates on these?
what do you want to know
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2012 at 22:48
i know when the pst was first released there were issues. i was just wondering if this was still bugs being worked out or what?
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2012 at 07:16
Originally posted by jjrgr21 jjrgr21 wrote:

i know when the pst was first released there were issues. i was just wondering if this was still bugs being worked out or what?
That was all taken care of when they stopped production and changed.  They seem to be holding up just fine now.  I have one that has given me no problems at all.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2012 at 10:18
Originally posted by Scott_at_Vortex Scott_at_Vortex wrote:

Originally posted by Idaho Scot Idaho Scot wrote:

Scott,  Is the Viper HS based off the PST or the Viper line?  

Yes, the HS is based off the PST.  We had a lot of requests to do a hunting version of the PST's , so along came the HS series.

Scott

No offense Scott, but Vortex missed the boat, IMO, by putting 1" guts in a 30mm tube (HS line).  12 MOA/turn in a 30mm tube doesn't make sense to me.  
RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2012 at 12:06
I have a 3-9x40 BDC Diamondback that whites out some aswell but its not to bad. I was very impressed with it.

Did a small tracking test on it... 40 clicks up is 10" pretty neat for a hunting scope.

Haven't read any reviews saying it whites out or flares. Idk why mine does. Minor but it does it in sunlight and not.
Old Mil ftw
Scott_at_Vortex View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott_at_Vortex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2012 at 12:12
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

Originally posted by Idaho Scot Idaho Scot wrote:

Scott,  Is the Viper HS based off the PST or the Viper line?  

Yes, the HS is based off the PST.  We had a lot of requests to do a hunting version of the PST's , so along came the HS series.

Scott

No offense Scott, but Vortex missed the boat, IMO, by putting 1" guts in a 30mm tube (HS line).  12 MOA/turn in a 30mm tube doesn't make sense to me.  

I am not sure I follow. They use they same erector tube as the PST's. Really the only difference a larger tube makes is more travel. The 12moa per turn has nothing to do with the size of the tube. The less travel in the HS's is simply due to the low turret design. This is also why the HS LR has the same overall travel as the PST, but I am still not sure I fully understand what you are referring to. Maybe you could elaborate a bit for me.
www.vortextactical.com

www.vortexoptics.com
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott_at_Vortex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2012 at 12:16
Originally posted by RotoReuter_DM RotoReuter_DM wrote:

I have a 3-9x40 BDC Diamondback that whites out some aswell but its not to bad. I was very impressed with it.

Did a small tracking test on it... 40 clicks up is 10" pretty neat for a hunting scope.

Haven't read any reviews saying it whites out or flares. Idk why mine does. Minor but it does it in sunlight and not.

I have seen very few scope that do not wash out to a degree in the sun light, including the most expensive scopes out there, but that being said I would make sure your lenses are clean. If they are dirty or dusty this will multiply washing out by quite a bit.

Scott
www.vortextactical.com

www.vortexoptics.com
RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2012 at 12:26
Thanks Scott

Ill check it tonight for dirt. (It was the display model) local store was all out besides the display.

Very pleased with the tracking I couldn't believe it. It even returned to zero very well and POI did not change from 9-6-3x.
Old Mil ftw
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott_at_Vortex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2012 at 12:30
Originally posted by RotoReuter_DM RotoReuter_DM wrote:

Thanks Scott

Ill check it tonight for dirt. (It was the display model) local store was all out besides the display.

Very pleased with the tracking I couldn't believe it. It even returned to zero very well and POI did not change from 9-6-3x.

Good to hear. I would definitely check for dust then. Dust is the worst when it comes to shooting in to sunlight. Kind of like driving into the sun when it is coming up or going down with a dirty windshield,same effect.

www.vortextactical.com

www.vortexoptics.com
lumberjack149 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lumberjack149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2012 at 12:41

I am not sure I follow. They use they same erector tube as the PST's. Really the only difference a larger tube makes is more travel. The 12moa per turn has nothing to do with the size of the tube. The less travel in the HS's is simply due to the low turret design. This is also why the HS LR has the same overall travel as the PST, but I am still not sure I fully understand what you are referring to. Maybe you could elaborate a bit for me.
i assume this is what JGRaider is complaining about.Beating a Dead Horse

JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2012 at 13:19
I'm not complaining about anything first of all, just making an observation.  I was hoping Scott would comment on why, in the HS (not HS LR) I can get more MOA per turn, and total adjustment in a Conquest or VX3, both low turret designs, than I can in a HS 4-16x44.  Anyone can tell by looking at the pics of the HS that the std MOA turrets are meant to be twisted since they're higher than normal.  There are also markings on the turret so you'll know which revolution your on and not lose track.  With that in mind I was wondering why the design limited it to such small MOA adjustment,  That's all I'm wondering about.  I'm wanting to scope a 7mag and was interested in this scope.  Not at all interested in the LR version (once again no offense).  Thanks.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2012 at 13:29
HowdyHowdy Scott,  glad to see you back.  Hope you stick around again, It was always a pleasure to have you here.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott_at_Vortex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2012 at 13:32
After reading the other thread, I believe I understand what you are referring to.  I wont go into the reason why you can get this amount of travel and that amount of travel as it goes into a little more of the technical aspect that would take me way to long to type, but I can assure you their is a reason for it. It comes down to focal length/overall optical design, and last and least turret design. 

With the HS's we were aiming at a target market. In the other thread Bitter Roots pretty much summed it up in his first post-

"Well, that scope is aimed at "set it and forget it" hunters. capped, low profile turrets. The 30mm tube was probably chosen for two main reasons: People want it and it probably saves manufacturing costs when the rest of the HS line is 30mm.

Dialers would likely prefer the HS LR, which has 75 MOA total adjustment and a whopping 24 MOA in a single turn. 1/2 MOA makes sense in a LR hunting application, IMO.

20 ounces isn't exactly a heavy scope either. Not light, but not too heavy."

That being said, the HS's will handle dialing no problem. It just wasnt the main focus when designing them. In the HS's case, the scope has the room in the tube for the extra travel ,but in order to not have a taller turret(because of the optical design) it was limited.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards
Scott

www.vortextactical.com

www.vortexoptics.com
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott_at_Vortex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2012 at 13:34
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

HowdyHowdy Scott,  glad to see you back.  Hope you stick around again, It was always a pleasure to have you here.

Thanks man, we have been pretty swamped around here so I dont get much time to check out all the forums, but I do scan them on a pretty regular basis.

Scott
www.vortextactical.com

www.vortexoptics.com
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2012 at 13:35
cool, i want to replace a MK4 with the pst 2.5-10 on my groundhog gun. hopefully the glass will be close.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2012 at 15:34
Scott, fair enough, and thank you for the candid, honest answer.  I appreciate it.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic