OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

difference between vortex viper and PST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cruft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: difference between vortex viper and PST
    Posted: February/14/2010 at 07:47
cruft View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cruft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2010 at 07:48
cruft View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cruft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2010 at 07:49
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2010 at 08:11
Man...go easy on your keyboard!!!Wink

I'm sure Sam@Vortex will chime in on this, but basically, the Viper is a hunting scope line, and the Viper PST is intended for precision shooting and tactical use.  The PST line includes tactical style knobs with zero stops, reticle illumination, and tactical style MOA and Mil ranging reticles.  I'm not sure if PST is the same optically as the Viper hunting series, but Sam can confirm.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Scott_at_Vortex View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott_at_Vortex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2010 at 07:50
Cruft,
       Rifledude pretty much covered it. Overall the  PST's are built tougher and are optically better than the hunting series. The PST's were designed from the ground up. In other words they are not just a beefed up Viper hunting scope.

Scott
www.vortextactical.com

www.vortexoptics.com
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2010 at 08:14
Scott......... glad to see you hear!  Look forward to hearing more from you.  I have 3 Vortex products and I'm thrilled with them.  My Razor 8.5X50 binos are amazing and my Son's 4-12X40 Diamondback has served him well so far.  Also have the 6-24X50AO Crossfire SWFA Exclusive and I look forward to getting to know it better!

Welcome to the OT Smile
take em!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2010 at 08:15
Hi, Scott.  I'm pretty sure the 1-4X24 PST will be the scope I choose for my "soon to be completed" AR build.  When will this scope be available?  Also, will first focal versions of this scope be available, or will they all be SFP?
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott_at_Vortex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2010 at 08:20
As of right now only the 4-16 and 6-24 will be available in FFP. The 1-4 will also find its way on to a couple of my AR's. We are hoping for them to be available sometime in the spring.

Thanks
Scott
www.vortextactical.com

www.vortexoptics.com
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2010 at 09:48
If the PSTs are tougher and optically better than the Vipers, then they are going to be very impressive scopes.

Scott_at_Vortex (and anyone else chiming in)
What are your thoughts on the MOA vs MIL reticles for the PST?

Edited by Alan Robertson - March/02/2010 at 09:49
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott_at_Vortex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2010 at 11:16
Originally posted by Alan Robertson Alan Robertson wrote:

If the PSTs are tougher and optically better than the Vipers, then they are going to be very impressive scopes.

Scott_at_Vortex (and anyone else chiming in)
What are your thoughts on the MOA vs MIL reticles for the PST?
That is really just up to the users personal preference. I prefer mil reticles, but that is what I am use to.

Scott 
www.vortextactical.com

www.vortexoptics.com
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2010 at 11:39
Alan,

Since both MOA and mils are measurements of angle, it is really a matter of personal preference. Some people prefer MOA because it has finer subtensions (distance between ticks or clicks, so to speak). Others (myself included) prefer mils because it is more common to use a mil-dot reticle for ranging. The important thing is to get a scope that has matching turrets. That way, if you are using a mil-based reticle you can dial in the amount of correction based on what you see through the reticle, e.g. if you are shooting at a target and see that the round impacted 2.5 mils below your point of aim, you can dial in 2.5 mils.
It doesn't matter what the distance to the target is because you're making an angular correction.

The same principles apply to MOA turrets/reticles. What bites is having to make corrections while converting between two different units of measurement. So whichever reticle you choose, just make sure you get turrets that match.
Reaction time is a factor...
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2010 at 14:01
That's another nice thing about the PST's--they only come with matching reticles and knobs.  That prevents the inexperienced from buying a mismatched scope before they know any better and wanting to get rid of it as soon as they figure it out.
Mike from Texas View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike from Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2011 at 14:02
I purchased a Viper 6.5-20 x 44 about 15 months ago based on talking with some folks claiming it was on par with a Leupold VX-3.

In that time I have had 2 times where the scope has completely washed out on me, to the point I could not even see the target. The original one was replaced by Vortex, even though they said they could find nothing wrong with the scope.

I had the same thing happen again on a hunt I was on at the first of February. The conditions were approximately 4PM in the afternoon, sun still well above the horizon, facing west/southwest trying to glass a ridge about 400 yards away. The scope once again again went completely white one me. It was the same regardless of where I was in the magnification range and I did have the sunshade installed on the scope. I had another rifle with me that has a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14 x 50 and this scope did not experience this problem, it was crystal clear.

I called Vortex up and spoke with them and they have sent me a 6-24 x 50 FFP MRAD to try as a replacement. I really hope it suits my needs because this is a very nice scope. If it performs to my liking they are offering me an upgrade to the PST, so in their defense, they are trying to make sure I am a satisfied customer.

I will post updates as I move forward.

Shenko View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2011 at 17:21
"trying to glass a ridge about 400 yards away"?
Idaho Scot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Idaho Scot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2011 at 17:52
Scott,  Is the Viper HS based off the PST or the Viper line?  
kyblev View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kyblev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2011 at 07:18
I looked at the Vortex scope line this past weekend at a National Gun Day show here in Kentucky.  I was looking (hoping) to find a good quality scope and had setteled on three brands, Nikon, Vortex and Leupold.  Got lucky as there were several scopes to look at as well as a Vortex dealer.  I was really interested in the Viper PST line, because of great reviews.  Did my own research on all scopes before going and found out that Vortex scopes are made in three different countries (Razor line Japan, Viper&Diamondback Philippines, Crossfire China).  After finally getting my hands on a Viper PST, I really liked the scope and it was clear enough, but felt I was buying a high dollar Nikon with a different skin and name.  Well after much debate and going back and forth I finally settled on a scope.  I was not either of the above it was a Zeiss Conquest.  Once again all the scopes above are really good choices, just liked all the features and optics better than the rest and at about the same price.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott_at_Vortex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2011 at 08:26
Originally posted by Idaho Scot Idaho Scot wrote:

Scott,  Is the Viper HS based off the PST or the Viper line?  

Yes, the HS is based off the PST.  We had a lot of requests to do a hunting version of the PST's , so along came the HS series.

Scott
www.vortextactical.com

www.vortexoptics.com
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike from Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2011 at 19:00
Originally posted by Shenko Shenko wrote:

"trying to glass a ridge about 400 yards away"?

Guess I should have clarified. We were trying to get a kid an elk, a particular elk that he had drawn a tag for. The elk were on a ridge about 400 yards away. I was the only one with binoculars and they were just a 8x28 pair that I use for bowhunting and we could not pick out the particular elk we were looking for. So, since I had a 6.5-20 on my 6.5-284, I used the scope to try and find his elk since it was more powerful glass.

Hope that clarifies.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike from Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2011 at 19:11
Originally posted by Mike from Texas Mike from Texas wrote:

I purchased a Viper 6.5-20 x 44 about 15 months ago based on talking with some folks claiming it was on par with a Leupold VX-3.

In that time I have had 2 times where the scope has completely washed out on me, to the point I could not even see the target. The original one was replaced by Vortex, even though they said they could find nothing wrong with the scope.

I had the same thing happen again on a hunt I was on at the first of February. The conditions were approximately 4PM in the afternoon, sun still well above the horizon, facing west/southwest trying to glass a ridge about 400 yards away. The scope once again again went completely white one me. It was the same regardless of where I was in the magnification range and I did have the sunshade installed on the scope. I had another rifle with me that has a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14 x 50 and this scope did not experience this problem, it was crystal clear.

I called Vortex up and spoke with them and they have sent me a 6-24 x 50 FFP MRAD to try as a replacement. I really hope it suits my needs because this is a very nice scope. If it performs to my liking they are offering me an upgrade to the PST, so in their defense, they are trying to make sure I am a satisfied customer.

I will post updates as I move forward.

Alright as promised here is my update. I received the 6-24 x 50 EBR-1 MRAD FFP (Model PST-624F1-M) scope last Wednesday. I will say that this is a good looking scope with a lot of features for the money. However, unfortunately the glass is not up to par with the rest of the scopes in the same price range.

While it was not as severe as the hunting series of Viper scope, it still had the same whiteout problem in late evening setting sun conditions. For reference I had my 700 SPS Tactical with the 4.5-14 x 50 Leupold Mark 4 scope set up side x side with the PST. Again, no matter how I positioned my head I could not make the Leupold wash out. The PST would do it with regularity. In addition, I wanted to check the low light capabilities while I had it. I was very disappointed in this performance aspect. In the last 5 minutes of legal shooting light at any power above 8 the scope would white out and I could no longer see the target. Again, the Mark 4 performed flawlessly.

I REALLY wanted the PST to be a great scope. It has a lot of features that I really like, unfortunately the glass is sub par, by a lot on a scope that costs this much money. Vortex has been bending over backwards to try and make me happy. I have no issue with them.

If they will step it up in the glass dept, the PST will be a great scope. Until then, my recommendation is to look elsewhere.

skeeeter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skeeeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2011 at 03:40
I was going to buy the Vortex PST until i heard this review. There are too many good scopes out there without this problem. It is too bad as it has all the features I wanted.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic