OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold VX-1 or Rifleman or Others?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bad aim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold VX-1 or Rifleman or Others?
    Posted: September/04/2005 at 15:13
Which of the two would be a better choice? Both their 2-7x are the same price

Edited by bad aim
308LAW View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308LAW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2005 at 10:21
vari-x 1 is a little better than the rifleman. You should really consider some other options that are much better than these. I have been very disapointed in Leupold since they redid thier line. the rifleman really sucks I dont think its much better than a tasco, the vari-x 1 arn't much better. The vari-x 2's are great scopes but Luppy priced themself out of the market on these. Look to Burris, Nikon, Bushnell Elites, Sighttron intsead, you will be much happier. The Burris Fullfield II with Balistic plex are a very good bargain.
bad aim View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bad aim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2005 at 17:19
Thanks for the response.

I am looking at the Burris Fullfield II line. I am looking for a scope under $200 (I already have an Aimpoint and Bushy, just need a nice, basic, scope that I can tinker with )

Are there any "good scopes" under $200 that are illuminated that you would recommend?
ajlandis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajlandis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2005 at 20:07

Check into mueller optics.  Their selection is a bit limited, as they are a fairly new company, but I own two and am very pleased.  They have a 2-7x32 "shotgun/muzzleloader" scope.  It has a duplex reticle with a 1 moa dot and a larger circle.  The dot illuminates.  The step up from that is the 3-9x40, then the 3-10x44.  The only complaint I have about these two is that the target-style turrets have 1/8 moa adjustments, whereas the 2-7 has 1/4.  These two have a "german #4 reticle" with 1" illuminated dot.  I own the 3-10x44 extreme, which is not illuminated, but has 1/4" clicks.  Absolutely love it, especially for the price.  They're all fully multicoated, nitrogen filled, etc.  I'm usually skeptical of new companys, but the quality and value of these tubes is hard to ignore.  There customer service is wonderful, too.  Rich Schlamp is the owner and he is frequently looking for ways to improve his product line to meet our needs.  He stops in at savageshooters.com regularly to get feedback and answer questions.  Go look him up, or start a thread asking him some questions.  He'll show up.  He wants to talk to shooters, not just hide behind an office door talking to engineers.  That means something to me.  If you have a problem, HE will deal with it.  Ask around, and you'll hear good things.  If you get a bad response, ask that person if he has ever looked at one.  Granted, they are not $1,000 euros, but I believe they give a good run to scopes costing twice the money.  Just my opinion, but I'm sticking to it.  And no, I don't work for them.

Justin

bad aim View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bad aim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2005 at 20:52
Yeah, I have heard good things about them (From ARFCOM). Question is, are they as bright as Burris scopes? I mostly hunt at dusk/dawn and need all the light gathering qualities as I can 
ajlandis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajlandis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2005 at 21:36

I don't own any burris', but I have heard them compared favorably to the ffII's.  The signatures and black diamonds are supposedly brighter.  I have a vari x II that doesn't measure up to the extreme.  I also have a rifleman that doesn't have a prayer.  The 3200's I've used are close, but the 4200's are better.  Don't know about the sightrons.  I don't think you'll find a brighter scope for the money.  If you do, let me know and I'll buy 10 of them.

Justin

PS  Don't buy one from muellers website.  You can get them cheaper from other stores.  It's some kind of contract thing.

Edited by ajlandis
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2005 at 23:15
The best glass and adjustments for $200 is Sightron S2 3-9x42. Burris Fullfield II is pretty decent also and offers an intresting reticle.  Mueller makes some decent scope, but I do not think that their optics are at the same level as SIghtron S2.  Nice for the money and some interesting features, but not as good on the basics: optical and mechanical quality.  I think that Mueller is a serious competitor to Simmons Aetec and such, but not to Sightron S2 or Burris Fullfield II.

Ajlandis, if brightness for a couple of hundred bucks is what you are looking for, start stocking up on Sightron S2 3-9x42.  The best price I've seen on these was offered by Chris of SWFA in a different thread on this forum.

Ilya
ajlandis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajlandis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2005 at 16:15

Bad Aim, what are you planning to do with this scope?  Do turrets hold any value for you?  How important is illumination?  Are you wanting the best scope for $200, or do you want the best scope for the least money?  I have heard the SII's are very nice and their reputation for repeatability is undeniable.  Likewise on the quality of the FFII's.  But I've never owned either, so I won't pass judgement.  But what I do know is that the two muellers I have are both very repeatable (which may not be of much importance to you), and the glass beats the hell out of the two leupolds and the 3200.  The only complaint I have is that the eye relief is a bit sensitive.  Are they as bright as the SII's or the FFII's?  Again, I don't know.  What I do know is that the 2-7 sells for $129 and the 3-9 for $134.  And like I said, I don't think you'll find a brighter scope for the money.  If the extra $50 doesn't mean much to you, well, I've never heard of a SII or FFII owner who was disappointed.

Koshkin, when the SII's start selling for $134 dollars, I'll stock up. 

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2005 at 16:23

Fair enough, for $134 Mueller is hard to beat, except for eye relief.  I have a Sightron S1 3-9x40 with Mil-Dot, though that is quite decent, and might give Mueller a run for the money.

Ilya

bad aim View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bad aim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2005 at 18:38
Originally posted by ajlandis ajlandis wrote:

Bad Aim, what are you planning to do with this scope?  Do turrets hold any value for you?  How important is illumination?  Are you wanting the best scope for $200, or do you want the best scope for the least money?  I have heard the SII's are very nice and their reputation for repeatability is undeniable.  Likewise on the quality of the FFII's.  But I've never owned either, so I won't pass judgement.  But what I do know is that the two muellers I have are both very repeatable (which may not be of much importance to you), and the glass beats the hell out of the two leupolds and the 3200.  The only complaint I have is that the eye relief is a bit sensitive.  Are they as bright as the SII's or the FFII's?  Again, I don't know.  What I do know is that the 2-7 sells for $129 and the 3-9 for $134.  And like I said, I don't think you'll find a brighter scope for the money.  If the extra $50 doesn't mean much to you, well, I've never heard of a SII or FFII owner who was disappointed.

Koshkin, when the SII's start selling for $134 dollars, I'll stock up. 

I'm planning on hunting with this scope, mostly in dusk and dawn where a nonilluminated reticle would be difficult to aquire. I'm looking for the "highest quality" (probably pretty much rediculous at this price range) scope in the $200 range. Turrets- dosen't really matter. I'm looking for a scope with a generous eye relief
ajlandis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajlandis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2005 at 21:00

How important is the illuminated reticle?  I don't know of many scopes that have that and are $200 or less.  That's one reason I mentioned the muellers.  For the money, I think it would fit the bill, except for the fact that the eye relief is 3.25", and a bit touchy.  Coincidentally, I have a FFII on the way from swfa that should arrive mid-week.  I'll compare this to the Extreme and let you know how they look.  The illumination for the FFII is another $100, though.  Also, don't rule out a sightron SII.

Justin

308LAW View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308LAW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2005 at 18:57
You are asking a lot. Good bright glass and a illuminated recticle for $200 LOL. Fortunatly there is a solution(kind of). The Bushnell 3200 Firefly is kind of an illuminated recticle, while the glass is as good or better than the vari-x 1 and rifleman, it is not even closs to the vari-x2 or the Fullfield 2. I suspect the S2 Sightron is much better also. I hunt dusk till dawn durring deer season and have never missed having an illuminated recticle. I would use one hunting coyotes in near dark though. Real Illuminated recticle scopes with good glass cost at least 2-3 times the $200 cap you set.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2005 at 19:53
A proper illuminated is hard to get in this price range.  The best glas for $200 is SIghtron S2 3-9x42, but the reticle is not illuminated.  In very low light conditions, you probably want to have something like an illuminated dot in the center of the reticle and Mueller is the only company that does it the right way in this price range.

Another candidate would be an ATN 5x33 scope that is in that price range and has decent glass and illumination, but their assembly quality can be spotty.  Elite 3200 with Firefly is an option.

Some of Simmons Master series scopes will have illuminated reticles at reasonable prices, but those scopes are not here yet and the jury is still out on them.

It is a tough choice.  If an illuminated reticle is a must Mueller is vastly superior to stuf like BSA or Millet.  If you can live without illuminated reticle go with Sightron.  Otherwise, get ready to spend more money.

Ilya
bad aim View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bad aim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2005 at 16:39
Ah. Thanks for all the help, guys. 
ajlandis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajlandis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2005 at 19:55

Recieved the FFII yesterday, and got to compare it to the mueller extreme for a bit today.  Only got to take them outside and glass the farm across the road.  Overcast day.  Set the burris on 5 3/4X and the mueller on 6 1/4X.  The burris has the advantage in clarity and brightness.  It's not much of a difference, but it definitely exists.  The power ring/eye piece being one-piece is very nice.  Wasn't sure if I'd like that, but I do.  The eye relief was actually pretty comparable.  The only complaint I have about the burris is the clickers.  The knurled area to be gripped isn't very thick.  They are, technically, finger adjustable, but for someone who has arthritis or the like, it could be a pain to adjust without a coin.  The mueller has target turrets that are easy to move, and the clicks are positive and quite audible.  You can feel the clicks on the burris, but they aren't quite as sharp.  Same for the sound.  If someone is speaking, it's possible that you may not be able to hear the clicks.  But if this will be strictly a hunting scope, that won't matter much, anyway.  The FFII measured up to the hype, thus far.  If you want a hunting scope for cheap, I would say the mueller line.  If you can afford $200, I like the FFII.  Impressive for the money.  And the binos aren't a bad kicker.

Justin

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic