OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

discontinued rifles ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: discontinued rifles ?
    Posted: February/13/2010 at 20:40
 what ever happened to the wssm[ winchester super short mags] I'v noticed that no one lists them and I was also surprised to see that remington discontinued there 798 and799 rifles along with the model 7 CDL rifle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2010 at 07:56
WSSMs didn't sell well and didn't offer much in the way of advantages over some other standard cartridges and the WSM family.  Plus, there have been some feeding problems with the short, stubby WSSMs, along with reported accuracy problems with the rifles they were chambered in.

As for the 798 and 799, I suspect they too didn't sell well.  The Serbian made (same country of origin as the 798 and 799 barreled actions) Model 5 rimfire was also discontinued.  I haven't heard they were discontinuing the M7 CDL; are you sure about that one?  It is shown in the 2010 Remington catalog and on their website... http://www.remington.com/product-families/firearms/centerfire-families/bolt-action-model-seven.aspx
and I saw it at the SHOT show, so if they've decided to discontinue it, this decision had to come within the past couple weeks.  Where did you hear it was discontinued?

I'm most saddened to see Big Green discontinue the M700 Mountain Ti.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
gun74 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2010 at 15:21
I saw it on the Remington website when I clicked on centerfire rifles and the 798,799 and 7cdl were listed as being discontinued.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2010 at 16:23
I've got a friend with a Remington 700 in .243 WSSM.  Has a Leatherwood M1200 on it.  Laser beam accurate and he doesn't cycle rounds fast enough to ever worry about a jam.  I haven't talked to him about shooting in a couple of years, but he killed a beaver at a little over 700 yards with it a couple of years ago.  Made me proud, I set it up and sighted it in for him...
He still has a little sticker shock over the price of ammo, though...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2010 at 16:49
Originally posted by gun74 gun74 wrote:

I saw it on the Remington website when I clicked on centerfire rifles and the 798,799 and 7cdl were listed as being discontinued.

Well... you could be right, but here's the link for the 7CDL, fresh off their website, and I don't see anything about the M7 CDL being discontinued anywhere.  FWIW, it's listed in the 2010 catalog as well, and it was at this year's SHOT show.  If they discontinue the 7CDL, the only remaining M7 they will have left is the M7 Predator, so I sure hope they don't discontinue it or they may as well discontinue the M7 entirely.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
gun74 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2010 at 18:18
go to bottom of remingtons website and click on centerfire by caliber link and there will be a note in the top left corner indicating models discontinued and the model 7 cdl has this mark beside it in every caliber that it was available in 
gun74 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2010 at 18:25
my mistake it was only discontinued on certain calibers and not the model itself. I apologize
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic