OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Out to 800 yds max

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2010 at 10:30
IF you're goind go to be target shooting as well with this gun and for hunting and going to go with a 3x9 I would go with the SS simply because of the internal adjustment and reticle. Or wait for the Vortex like they said above.  IF its stricly a hunting rig and limited target, then the Conquest should be great, not saying its not for target too.

What are the chances you use this gun for hunting and buy like a 308 or something for the range?  Keep that in mind. 
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2010 at 10:33
I actually plan on building three over the next year or so. a hunting set-up, a target set-up, and a AR. My pistol doesnt count (Sig P229 DAK nightsights in .40)
You don’t know what you don’t know.

And those who don’t know and never try, never will.

helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2010 at 10:38
In all the guiding I have done for elk hunting, I have never heard anyone regret having a low powered scope.  I have had many hunters want to shoot themselves after missing that bull because they had the scope turned up too high.  I wouldn't get a scope over 12 to 16x on the high end for hunting.  16x will be high enough for 800.  I have shot out past 1200 with 16x on targets (I am not very good at those ranges but it is fun).

I will side with the guys recommending a 3-9 or 2.5-10.  Great mag range for elk.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2010 at 10:47

Geniuses, i swear it!

You don’t know what you don’t know.

And those who don’t know and never try, never will.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic