OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Two Remingtons, One Choice.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Two Remingtons, One Choice.
    Posted: February/13/2010 at 06:04

700 Sendero SFII or 700 XCR II. Hunting 98% of the time, chambered in 7mm RM. Which one, and why?

You don’t know what you don’t know.

And those who don’t know and never try, never will.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2010 at 08:45
I don't know anything about the XCR, except what is advertised, but the Sendero is a highly accurate "out of the box" rifle.  There are several shooters at one of the ranges I go to who use them... the Sendero has a great feel, good balance, great performance.  I've fired the 7mmMag and .300WM versions, one with a Meopta scope, one with a Swarovski.  Both rifles perform as well as the shooter can...

XCR has some good acvertised features, but I just can't say.  The Extreme Weather coatings may have some advantages in wet and/or snowy climates...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2010 at 08:51
Yeah, I've always heard good things about the Sendero, so I guess I really should of named this post the XCR II, to see if anyone has had any experience with them, which there should be someone in here that has.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2010 at 10:11
My first generation SF "Sin-dero" was very accurate.
.300 RUM in caliber and a well built weapon. Can't comment on the Sendero II's though.
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2010 at 10:28

I have a funny story actually about the first gen sendero. Mom's bf(same one from MUDDUCK story) had one in .300 WM, and i had a savage 7mm RM mag, both of us sitting next to each other at the range, both shooting ballistic silvertips (winchester) and he shot 4 of my 7mm mag through his .300, and still hit paper at 100! Luckily he saw that he was all over the paper, and realized what he did, and cursed me for putting my rounds next to his

LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2010 at 10:35
i like the sendero alot, but im not an expert when it comes to long rifles.

Edited by LRSMike - February/13/2010 at 10:38

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2010 at 10:36
I had the first gen. Sendero as well in 7mm RM.

I think Remington did a fine job developing this rifle.

The only problem I see with using it for hunting 98% of the time is it's a little on the heavy side. I think 8.5 pounds dry... no bullets, scope and hardware, sling, etc. Depending on how you hunt, terrain, etc. that may not be an issue.

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2010 at 10:39
I stalk terrorists with 100 lbs of gear on in 145 degree heat(summer). I don't mind if my monster slayer is a little chubby Big Smile

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2010 at 10:50
Originally posted by LRSMike LRSMike wrote:

I stalk terrorists with 100 lbs of gear on in 145 degree heat(summer). I don't mind if my monster slayer is a little chubby Big Smile

opps, I deleted and posted again...

Then I guess the Sendero will be perfect for you!!!

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2010 at 10:52
plus, you can always sit down, or put the ol bipods down if it starts getting on your nerves

cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2010 at 10:52
I personally would go with a XCR LR tactical in a .300 wm (they don't chamber a 7mm). It has the black  trinite finish over a stainless barreled action, b&c stock ,40x trigger . It's 8.5 # also .

I just think for the money they are the best deal remington has currently. A Sendero with an aftermarket trigger would cost more. And the Alaskan Wilderness II is practically the same gun with a blueprinted action and costs a grand more !! I have an XCR Compact tactical .223 and it is a awesome shooting gun.........surpassed my expectations !
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2010 at 15:25
I used the Sendero SFII this year in Montana and while it is highly accurate, it is damn heavy.

Edited by lucytuma - February/13/2010 at 15:26
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2010 at 19:03
I used to have a sendero in 300 ultra also, very accurate and yes a little  heavy. If I were to do it again with your two choices, I would pick the sendero , mainly because of the H-S Precision stock. I camt stand those Remington tupperware stocks!
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2010 at 21:54
You guys are getting me excited.  Just bought a Sendero SF II in a 25-06....

Not sure what it will be used for, but price for a new one seemed good, now for glass...
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic