OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Has anyone purchased one of the package Savage rif
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Has anyone purchased one of the package Savage rif

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hometheaterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Has anyone purchased one of the package Savage rif
    Posted: February/11/2010 at 16:54
So I see lots of the package rifles from Savage. More so than not. Walmart sells them, Bass Pro sells them, and local gun shops sell them. They all seem to have the cheapo Simmons Blazer scopes on them.

My question is has anyone bought this package? I know the scopes are crap when it comes to clarity and vision in low light. That's not what I'm asking. I'm not looking for recommendations for other scopes nor to hear how crappy this one is you haven't used it or how it's not clear.

I just wondered if for those that have bought them and used them with the scopes that came on you did the scopes fail you? If so how long did they last? Or are the scopes still going? If you changed the scope was it because it failed or because they weren't very clear?

Now obviously I wouldn't buy a Simmons Blazer scope but I've got a few friends with them and then seeing how many of these rifles are sold with them it makes me wonder if they are all really that bad when it comes to holding zero. Or if they work and hold zero and just aren't very clear. That's why I'm asking.

Also what caliber rifles were they on?
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2010 at 16:58
yeah i bought one here few years ago. wasnt to bad of a scope on think it was tasco tho. i think i still have it around some where. the rifle i dont burned the barrel up shooting to  many hot rounds down it. not good for light barrel rifle.
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
AstroVic View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AstroVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2010 at 17:01

While I'm a huge fan of Savage rifles and I own five of them, I generally avoid package rifles.  In most (probably all) cases, you'd be much better off just buying the rifle and putting a better scope on it.

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2010 at 17:02
I wouldn't but the combo for the scope. That said, if you can get a really good deal on the rifle buy it and put some better glass on it.
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
atvalaska View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atvalaska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2010 at 21:04
I picked up one of the combos @ sportsmanswh the other day...2 toilet paper tubes with glass in them came to mine..........
tls
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2010 at 21:27
There was a guy with one at the range last time I was there and he was under 1/2 inch groups at 100 with the Simmons scope - the only thing the set up had going was accutrigger but the guy knew what he was doing with his custom hand loads.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
TominCA View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TominCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2010 at 20:06
My son got one in 243 a few years ago. The package actually could kill pigs pretty well and both the scope and the rifle were good for the money. The scope had some problems holding zero and was eventually replaced (rings and all) with a Burris fulfield II which was much better. If you are just an occasional weekend hunter the package will be okay but if you do more then its best to  replace the scope.  The rifle was no frills but grouped 1.5 inches without load development. The accu-trigger worked very well.
Tom in CA
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2010 at 17:22
Well I think your success with the Simmons will be caliber based!  I bought a package 110FXP in 270Win.  The blaser just won't hold zero with the heavy kicker.  Most all of the Savage pack deals are sporter barrels.  I got mine from Wally World for $377 which was cheaper than I could find the gun alone.  The Simmons seems to be doing okay on my son's 308 but he doesn't shoot nearly as much as I do!  Granted my package gun had the cheapo synth stock but it does have the accutrigger and she is quite accurate and stable with a bushy 4200 3-9X40 in 1 piece lightweight Talley's on her.

So IMHO go ahead a buy the package you'll probably get a better price than if you buy stand alone.  Just expect t o have to replace the scope almost immediately if you chose a heavy kicking caliber.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2010 at 08:59
  I have bought 2 packages, both about 10 years ago and they both had tasco scopes.
 One was a 243 with a 3-9 which I kept on it for about a year then upgraded to a 4x leupold( that cost more than the package).
 The other was a 22-250 same scope and it also stayed on for a while,now it carries an Intensity 4-12, that is now called the Weaver 44/40.
 For the price of the package You usually get mounts, rings, sling and sometimes a hard carry case, so just for the extras it is worth the price even if you sell the cheap scope for $20 you come out ahead.
 Oh one last thing both of these rifles shoot better than moa@100 so they have stayed in the safe.
froggy
coyotehunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyotehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2010 at 13:01
I bought one about 2 years ago.  Its a .223 Rem so the recoil isn't hard so it holds zero fine.  It's also pretty clear for the price, but mine came with a Bushnell.  I'm going to replace it soon but not because it dosen't hold zero or isn't clear, I just want a scope with higher mag as well as a larger lense.  Over all it's a good deal to start out with.
reddnek View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2010 at 06:13
I bought one from a local pawn shop in 270 WCF.i didn't fire a shot untill i replaced the P>O>C> that came with it with a Nikon Bushmaster 3x9. It now holds just under an inch.
REGULATERS!!!!!!!!!
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2010 at 09:31
I ram hunt with a guy who has one of the packaged deal set ups. Can't remember if it is a simmons, or a bushnell on it, but either way he dropped a ram from 130 yards out with his. "He usually hunts with a 30/30 open sights, so any scope for him is a pretty good one I guess" He took an Axis doe with the same set up the following year at about 90 yards. Claimed the gun hadn't been shot in a year and was just in a hard case in the closet. Hope this helps.
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
hood5467 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hood5467 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2010 at 06:51
i purchased the savage 308 package and outside the scope this is the most accurate gun ive ever owned however i have the solid wood version the synthetic stock model i own is not near as accurate and feels like a toy.
hood5467 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hood5467 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2010 at 06:53
anyone try one of the leupold replica scopes? I saw the actual comparison done between the real leupold and the replica and was really surprised you can see this on 1337 tactical website the replica actually did very well
Jakobead View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jakobead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2010 at 14:16
My first rifle was a savage 110 package in the .243 winchester love the gun but the scope leaves something to be desired, it wont hold zero. Not being from a hunting/shooting family that package series took some of the confusion out of buying my first rifle and the scope worked just fine to practice with. 
 I bought this one,  to replace it, its in the mail right now.

Edited by cyborg - February/23/2010 at 14:28
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2010 at 14:29

1.  Keep it clean.  If you have to ask your self whether or not it's clean.........don't post it.  This includes images too, no blood, guts, nudity, etc.  Only respectful "Hero Shots" of harvested game can be posted.  Pictures of bloody game, game hanging or game in the bed of pick-up truck are not respectable.

2.  No personal attacks.  If you think someone is an idiot, (chances are) everyone else does too.  No need to post it.

3.  Do not advertise our competition.  We work hard to gain the respect and support of our customers.  We also offer a 110% Low Price Guarantee.

4.  No religious discussions or politics unless it relates to guns, optics, and or shooting.

5.  PM stands for Private Message.  Do not publicly share PM's without the consent of the sender.

6.  The Optics Talk forum is not to be used as a customer service tool for SWFA customers.  Tracking numbers, Order Status, Credit Card issues, etc. need to be directed to our Customer Service Professionals at 972-617-7056 from 8 a.m -5 p.m CDT or via e-mail at swfa@swfa.com.

7.  For Sale ads are to be placed in Member's Trading Post area only.  Read the For Sale Rules prior to selling.

8.  SWFA's OpticsTalk forum is a peaceful community of like minded shooting, hunting and outdoors enthusiasts.  Open minded, logical, rational debates are healthy and welcome.  Close minded, agenda pushing, strong handed debates (bordering on arguments) to prove one's position or point simply for the sake of winning or to gain some perceived power are not welcome.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2010 at 14:34
damn gophers Wink
take em!
hood5467 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hood5467 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2010 at 15:02
ok got it. I am still wondering if anyone has tried a leupold replica without going ballistic over the whole China deal
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2010 at 15:21
I'm not even curious. I wouldn't mind a ballistic test on one though (use it as a target)
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2010 at 15:34
Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

I'm not even curious. I wouldn't mind a ballistic test on one though (use it as a target)

Thats would be a good use for one!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic