OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need Scope for AR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdstevens1370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Scope for AR
    Posted: February/11/2010 at 07:35
I have just a basic M4 style AR-15. I want to put a scope on it that will hold up good. I'm new to all the tactical talk, so keep simple please.

I'm not planning on spending a whole lot on this scope. I can only shoot 400yds at my current range. That is far enough for me.

I have looked at the Millet TRS-2 scope. It's around the price range I was looking to spend. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
SGT Stevens
US Army
mdstevens1370 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdstevens1370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2010 at 07:46
Also considering SS10x42. Just forgot to mention it.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2010 at 07:54
You say you have a 400 yd range but do you plan to use this gun for....... only long range? Home protection?  Target only?  You wouldn't want to have a fixed 10x on something you need to make a close shot on, but its possible.  Give us a little more insight to what the gun will be used for and it will provide a lot of better recomendations.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdstevens1370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2010 at 16:10
This gun is just for shooting at the range on paper targets and just playing around. I have other means of home defense.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2010 at 16:18
Then the 10x SS would be fine. and far better than the TRS2
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2010 at 16:21
Millett 1-4x24 DMS / P.E.P.R. Combo
How about this Millet? 1-4x24 DMS

Edited by BeltFed - February/11/2010 at 16:22
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2010 at 16:25
If it were me though I think i would want a variable or a fixed 4x maybe. You max range of 300 should be fine to engage on with a 4x.  You wouldn't have pinpoint accuracy with only that but for puching paper and having fun it would be great.
Not sure the max you wanna spend (if it is capped at the price of the 10x SS)  but these would be a good fit
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdstevens1370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2010 at 16:46
Thanks for the feedback. I don't really want a 4x. My friends and I have a tendency to start making the targets smaller as we shoot, just to see who can outdo the others. I'll look at the ones ya'll have suggested.
Tulie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2010 at 18:05
I like a wide field of view 3x9 on mine but just recently took that off and put a Buckmaster 4x14 with a mil dot on the one I use for varmint calling and plinking.  I am getting to the point where I like more power.  The Buckmaster is pretty amazing for the price and the quality in my opinion.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic