OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Crossfire

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmcollins77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Crossfire
    Posted: February/11/2010 at 01:47
Ive only read a couple hundred good reviews seems like on Vortex rifle scopes, yet all of these reviews are on Vipers and Diamondbacks. Are the Crossfire Series a decent scope as well or are they junk? I was considering the 8-32x50 but just wandering if it is of similar quality of other vortex's? If this scope isnt of decent quality what is another high magnification power scope (at least a 32x on high end) that would be a good choice for around $300 or is there not such a thing?
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2010 at 07:36
I have the 6-24X50 Crossfire 1 inch version that sells for $99.00 and its fine for broad daylight paper punching.... what is your intended use?

take em!
hometheaterman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hometheaterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2010 at 12:16
I'm also wondering about this. I'm thinking seriously about the 6-24x50 Crossfire. How would this compare to the Burris Fullfield II's in low light? I want a clear scope that's good in low light but more importantly than that I want one that I'm not going to have to worry about losing zero if it's bumped around slightly or just going bad in a year or so. The Burris holds up great which is the most important thing to me. The second most important would be the clarity. IS the Burris a ton better scope or are the Crossfires great?
jmcollins77 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmcollins77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2010 at 14:26
kinda looking for a dual purpose scope, one for paper / steel at 1000yd, and also some long range predator hunting. 8 power is low enough in the conditions I predator hunt, anything closer can be taken with the 12 gauge beside me. Im basically just wanting the most bang for the buck.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2010 at 17:54
Originally posted by jmcollins77 jmcollins77 wrote:

Ive only read a couple hundred good reviews seems like on Vortex rifle scopes, yet all of these reviews are on Vipers and Diamondbacks. Are the Crossfire Series a decent scope as well or are they junk? I was considering the 8-32x50 but just wandering if it is of similar quality of other vortex's? If this scope isnt of decent quality what is another high magnification power scope (at least a 32x on high end) that would be a good choice for around $300 or is there not such a thing?
Quality glass trumps power. Always. High power magnifies the issues of a lower quality scope. If you are wanting 1000 Yds. Go with better glass under 16X.You will see more clearly. A 30mm tube will give a lot more internal elevation than a 1" tube. Elevation that you will need for that range. 1000 Yds is a hard test of even the best of equipment.

Edited by 3_tens - February/11/2010 at 17:55
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
coyotehunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyotehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2010 at 13:11
I was thinking about getting the Vortex Crossfire 6-24x50 with 30mm tube, but I also haven't heard anything about the vortex model.  Anyone have any imput on these scopes? 
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2010 at 18:21
I have had the 6-24x50 1" version on a heavy kicking spring gun for almost a year. It has been reliable and the glass is a steal for the price. The reticle has also been reasonably useful in the low light conditions I use it for on night time yard raiders.

Doug
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic