OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New Ar-10 or ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Ar-10 or ?
    Posted: February/08/2010 at 00:07
I have a buddy that may be in the market for a .308 semi-auto. And asked for my opinion, and I am asking yours! Please weigh in with the goal being basically the most band for the buck/accurate. Thank You!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 07:47
You say semi auto 308 any style or specific to the ar platform? 
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 09:46
Rock River if you can find it DPMS if you cant or if you can afford it an M1a.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 10:09
Armalite also makes a great .308 (and, technically, only Armalites are AR10s, unlike AR15s.)

DPMS is probably the best "bang for buck", I hear great thigns about their .308s.  I own an Armalite (A10) and it is a very good, very accurate gun - as standard-contour .308 ARs go.

Is it purely a target gun? 
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 11:12
I have the DPMS Carbine. It is extremely accurate even to be only a 16 inch barrel. They are not a light gun. Scope ammo and the gun weigh in at almost 12 pounds. Thats for the lighter carbine length.  
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 11:20
FNAR IS AWESOME FOR SHORT OR LONG DISTANCE MANY OPTIONS AND 1/4 TO 1/2 MOA ANY GUN OUT OF THE BOX... 
No one
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 15:52
Uh....M1A??
You can't trump it for coolness!!

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 15:54
Uh....M1A??
You can't trump it for coolness!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 15:58
It is ery cool, and a damn fine weapon, but not a "bet bang for buck" contender, I'd say.

Still, if one can afford it, there is little way to go wrong with it.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 16:57
has he got a price range? does he want a heavy duty 308 as in battle rifle? does he target shoot/ will it be scoped?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 17:00
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

It is ery cool, and a damn fine weapon, but not a "bet bang for buck" contender, I'd say.

Still, if one can afford it, there is little way to go wrong with it.

Ah yes. I missed that during my slurping over the M-14 platform.
My apologies, Gents.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 17:14

FNH makes the SCAR 17 too

Edited by SVT_Tactical - February/08/2010 at 17:24
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 17:25
fixed

the all caps messed me up

Edited by SVT_Tactical - February/08/2010 at 17:25
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 17:26
Start calling you "Qweeks Draw"...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 18:22
I'd get a Springfield SOCOM.....they tend to hold their value pretty well too.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 18:46
They do hold their value well (I sold mine for every penny in) but they ain't "precision" weapons, one could say it is more an area weapon.
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 21:51
As far as I know, it is just something to have. At first, he was intersted in the Sig 556. Now he is leaning towards the PTR 91 in .308. When I reserched the PTR, even on there web site they state between 2-4 MOA at a hundred yards. And I haven't talked to him about what his desires are specifically, but I dobt he would like that.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2010 at 00:51
Lost me for a minute there the PTR-91 is a clone of the H&K 91 and second cousin of a CETME which were the same build. I can only comment on the original H&K 91 having owned and gladly parted with two of them  way pre ban in the 80's.  The ones I had absolutely ruined the brass first time out leaving little lines along the case from a fluted chamber. I had issues with the adjustable gas system and never understood it well enough to get it really reliable.  In all fairness I will say that my M1a took me over a year to get it totally reliable and at one point had issues with it double ing which is a really bad thing and can get very unhappy responses from some agencies.  I did find a good gunsmith and the problem is fixed but I am still a little shy and prefer often to turn off the gas system and load single shot when shooting paper.  That M1a is a 2moa rifle my SOCOM has never had a problem. Ive also had the DPMS LR-308's and find them to be very accurate. I find the 16 in to be ideal and the 24 inch stainless bull barrel to be a intollerable anchor which should have been equipped with wheels.  The Rock River version in .308 is quite hard to find but Rock River makes a very high quality rifle and it uses FN FAL metric magazines where the DPMS uses its own mags and most recently PMAG has started making some to fit which I wish I had. I have looked over the new FNAR and am more concerned about magazine availability than any other issue it should be well made.  Out of all that are out there the DPMS is the bargain in the 16 in sportical which has no cover over the ejection port. The DPMS gun cut from 24 to 20 is almost as accurate as my  R5

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2010 at 21:14
After talking to my buddy a bit more, the fact does appear like an H&K is what he likes about it. Tried talking him into an AR based design, but he seems pretty set on this rifle. Thanks again, for for sharing your wisdom, and knowledge.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic