OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Conquest 50mm vs 56mm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Conquest 50mm vs 56mm
    Posted: February/07/2010 at 10:04
Gentlemen

How great is the difference between the Zeiss Conquest with 50mm lense (1" tube) and 56mm lense (30mm tube) in regards to low light performance?

Thanks
eurolynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eurolynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2010 at 10:25
I never had a Zeiss scope, though I do have two sets of their binos.  I used a little known brand called Seeadler (of Nuernberg) when I was in Germany.  They used to be awesome optics, but now are made in Germany, with almost all parts from Asia (see 'made in China' postings) I think only the turret caps, and reticles are made in Germany now.

A 30mm tube, and a 56mm objective was a German standard, but now that outside scopes (Leupold, Burris) are creeping in they are going toward US sizes.

The theory is a wider tube, transmits more light.  NOT TRUE!  But you do get more adjustments.  And the 50mm or 56mm lens really does not mater.  In Germany I used 40 & 50mm scopes, AT NIGHT, and I couldn't distinguish much between light transmission between my 40mm, 50mm and 56mm scopes.  It's is all lens quality, glass, and coatings that make the difference.

I do not think it  makes a difference,  because the Zeiss has such superior optics, your getting a super scope anyway. 

I would send John Barsness a PM or email, and ask him, I am sure he would agree with what I said.

After the US Government gives me my promised promotion in September I am getting the 3-9x Conquest.  I am sure it's quality could handle any low light problems I may encounter.
"Guns aren't toys! They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face!"
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2010 at 10:49

Koshkin can tell you the facts as to why...

I think I prefer the bigger just because I am a guy but I know bigger is not always better...

that being said my perception is that (what I think I see) is brighter not bigger and possibly not even brighter but I think it is brighter with the 56mm...
No one
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2010 at 11:42
It would seem to me, and with all things being equal, a 56mm scope lets in more light than a 50mm scope.  However, theres a point where the eye becomes saturated (if you will) with the amount of light the eye detects.

As mentioned, the lens coatings is where the real action takes place.  My 1" 50mm Swarovski is many times brighter and sharper than my former 30mm 56mm Springfield Armory.

As far as 30mm vs 1" scopes, there may be some additional light gathering but I only get those when I need the internal adjustment.
JimFromTN View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimFromTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2010 at 11:47
You did not mention what power scope you were using and what it was for.

As mentioned previously, the only thing a 30mm tube gets you is more adjustment, not light transmission.  They are suppose to be more rugged also which is the only reason I can imagine dangerous game scopes use them.  Why else would you need a 30 mm tube on a 1-4x scope other than extreme recoil.   If you are shooting long range and you are planning on using target turrets, then I can see a use for them.  If you are just going to sight in at 100 or 200 yds and never tough them again, I don't know why you would need them.

As for the 56 mm obj, it will give you more light transmission at higher powers.  I believe the exit pupil of the human eye is 7mm at best in total darkness, so you divide 56 by 7 you get 8 which means the 56mm obj does not help you until you are at least on 8 power.  So if you plan on taking long shots where you will be on 8x or more in low light situations, it will help you out.
greywolf View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 06:26
What is said is true on exit pupil.  I had a 3-12x56 30mm Zeiss Conquest and it gathered no more light at night/dusk than my 4.5-14x44 Zeiss.  It sure was a HELL of a lot bigger, though, and heavier.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic