OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

eyesight cataracts etc

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: eyesight cataracts etc
    Posted: February/06/2010 at 18:40
Posted similar on another board and all responses were favorable, pertaining to cataract surgery, and follow up shooting ability afetr the proceedure. Age and an odd blood cell issue have me on medication that has caused the formation of cataracts to be accelerating at a disturbing rate and Im looking at surgery for the cataracts in the near future. Some delay expected due to an experimental stem cell transplant expected in near future also. Major quetsion is, the restoration or more normal eye sight should result in some recovry of shooting abilty. This seems to be the more normal result. Does anyone have recomendations for the type of lens to use when the replacement is done. I have been far sighted with very good vision up until the regretable 50s and the discovery of glasses. I dont remember the designation but it was the ability to resove at several notches up in distance than the 20-20 rating, maybe a 20-12 ?? Shooting was good until  about age 63 then the appearance of more than one crosshair and sometimes more than one target( this leads to some real guessing games as to the best possiblity to match for the best result) Shooting a bow with peep gives multiple zero's.  Any how Id like to keep on shooting, and 600 yd is my favorite pastime I dont have a 1000yd range within easy drive access) and any recomendation as to the best lens for the right eye so as to maximize overall visual recovery, would be greatly appreciated. Really like to get rid of the double and triple crosshairs. Hope some ones optical accumen can help with this question. Thanks
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2010 at 22:36
The surgery should correct your double vision problem. My Brother-in-law just went through this and he is almost back to 20-20. Cataract surgery has gotten much better in the last 1-2 years. If you have a good doctor that is up on the latest procedures you should come out in good shape.
Good luck to you.
Lile
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
yobuck View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yobuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2010 at 07:34
i would encourage all needing catarac surgery not hesitate in doing it.
 my problem was mainly clouded vision. i was unable to clear up the focus in the large binnocs. i use for l /r  hunting.
 i believe my eyesite is better now than it ever was after 6 weeks following surgery.
 i was 20/20 within 2 weeks.
it was easier than getting a tooth filled in my opinion.
yobuck
onfinal View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onfinal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2010 at 22:33
A big +1 on the cataract surgery.  I wore glasses for 35 years and finally got to the place my vision couldn't be corrected to any better than 20/40 and 20/50.  Also had some astigmatism. 

I had cataract surgery plus small incisions to "relax out" astigmatism 5 and 6 weeks ago (my doc won't do both eyes sooner than a week apart), and am now 20/20 with no astigmatism in the first eye done (my shootin' eye!) and 20/30 with a small amount of ast. and still improving in the second.  Doc says I don't need a prescription, go to Walmart or Target and get some $10 reading glasses and come back in a year for a checkup.

It has opened up a whole new world of clarity and vividness of colors.  Only problem is, now I don't have an excuse for poor shooting.
cowski View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2010 at 00:07
i had vision surgery when i was 43 i can see better than 20 20 with both eyes.at first i had total vision but now its from arm length out.after surgery my iron sight shooting was poor.i could not focus as good on the front sight. the rifle matches i used to win i could not anymore ,but i would do it again in a heartbeat.
never corner something meaner than you are jbc
cruft View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cruft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2010 at 02:39
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic