OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Pentax DCF SP question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pentax DCF SP question
    Posted: September/01/2005 at 12:15
     I understand that most everyone on this forum would agree that the Pentax SP is one of the best Roof Prisms around $500.00. My question is about the exterior coatings. They are supposed to have a hydrophobic coating on the exterior lenses and I also read they have a scratch resistant coating. Is this true? If so is it like Bushnells Raingaurd and does it work just as well as Raingaurd at keeping the exterior lenses from fogging up? I was going to buy the Legends for around $300.00 mainly for the Raingaurd but I would spend a little more for better optics with the same water/fog repellent coating. Does anyone own a pair who can tell me. How good is Pentax warrany ?
Stephanie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Optics Goddess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2005 at 13:32
       The  Pentax has the  Aspherical optical elements that improves brightness and sharpness of all images, while minimizing disturbing distortions in any light condition. The Pentax is rated JIS Class 6 in waterproof ( JIS 6 - Watertight - Having no entry of water inside by receiving direct jet of water from any direction), which is very hard to find in optics, considering it goes from 1 to 8 with 8 being the highest. I don't see you going wrong with the Pentax SP. Fully multi-coated lenses for increased light transmission and Helicoid 4-stop eye piece ring for confortable eye relief. Fully waterproof, fogproof and nitrogen-filled. Just like the Bushnell rainguard it has water repellent coating on exposed lens elements. Best suited for outdoors/wildlife, sports, marine and birdwatching. Protected by a limited lifetime warranty.
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2005 at 16:10
Do all DCF SP binos have ED glass or just the newer models. I found a pair for sale but they did not list the ED glass in the description. Even if they dont have ED glass wouldnt they be better than bushnell discoverer or Pinnacles?
     Also, does the Hydrophobic coating on the Pentax DCF SP exterior lenses prevent fogging as well a Bushnells Raingaurd does? I want a pair for hunting whitetails in Arkansas from tree stands and field edges. Would 8x or 10x be the best for ranges from 20yrds out to 350 yrds. in determining antler points and scannning tree lines? thanks

Edited by DAVE44
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic