OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope ID and Evaluation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lonewolf603 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope ID and Evaluation
    Posted: February/06/2010 at 16:21
I'm new at this so have patience.  I just purchased a Winchester 264 win mag in at Winchester Model 70 XTR.  On the rifle is a Tasco 3X9X40.  It appears to be one of their older models because it is mostly metal.  At the back of the scope are two caps where batteries are inserted.  One cap is missing.  I have been unable to find the scope on the Internet.  I have not picked up the rifle yet but was wondering if the scope is even worth fooling with or should I just chunk it and start over.  I wanted to post some pictures - but have been unable to figure out howWhacko.  Any help or advice would be appreciated.  Also should I plan on getting different rings or what will these rings fit ?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2010 at 16:40
i would say forget about it and buy a nice scope, the .264 is my all time favorite round and should get nothing but the best you can afford.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
eurolynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eurolynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2010 at 16:44
If you want to pursue the issue try:  

http://www.abousainc.com/tasco1.htm

They would be the only ones I can think of.  You could see if Tasco (Bushnell owned) might help you, but the web page is very straight forward they don't cover the old ownership warranty.

Keep the scope for a .22 or something, I am sure you can get a scope, and all the good advice you will need here.

I am new here myself and I think this group of people are excellent.

I am from another forum that I have been a member of for 9 years, but it is all Leupold or nothing with them.  Here they seem to test them all, cheap to expensive. 

This crowd does things, I mean they really put them on a rifle and shoot.  None of this....."well I knew somone, who said somone told him.....blah-blah-blah..."
"Guns aren't toys! They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face!"
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2010 at 20:25
What do you intend to use the rifle for, that will make a difference on what we recommend.  If the Tasco holds it's zero, it would be okay for a few situations, but you can do better without breaking the bank.

Was this a new "package" gun... used.... can you tell what kind of rings are on it?
take em!
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2010 at 21:11
Nice gun it deserves good glass, upgrade to better optics....
lonewolf603 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lonewolf603 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2010 at 08:51
I purchased the gun for whitetail hunting here in MS.  It was purchased for those times I would hunting in an area that would allow a shot of 200-350 yards.  I occasionally hunt in CO and would probably carry it there also.  I will do some reading on this site to try and determine what scope might best complement the rifle to get the most out of it.  Most of our shots here in this state are less than 100 yards.  I have used Tascos in the past (308s & 30-06s)and have been pleased with their performance at these ranges.  I also have a 280 and 7mm-08 w/ Leupolds and have been pleased with their performance.  Just thought I would try the 264 as a flat shooter on some of the open long fields.  I didn't put any value on the scope when I bid on the package - however if it had any value - I didn't want to chunk it.  Guess I better save up and buy a scope befitting the rifle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic