OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Kahles ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kahles ?
    Posted: February/06/2010 at 09:57
Kahles has offered some of the best optics for the money period.  My question is why they are having such a hard time finding a long term distributor in the US ?  Is it a marketing issue, cost issue, warranty issue or what ?  I just can't figure out why we're not seeing more of their product.

Edited by lucytuma - February/06/2010 at 09:57
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2010 at 10:07
im wondering if its an importing issue more than anything, cause they make a damn good product no doubt.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2010 at 10:36
Part of Kahles problem is internal and part due to the American public.  Americans, right or wrong, want it "NOW".  Kahles has a company philosophy of maintaining complete quality control by constructing and, if needed, repairing in their facitilies in Austria.  I respect that, I even like that, and if I ever have a problem with my Kahles, I won't mind the wait sending it to Austria for repairs (wait, that would require patience... nah, I would just use another scope).  Sorry, but most Americans are not willing to purchase under those conditions, at least not in the volumes that make Kahles a truly viable market in a highly competitive market.  Kahles maintains its quality/integrity at the cost of market share.  They, according to their business model, would have to give up much to expand, increase production, increase repair capacity, etc.  

I've played with some Kahles scopes that I did not consider "exceptional", low end for Kahles.  The ZF84 is a truly remarkable rifle scope and even though I don't really have a rifle for it, yet, I'm am extremely happy I made the investment in it.  I hope nothing ever goes wrong with it, but if it does, I'll send it to Austria for repairs and wait for it to get back... patiently??? probably not...

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2010 at 11:07
you patient?? youve got to be jokingBucky
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2010 at 11:45
I think part of the reason is that, unlike the Euro market, they haven't had the longevity in the US market that their main competitors have enjoyed, and therefore they don't have the name recognition that Zeiss and Swarovski has.  SONA treated them as second tier to Swarovski, and therefore they didn't get the advertising/ marketing resources in the US that Swaro has.  A US consumer contemplating spending a premium price on a scope is more likely to purchase one with a "known" brand name that comes with certain quality expectations than take a chance on a lesser known product.  Outside of optics enthusiasts, I would venture to say the average hunter & shooter has never heard of Kahles, whereas Zeiss and Swarovski are as much household names as Leupold.  Once Kahles severed their relationship with SONA, they were faced with finding an importer / CS agent that understands optics, and their first post-SONA move to Legacy was a total bust.  This didn't help the situation any.  Whether Gamo USA will be an improvement remains to be seen.  Their product is awesome, but their advertising has been nearly nonexistant.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2010 at 22:28
Fully agree with that aspect as well, Ted...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic