OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Reblue old Savage Mk II

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eurolynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reblue old Savage Mk II
    Posted: February/06/2010 at 07:47
I made an impulse purchase from a Pawn shop in Norman (OK), it was a Mk II in .22LR, and after tax it was a whopping $60, and on the same day I got a Bushnell Banner 3-9 for $20 at a different pawn shop.

It shoots pretty good, I was shooting eggs at 50 yards.  Being of the old Savage era, it had the old sucky trigger.  But other than that I am pleased with my $80 (plus tax) purchase.

Buuuuuuut, I would like to do something about metal.  The barrel and action have seen better days.  I am considering using the 3 in 1 kit from Wonder Blue.

This has to be a DIY job, I kinda piddled away any disposable income on the Mauser project.  So I would appreciate any tips, hints or suggeasions.

Thanks, Jon
"Guns aren't toys! They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face!"
eurolynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eurolynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2010 at 07:49
Sorry I keep posting in wrong area, I just re-posted in firearms.....sorry.
"Guns aren't toys! They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face!"
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2010 at 14:40
I always wanted to try Oxpho-Blue from Brownells.  I guess you just rub it on with a cloth like you were shoe shining and then rub it with steel wool!!  Check out the Brownells catalog or website. 

Big Grin
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2010 at 17:52
 Oxpho-Blue gives a nice color to many carbon steels.
I have found it to work best if you apply it with fine steel wool. It seems to react with the steel wool and darken the gun steel better than if you apply it with a rag.
 Warming the gun parts in an oven until they are almost too hot to hold with light cotton gloves also makes the results far more pleasing.

It is not a real durable finish, though. It will fade in a few months or years.
But it's easy to reapply when needed. I always keep a bottle handy. I personally  prefer the liquid form to the gel paste.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic