OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

which brand in the $1200-1750 range

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 396chevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: which brand in the $1200-1750 range
    Posted: February/06/2010 at 00:22
hello I'm looking to get a pretty nice scope for my 223, and something I can transfer to a 338 lapua when I save up the cash. Long rang is my game,Sharp Shooter paper punching, varmints, whatever. Anyway I like high magnification scopes I have used a couple nice scopes in the power range of 4.5-14 and I think the other one went up to 20, anyway I still want more magnification. SO I have been looking, I really like the nightforce 12-42x56 NXS Big Smile But I was wondering who makes better scopes for high magnification? nightforce, IOR, Zeiss, swarovski, Leupold or??? I cant afford a hendsold or the high magnification Zeiss or swarovski that I would wantSad. But I can get a get the Leupold, IOR, or nightforce in the magnification I want. So If I haven't confused you too much,Question could you guys help me out?? Could you point me in the right direction? what experiences have you have with various brands and please include the power. Oh ad please forgive the icons I was having too much fun. I'm easily amused aren't I? Loco Thanks Pat 
Give a man a match and he will be warm for a minute,Light a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
casd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote casd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2010 at 21:19
I can't speak for the others but i have used the Leupold VXIII and Mark4 and IMO they do not compare to the NF 8-32x56 or 12-42x56. The NF has better glass, illumination, knobs and reticles. With higher magnification scopes you sacrifice FOV which may slow you down if you need to make a follow up shot. For that reason I would only reccomend the 12-42 if your minimum distance is 500yds. I have used my 8-32 on an R5 308 and am very pleased with the scope and magnification range at distances from 100-700yds. I believe it is more than enough to get out to 1000 while still being able to get a good look at your target.
What reticle are you looking for? I like the NPR1 if you plan to use MOA adjustments.
396chevy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 396chevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2010 at 22:54
LOL ok well I just got my self a nightforce NXS 12-42x56 with the NPR1 reticle, I was going to get a 8-32 nightforce but a friend of a friend had this one NIB for way way less so I got it, currently im using it on a 223 Im going do what I can to push the 223 to the limits ,but I hope to step up to the 338 lapua or possibly a 408cheytac. But since I'm still kinda learning the ropes I thought I would start off small with the 223. Thanks for the input! Pat
Give a man a match and he will be warm for a minute,Light a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
casd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote casd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2010 at 21:39
Congrats on the deal! Hope it works out for you. The NF will handle the recoil of any of those rifles, but I agree with that magnification range it won't do for hunting.
Don't get me wrong the Leoupold is a good scope, I have a few, but for the money of a Mark 4 you could add a coupla hundred and get a NF.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2010 at 22:18
high magnification on lower recoiling guns like a 223 make alot of sense, as it is easier not to loose the shot due to the recoil. With the recoil generated by the 338, you will loose the sight picture the higher the magnification goes, and of course a muzzle break would help. I use the 8x32 NF br on a trg in 300 mag. with good results at 32x but it works well on 22, which is the ranging power. I also use a 6.5x20 mk4 on a 300 win spr, which works well. Your choice should consider how much movement is in the targets your using.
Tulie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2010 at 09:07
NF is the cream of the crop for my eyes but the Zeiss isn't very far behind and in some cases better but good for you!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic