OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Absolute Keepers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Absolute Keepers?
    Posted: February/05/2010 at 19:58
This just popped up in another thread.

Do you have any scopes that are absolute keepers?

I am sure we all have particular guns that would have to be pried from our cold dead hands, but do you have rifle scopes (or binoculars and spotters, really) that you feel the same about?

Riflescopes:
For me, my three Super Snipers are absolute keepers:
10x42
10x42HD
3-9x42

Also:
Nimrod 6x40 (Israeli scope designed for Galil Sniper)

Binoculars:
Vortex Viper 6x32

Spotters:
I am not particularly attached to any of them.

S.S. scopes are special to me because I have absolute trust in these scopes and they also have some special significance to me because of how important the OpticsTalk community is for my way of life.

Viper 6x32 binoculars are on the list simply because I spent so much time and energy trying to persuade people that lower magnification binoculars have a lot more utility than they are given credit for.

While I am sure Vortex decided to make the 6x32 after extensive market research, I like to think that my efforts helped as well.

ILya

Edited by koshkin - February/06/2010 at 19:51
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 20:11
Absolute Keeper:

Zeiss Diavari 2.5x10x50 T* VM/V (being retrofitted with an elevation turret now)
Kahles 4x12x52 MultiZero (2 of them)
Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14x44 RapidZ 800 (wonderful clarity and resolution)

Keepers in waiting:
Kahles AH 3.5x10x50 TDS (a little parallax and glass not great but fits the trajectory on one of my rifles)
IOR 6x42 MP8 reticle with turrets (new and haven't made up my mind yet, good first impressions though)

Dispensable:
Burris Black Diamond 4x16x50 BMD
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 20:30
SS10xHD, Zeiss Diavari Victory 2.5-10, Kahles ZF84 (and I don't even have a rifle for it, yet), and Springfield Armory 6-20.  The Ellis Optics is also a keeper for me and I have a Leatherwood 3-9ART that is retired.  It is a keepsake, now.  

Edited by Kickboxer - February/05/2010 at 23:44
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 20:56
My Swaro. Z-6 (thanks to the samplelist)  hands down...which sits on my 'go-to' Tikka T3 30-06.   Second place (tie) would be my Zeiss Conquests.
smithrjd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithrjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 21:00
For myself I have three scopes, one set of binoculars and one rangefinder.
Scopes; Burris Signature Safari 1.75X5X32 witha 3P 4a reticle. It lives on a CZ550 in 9.3X62 and has been my go to rifle for the past 4 seasons. Never has changed POI.
Zeiss Conquest 3X9X40 duplex it has lived on a couple of rifles and has never let me down.
Kahles CL 2X7X36 4a a newer addition that I hope lives up to the others.
Binoculars; Minox BD 6.5X32IF love the glass and smaller size. Amazing bino for under $200
Rangefinder; Leica CRF1200 just plain does what it is supposed to do.
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 22:05
Zeiss conquest 4X32!
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 22:34
For now;

Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50 (Z-Plex)
Swarovski AV 6-18 (BR)
M84 (the one that came on my M1D)
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 23:03
SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope Mil-Dot SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS39X42
  • Matte
  • First Focal Plane Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 0.1 MRAD
$599.95
Add SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope to Cart 
Trijicon 1.5x16 Compact Acog Rifle Scope Amber Triangle Trijicon 1.5x16 Compact Acog Rifle Scope
Stock # - TA442
  • Amber Triangle
  • Free Lens Cleaning Pen w/ Purchase
Trijicon 3x24 Compact Acog Rifle Scope Red Crosshair Trijicon 3x24 Compact Acog Rifle Scope
Stock # - TA50R4
  • Red Crosshair
  • Free Lens Cleaning Pen w/ Purchase
Aimpoint CompM4s 30mm Red Dot Sight 2 MOA Dot Aimpoint CompM4s 30mm Red Dot Sight
Stock # - AIM12172
  • Matte
  • 2 MOA Dot
  • 30mm
  • Night Vision Compatible
  • Picatinny Mount Included
  • Spacer Included
  • Killflash Included
  • Bikini cover Included
Honorable mention goes to the discontinued 1x Burris scout scope on my 45-70 pistol its one tough little scope they finally got one right so they quit making it.
I also like my FX3 6x42 Leupold very much but would prefer the long range duplex to the heavy duplex that I have, still it is a very nice scope.  I can certainly think of several scopes I wish I owned  - Heinsoldt, Accupoint, Diavari -  might as well wish for a winning lottery ticket its tough to get to A much less to Z.  

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
greywolf View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2010 at 06:31
All of my Zeiss Conquests (2-8x32, 3-9x40 (2 of those), 4.5-14x44 Z800), Aimpoint Comp M4s, both Aimpoint Micro T-1s, SS 3-9 variable. 

I attribute my perfect success in taking every animal I went after in Namibia in 2008 to my Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 with #4 reticle - my PH loved it
308WIN View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308WIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2010 at 07:31
I am having to decide between my Zeiss Diavari 2.5-10x42 or the Schmidt & Bender 3-12x42.
I think I prefer the extra 2x on the top end vs the extra .5 power on the bottom.

At this point, I think i am keeping the S&B as my "keeper"

Differences:

S&B is bigger, heavier, "feels" and looks better built...No plastic, just exudea quality workmanship.

The zeiss optics are great but i think the S&B is tied with it. the Zeiss is nice and compact, lighter.

The turret construction goes to S&B, the clicks are all identical and the tactile feedback is consistent. Plus I like the indicator that tells you where you are in the adjustment range.

The S&B has noticeably more eye relief.

Specifications
Weight (oz): 20

Length (in):13.5
Eye Relief (in):3.7
Field of View @ 100 yards (ft):31.5 - 11.4
Exit Pupil (mm):14 - 3.5

Specifications
Weight (oz): 15.5

Length (in):12.3
Eye Relief (in): 3.5
Field of View @ 100yds (ft): 43.5 - 12
Exit Pupil (mm): 15 - 4.2

Edited by 308WIN - February/06/2010 at 07:40
eurolynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eurolynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2010 at 08:01
Man do I feel inadequate!

My best scope is a Leupold VX-II.  I was toying with putting a Zeiss Conquest on my credit card for the Mauser project, but feel lucky I can manage the Fullfield II for it.

Man does poverty suck or what?
"Guns aren't toys! They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face!"
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2010 at 08:12
Originally posted by eurolynn eurolynn wrote:

Man do I feel inadequate!

My best scope is a Leupold VX-II.  I was toying with putting a Zeiss Conquest on my credit card for the Mauser project, but feel lucky I can manage the Fullfield II for it.

Man does poverty suck or what?

I know where your coming from.  My Brother has a sign over his office desk that reads  " I've been RICH and I've been POOR, RICH IS BETTER " 

The classic understatement.
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Quoddy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quoddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2010 at 08:48
The best one that I have, and obviously my keeper, is a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 BT. Amazing clarity and useful range for everything from varmint shooting to bench. I haven't had this one long, but it has put my other scopes into retirement.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2010 at 09:04
My "keepers:"

Zeiss Diavari 2.5-10X50 w/ lit #8
Swaro Z6i 1.7-10X42 w/ CD-I
S&B Zenith 1.5-6X42 w/ Flashdot #9
Kahles CB 2.5-10X50 w/ lit 4NK
Kahles CL 2-7X36
Kahles AH 2-7X36 Rimfire
Zeiss Conquest 4X32
Leica Ultravid HD 8X32 bino
Leica Trinovid 8X50 bino
Vortex Razor 8X42 bino

Have many other optics I love, but I would never consider parting with those under any circumstances.

Edited by RifleDude - February/06/2010 at 09:05
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2010 at 09:17
I really can't say that I have any scopes that I couldn't live with out.  Some I like better than others, but none that aren't subject to replacement.  I think this is a reflection of how many very good options we have and the many new and improved scopes that we see each year.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2010 at 09:19
i dont have any high dollar scopes like most of the ones mentioned above, my bushnell 4200 elite 3x9 will stay with me forever. anything ive put that scope on so far it has handled. i suspect that the 2x7 vortex viper i just got a while back will be in that league as well.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2010 at 13:31
I have a late seventies-early eighties Weaver K4-1 Micro Trac that I will never get rid of.  A terrific 4X scope that works and is bright until half hour past sunset....

I got it off a used gun I bought years ago.  I sold the rifle years ago....but I have always kept that scope!!!!     Wink

Big Grin
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2010 at 14:57

"Keepers"

Zeiss Conquest 3.5x10x44 Rapid Z 600
AV Swaro 3x10x42 4A Reticle
Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14x44 Rapid Z 800
Kahles American 3x9x42 Ballistic Reticle
Super Sniper 3x9x42 Mildot
Leica 1200 Range Finder
I just traded off a new Leupold VX-3 for the SS. I did not like the FOV on the Leo. Ive never owned a Mildot before and would probably not have kept it either but for the Mildot Master which simplifies the system tremendously.  I really like the stoutness and Quality/Clarity of the SS scope.

Edited by JF4545 - February/06/2010 at 16:16
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2010 at 18:32
Trijicon, Zeiss, Elite 4200 & 3200, Leupold's VX-II. A pair Zen-ray, Leupold Green ring Cascades & Olympus Magellan EXWP Binos so far...
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2010 at 19:17
Originally posted by 308WIN 308WIN wrote:

I am having to decide between my Zeiss Diavari 2.5-10x42 or the Schmidt & Bender 3-12x42.
I think I prefer the extra 2x on the top end vs the extra .5 power on the bottom.

At this point, I think i am keeping the S&B as my "keeper"

Differences:

S&B is bigger, heavier, "feels" and looks better built...No plastic, just exudea quality workmanship.

The zeiss optics are great but i think the S&B is tied with it. the Zeiss is nice and compact, lighter.

The turret construction goes to S&B, the clicks are all identical and the tactile feedback is consistent. Plus I like the indicator that tells you where you are in the adjustment range.

The S&B has noticeably more eye relief.

Specifications
Weight (oz): 20

Length (in): 13.5
Eye Relief (in): 3.7
Field of View @ 100 yards (ft): 31.5 - 11.4
Exit Pupil (mm): 14 - 3.5

Specifications
Weight (oz): 15.5

Length (in): 12.3
Eye Relief (in): 3.5
Field of View @ 100yds (ft): 43.5 - 12