OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

4-16 or 6-24 scope?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4-16 or 6-24 scope?
    Posted: February/05/2010 at 08:14
Looking at getting either the new Viper PST FFP 4-16x50 or the 6-24x50.  This will more than likely end up on my 6.5 Grendel 20", or my LaRue OBR rifle (18")

Would like something that is good for everything from 100 yards to 600 yards (maybe even a little further) on man-sized targets.  I'm not popping praerie dogs here or shooting golf balls. 

Would the 4-16 do the job for what I'm looking at?  I'm starting to wonder why I kept getting the higher magnification scopes in the past as it seems like most of the time that's not really what is needed, especially when you factor in FOV, a higher low-mag (6x vs. 4x being the minimum, which hurts you at close range for fast target acquisition), etc.  When I was hunting in Namibia in 2008 my 3-9 Conquest was on 4x for 90% of my shots.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 09:24
4-16 is more than sufficient for your stated requirements.  Actually, the 3-9 Super Sniper should be a consideration.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 09:33
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

4-16 is more than sufficient for your stated requirements.  Actually, the 3-9 Super Sniper should be a consideration.  

Concur. 
I think that power range is ideal, probably more than you need.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
greywolf View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 09:35

Thanks - once I sell my Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 scope I'll put myself on the waiting list for the 4-16 PST mil/mil FFP scope, or maybe even the 2.5-10x

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 10:33
2.5-10X is plenty, 3-9X is good too, 4-14X is more than enough
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
greywolf View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 10:42
Only issue I have with going 2.5-10 is what Ilya said about that particular model in the Vortex PST line.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 11:00
Trijicon makes a great 2.5-10.

There are others.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 15:51
Originally posted by greywolf greywolf wrote:

Only issue I have with going 2.5-10 is what Ilya said about that particular model in the Vortex PST line.

Vortex guys noted that statement as well and they think I may have been too hasty with that conclusion.  Everyone makes mistakes occasionally, so I am trying to get my hands on that model to verify whether my impressions at SHOT were accurate or not.

As soon as I manage to give it another look, I will post my impressions.  If a retraction is warrantied, I will issue one. 

ILya
greywolf View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 16:09
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Vortex guys noted that statement as well and they think I may have been too hasty with that conclusion.  Everyone makes mistakes occasionally, so I am trying to get my hands on that model to verify whether my impressions at SHOT were accurate or not.

As soon as I manage to give it another look, I will post my impressions.  If a retraction is warrantied, I will issue one. 

ILya
Excellent - I think I'd like a 2.5-10x in this line vs. the 4-16x - it will more than likely rest either on my .308 OBR or my .308 Kel Tec and I just don't think I need more than 10x for my intended use.  I'm trying to get to where all my scopes are mil/mil with FFP reticles

Which begs the question of why I keep holding on to my Conquest 4.5-14 with Z800 reticle - LOL.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 16:16

ILya
Excellent - I think I'd like a 2.5-10x in this line vs. the 4-16x - it will more than likely rest either on my .308 OBR or my .308 Kel Tec and I just don't think I need more than 10x for my intended use.  I'm trying to get to where all my scopes are mil/mil with FFP reticles

Which begs the question of why I keep holding on to my Conquest 4.5-14 with Z800 reticle - LOL.

The 2.5-10x44 Viper PST is not available in FFP configuration.  If you must have FFP, you have to step up to 4-16x50.

ILya
greywolf View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 17:50

ILya

The 2.5-10x44 Viper PST is not available in FFP configuration.  If you must have FFP, you have to step up to 4-16x50.

ILya
Crap - well, I guess that answers that question - back to the 4-16 then I guess. 
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2010 at 17:09
This is an easy one.  Do what I did--order one of each!  

No, for your situation I'd go with the 4-16.  There is a lot of overlap though as either of the two or the 2.5-10 would all work, it's mainly a matter of preference.  Feature-wise there isn't much difference except the 2.5-10 isn't available in FFP and has no parallax adjustment, but of course both of those are less of an issue on a 10X scope than it is on the others. The 2.5-10 is significantly smaller and lighter if that matters; the other two are close to the same weight but the 6-24 is quite a bit longer.

I like high power so my 6.5 Grendel is getting the 6-24 but it's more of a range toy/varmint blaster/long range practice rig.  Since I don't plan to hunt in the woods with it or try and stick it into a saddle scabbard I see no downside to the extra power.  It's low end is really pretty good for a higher power scope--its FOV on 6X is listed as basically the same size as a Leupold 4.5-14 has on 4.5X so it is pretty versatile.  Not ideal for woods hunting or close up fast action shooting but it'd be more usable in those situations than many other high power scopes.  Of course you didn't say you'd be doing any of that.

I see the 4-16 as the most versitile, "do everything scope."  On the low end the FOV is about the same as the Leupold 3.5-10 on 3.5X and 16X on the top end is plenty for extended ranges, especially on man-sized targets you mention.  With all the important features, if the scope is put together well as I expect it to be, it's really hard to think of anything this scope can't do well, besides perhaps really close range fast action 3-Gun type stuff. 

If you hadn't mentioned doing so much at long range I'd agree with the others that the 2.5-10 is a great all around choice for most uses.  Smaller, lighter, no parallax knob sticking out, it's obviously a great choice for general use.  Of course if you want FFP, the SS and IOR would be your choices in lieu of the PST.  But since you did mention doing a lot at 600+ yds, I feel the 4-16 is a better fit.  Don't get me wrong, any of these 2.5-10 PST, IOR, or 3-9 SS are very capable at extended ranges, especially on man sized targets.  But for doing a lot of this, I greatly prefer more magnification and parallax adjustment.
greywolf View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2010 at 19:03
Thanks, Jon - very adroit and intelligent assessment.  Gonna go with the 4-16 then.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic