OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Winchester Brass

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winchester Brass
    Posted: February/05/2010 at 07:58
  I've been using Win brass for a long time, but the last couple bags haven't been to swell. see'n alot more dented shoulders & split necks, even some cases of inconsistent uniformity.  I've been hearing the same thing from friends & other forums as well. I think maybe their QC has slipped trying to keep up with the higher demands. Many guys are going back to the Rem brass as it is still as good as it was. Harder, but free of much of the defects that seem to be troubling Win. Has anybody else experienced the problems that I've had?
If you don't want to stand behind our troops, then we will gladly have you stand in front of them.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 08:57
i have seen that with rem brass but not with win brass.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 10:53
2 years ago had some problems.  Had roughly 150 pieces out of 2k that had deformed necks, shoulders pushed back, manufacturing flaws etc.  Contacted Win, they sent a mailing label and replaced.  Have about 6k pieces of .22-250 all win and that is the only problem I've had.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 10:54
All my win brass I use only for my sons model 10 savage in .308. I don't load them very hot, I'm on the 9th reloading without any issues.
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 16:02
Quality of brass depends to a large extent on the age and condition of the manufacturing dies, along with how much workers pay attention. Most companies periodically replace the forming dies for brass, especially in more popular chamberings such as .30-06, .270, .243, etc. where they know there's a consistent market.

But for cartridges that aren't so popular, they may use the forming dies for a while longer, since they don't make their money back as quickly on those. I have a custom riflemaker friend who has made a bunch of .284 Winchesters. When he first started in the business, around 25 years ago, Winchester .284 brass was pretty good, but eventually went downhill enough that he quit recommeding the cartridge to customers. Then Winchester replaced a bunch of case-forming dies at their factory, and .284 brass was really good for a while, and he built a bunch of rifles. But a couple of years ago he reported that it was starting to head downhill again, and either recommended that his .284 customers neck up 6.5-284 brass from Norma, or get their rifles chambered to something with more brands of brass available, such as the 7mm-08.

Most companies try to get as much use out of their machinery as possible during economic hard times, and no doubt that's a factor in brass, but it won't necessarily affect every kind of brass in a certain manufacturer's line-up.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 16:19
One Word..............   LAPUA
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 18:27
That's a pretty good word, if Lapua makes brass in the chambering you want. (and if they don't, maybe you don't need a rifle in that chambering!).
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 18:33
norma makes nice brass as well, i just bought some for my .300wby they seem very nice
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 19:54
Norma is usually very good, and I have had excellent luck with a little sorting of Winchester, Remington and Federal. As noted in my earlier post, much depends on the specific lot of brass.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2010 at 08:27
Originally posted by John Barsness John Barsness wrote:

That's a pretty good word, if Lapua makes brass in the chambering you want. (and if they don't, maybe you don't need a rifle in that chambering!).

Excellent  The only centerfire rifles I have in the house are .308s.  Other than Dan's tree killer Lott and maybe a Browning M-2.  Do you really need anything more?   Roll on Floor Laughing
yellowdog View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2010 at 09:57
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

One word.........Expensive
If you don't want to stand behind our troops, then we will gladly have you stand in front of them.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2010 at 10:07
if you dont want the headaches you are talking about you gotta change something.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
yellowdog View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2010 at 00:30
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

if you dont want the headaches you are talking about you gotta change something.

Yeah if I'm in a pinch, but I would rather try to contact Winchester on the issue at hand(which I will do) and have it corrected seeing how that most of us in the shooting community use their brass when we buy in high quanity. I personally go through 1000's of rounds a year as I'm sure many of us do here. I personally could not afford to spend twice as much to replace Win or Rem brass.

Edited by yellowdog - February/07/2010 at 00:31
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2010 at 11:01
what caliber in specific is the issue? this is what im interested to hear. i hear you about the money thing. i just bought 50 pieces of norma brass for my .300wby @ $1 per case.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2010 at 12:43

I haven't bought new Norma brass since the late '70s. At the time, a friend and I were both experiencing Norma brass incipient failures after 2-3 loadings. It didn't seem to matter neck or full- length resize, hot loads or not. I'm sure Norma brass is much better now, or no one would load it.

I have plenty of fun with my Winchester brass and see no need to change. Case lips are sometimes bent a little. Better packaging might help.

"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
yellowdog View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2010 at 13:25
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

what caliber in specific is the issue? this is what im interested to hear. i hear you about the money thing. i just bought 50 pieces of norma brass for my .300wby @ $1 per case.

Mostly 22-250, & .204.
yellowdog View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2010 at 13:30
Originally posted by Alan Robertson Alan Robertson wrote:

I have plenty of fun with my Winchester brass and see no need to change. Case lips are sometimes bent a little. Better packaging might help.

Yeah you always have a few case mouth dents, thats no big issue really. Probably always gona have that when pakaged in bags.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2010 at 14:38
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

WORD!!  Thunbs Up
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2010 at 17:26
22-250 really, thats interesting.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2010 at 21:35
I wish I could find some more new Lapua 300 WinMag brass. I only have 100, man I should have bought more when I had the chance!
"There are some things which cannot be learned quickly and time, which is all we have, must be paid heavily for their acquiring. They are the very simplest things..." Ernest Hemingway
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic