OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Looking for a new scope.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eyeCyou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for a new scope.
    Posted: February/04/2010 at 18:30
I want to buy a new scope for less than $1000 to put on my Howa/Axiom rifle. I will have potential to shoot out to 400 yards. Just wanted to get some input on a good scope for that purpose.
      By the way I have a Leupold VX-L 3.5x10 currently on that rifle. I want something w/ a higher magnification and I don't care about looks or brand.

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 18:32
What do you care about?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
eyeCyou View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eyeCyou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 18:44
Being able to see in low light. Something in the 18 - 20x range. Sorry, Should have been more specific.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 18:45
a lot of power in low light sounds like your going to spend a lot of money to me
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
eyeCyou View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eyeCyou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 18:49
Well what do yall recommend over all.  I am no expert but I am learning. 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 18:53
are you using it for deer or what?
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 19:00
I really like Zeiss conquest scopes, they're pretty good for the money. 

eyeCyou View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eyeCyou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 20:10
Do you work for Zeiss? Just kidding. Thanks. I have heard a lot about Zeiss. Somebody recommended Trijicon but the lighted post seemed like it would over power the target @ low light. I don't necessarily have to see 400 yrds in really low light but I just wanted to know which scopes out there could squeeze the most out of low light hunting situations
eyeCyou View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eyeCyou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 20:24
Yes. Deer.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 21:15
zeiss or trjicon would be good choices though, i think you can turn the brightness of the trijicon down  too.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
2 Samuel 22 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2 Samuel 22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 22:55
+1 for the Conquest 3-12x56.  Just keep in mind however that it has a limited amount of elevation adjustment for a 30mm tube.
Semper Paratus - Semper Fidelis - Semper Vigilans
eyeCyou View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eyeCyou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2010 at 17:44
Thanx , The guy @ the gun shop didn't tell me that. I didn't either though.
eyeCyou View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eyeCyou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2010 at 17:46
I meant "I didn't ask either though"
lonewolf603 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lonewolf603 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2010 at 11:55
Couldn't tell from your initial message if your old scope was for sale.  If it is I may be interested.
eyeCyou View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eyeCyou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2010 at 21:05
Oh no. Old scope is not for sale. Old as in 1.5 yrs old. I am putting it on my Rem model 700 .243.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2010 at 02:53
If you want to see better in low light, you do not necessarily need more magnification.  You need better glass and larger objective lens.  If anything, going to 18x magnification is going to have a detrimental effect on low light performance.

3-12x56 Zeiss Conquest is a very good choice.

Here are some other good choices in the sub-$1000 range:

With the spring loaded Axiom stock, I would probably stick with the scopes that have eye relief on the long side.  Out of these scopes, Conquest and Sightron have the longest eye relief.

ILya
eyeCyou View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eyeCyou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2010 at 17:41
Thanx ...and may the force be with you.
Brainz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2010 at 19:33
eyeCyou,

I have to go with Koshkin.  You need good glass not real high powers.  In your price range you have a lot to work with really.  The new Vortex Vipers, IOR Valdada, Nikon Monarch X, Sightron III's,  Millett LRS-1, and a couple different Bushnell's would do you right.  Find a scope with a 30mm main tube and a 50mm obj. or more.  Shooting out to 400yds you won't need a lot of elevation travel but its nice to have.  All scopes listed above have at least 60moa of elevation adjustment.  All can be found in the 5-25x's variables, and some you can get with illumination if that's something you'd like for low light.  Take a look at some of those and see what you fancy.  Hope this helps you out.

B
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic