OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bino ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brav302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bino ?
    Posted: February/04/2010 at 17:47

How would the Meopta Meostar compare to the Zen Ray ED?  I'm wanting to break down and get a good pair of binos.  Looking for something in 8x.

spf2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spf2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 18:05
haven't tried meostar and heard some good things about them. The ZEN ED is very good, actually amazing, for its price. Both are high quality glasses, you will be happy with either one.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 20:49
Hmm....  Use the search Bitterroot Bulls has posted a direct comparison and review here.  A little work on the search tab should pull it up

Personally I give the image edge to the ZEN ED 2 and likely the durability to The Meopta.  Both are good and you would likely not be diasspointed with either.2
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Xlr8n View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xlr8n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 10:51
fwiw- If you decide to go with the Meoptas (which are a U.S. owned, Czech manufactured product compared to the Chinese Zen's, if that us a factor) and would consider a 10x, keep in mind Cabela's Euro binocs are re-badged Meostars and list for 100 dollars cheaper (plus the Cabelas version doesn't have the unsightly grippy bumpy surface) however they are only available in 10x and 12x versions.
spf2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spf2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 11:01

fwiw, zen-ray is a U.S. owned company.  Getting their products manufactured in Czech vs China.  I don't see any practical difference to us.  SWFA has both lines in their stock, you should call them to get some objective recommendation.
brav302 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brav302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 11:14
I didn't relize Meopta was a US owned company.  I think I'm going to be the the Czech republic area and was hoping to save a few bucs if I bought them local, but I bet thats not the case if the company is US. 
Xlr8n View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xlr8n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 12:26
Originally posted by spf2 spf2 wrote:

fwiw, zen-ray is a U.S. owned company.  Getting their products manufactured in Czech vs China.  I don't see any practical difference to us.  SWFA has both lines in their stock, you should call them to get some objective recommendation.

An American company owns Meopta. Meaning they actually own both the factory and R&D facilites located in the Czech Republic.
Zen Ray is simply one or a handful of American businessmen that are picking available binocular specs from a Chinese owned production factory and then importing the product to sell here at a markup with all of the rest of the proceeds benefiting the Chinese factory and government. Eagle optics and others do the same thing and offer nearly the exact same product made by the same Chinese factory
From a business/marketing stance, that is a significant practical difference.
spf2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spf2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 13:00
Originally posted by Xlr8n Xlr8n wrote:

An American company owns Meopta. Meaning they actually own both the factory and R&D facilites located in the Czech Republic.

Maybe a quick visit of their website will help a little bit. 

Meopta Prerov traces its origins back to the year 1933 when the company Optikotechna was established in Prerov, Czech Republic. Initially, Optikotechna produced lenses and condensers but quickly expanded its product line to include enlargers, composite lenses, single optics, binoculars, riflescopes, slide projectors and of course the well known Flexaret range of cameras...........

Xlr8n View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xlr8n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 15:18
Originally posted by spf2 spf2 wrote:

Originally posted by Xlr8n Xlr8n wrote:

Maybe a quick visit of their website will help a little bit. 

Meopta Prerov traces its origins back to the year 1933 when the company Optikotechna was established in Prerov, Czech Republic. Initially, Optikotechna produced lenses and condensers but quickly expanded its product line to include enlargers, composite lenses, single optics, binoculars, riflescopes, slide projectors and of course the well known Flexaret range of cameras...........

Maybe you should read further into your link. Wink

try the first sentence.Cool 

Then read further down the page you and you'll see where they started offering stock in the company in the early 90's. Then see where a coupl years back they became a single entity. Guess who owned the majority share of stocks. A U.S. investment firm perhaps?
Xlr8n View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xlr8n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 15:30
As a side thought, I wonder if the company and owners really haven't been gung-ho on advertising as an American company as it may diminish the upscale image of being a European optic?
If anything, having their newest model released this year advertised as being manufactured in the U.S. is a definate indication of Meaopta's American ownership.
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2010 at 12:04
I used the Meopta 8x42 side by side with a Leica Trinovid 8x42 two years ago (for a few days) and found the Meopta brighter and just as pleasing to use and look through. I also looked through the Meopta 7x42, and found it excellent, but the Zeiss 7x42 was nicer, so i ended up with the Zeiss

I know from reliable sources that the Zen Ray are extremely good optically, and that they have a slow and stiff focuser. This appears in many comments on the web. They are a fantastic value at their low price. However, the poor focuser is a deal braker for me, no matter how good the optics.

If i were buying without trying, i would buy the Meopta, most likely the 8x32, which is the best and most versatile in their line-up. I am more and more reluctant to send money to China. Their optics industry is the equal of any, their quality control can be just as good as that of any other, and i am extremely happy with my Nikon 50ED scope made in China or several other optics. My reluctance is based on political considerations. 
Xlr8n View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xlr8n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2010 at 13:58
I'm not familiar with the Zen's and maybe Steve can verify, but from what I've read I thought the newer ED2's have remedied part of that issue with a quicker focus ratio?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic