OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best Budget Bino

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Budget Bino
    Posted: February/04/2010 at 13:28
Hello, I'm new here as well as new to the "modern" binocular industry. I own several vintage binoculars, many from thrift stores. They are old such as WWII type 10x50. I have and old Carl Zeiss 8x30, some assorted brands of 7x25, an M3 6x30, an old Pentax 7x50 7.1, and recently bought a pair of Nikon Action 8x40 8.2 for $12.00.

I had the chance and bought a pair of Vixen 14598 Atrek 8x42 DCF Binoculars at Amazon for $97.95. I took a chance buying them with absolutely no reviews I can find anywhere. My first modern pair of binoculars. I like how the diopter adjustment clicks like a fine tooth ratchet. I don't know much about binoculars except what I have been reading recently. I do find that the Nikon Actions seem to be slightly brighter than the Vixen though the Vixen's have better edge sharpness but less field of view.

Since i've been reading posts here and elsewhere, my ocular addiction seems to be growing, much like my LED flashlight addiction.  I'm not a wealthy person so I must stay within the budget range.

My inquiry is into the new  Zen-Ray 10VISTA 8x42 which are available for $130. Are they a big improvement over the Vixen Atrek binoculars?

Vi

lynchknot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 14:45
About the Vixen 14598 Atrek 8x42 DCF: I think Amazon may have made a mistake selling them to me at $97.95 because the next day they were $199 and I have not seen them anywhere for less.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 15:16
It may not be real easy to find anybody who has seen one of the Vixen's like yours.  Probably not many new Vistas out yet either.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Kavall View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kavall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 23:54
I have zero experience with the Vixens and little experience with binoculars. However I did, just receive, tonight, a set of the Zen Ray Vistas 8x42. The new and improved ones with better coatings. So far, I've played around with them in the car at night looking at lit up stores while my wife drove and was pretty impressed. Tomorrow I will actually get a chance to play with them outside. I'm hoping to glass some of the Colorado countryside. 
lynchknot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2010 at 03:18
I was looking at stars tonight, with the Vixen, and it appears the right field distorts the star earlier than the left field.

At my price range I guess I will have to accept the limitations.

Unfortunately, reading the forums and other literature made me aware of the faults and they have become glaring. Now I want the ZR ED2 but it's way out of my reach.  
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2010 at 11:37
Originally posted by lynchknot lynchknot wrote:

I was looking at stars tonight, with the Vixen, and it appears the right field distorts the star earlier than the left field. 

Can you correct this by adjusting the right diopter settings?
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2010 at 12:17
Originally posted by Bird Watcher Bird Watcher wrote:

That was my thought too.  Always seems a tad arrogant to ask "are you sure you have them set up and focused properly?"  But I guess I just did anyway Smile.   But that could be a defect too.  One more common out of the box malfunctions I have seen is a diopter that does not adjust properly, or one that will not stay put once adjusted.  If you can adjust the focus problem out, then find the problem back again the next time you use it, it just about has to go back, it won't get better with time.

If you are interested in the Zen Ray stuff, take a look at the ZRS.  These have HD eyepieces and are designed with a somewhat flatter than normal field.  The new ones, which are six weeks at least away will feature dielectric prism coatings.  Those are a very good buy for less than $200.

Edited by Klamath - February/06/2010 at 12:25
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

lynchknot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 02:41

Of course but then if I bring the star back to center it will be distorted.
lynchknot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 02:45
since I don't have a way to edit.......

What I mean is that I would focus on a star then move the binocular to left then right to see if the star stayed in focus throughout the field. The star becomes distorted much earlier in the right of field.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 10:29

What I mean is that I would focus on a star then move the binocular to left then right to see if the star stayed in focus throughout the field. The star becomes distorted much earlier in the right of field.

That is what I thought you meant.  It could mean a bad barrel, a bad diopter in that barrel, or still a diopter focus problem.  If you are sure (if not just ask) about your diopter adjustment, then service or replacement is a likely avenue.  A view like that will eventually give you eye strain and headaches.

Edited by Klamath - February/08/2010 at 10:33
Steve

lynchknot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2010 at 21:57
Another question Big Smile:

Should the image through the bin be brighter than the naked eye? The Vixen is darker and the Nikon is about same (as naked eye) or slightly brighter.
lynchknot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2010 at 22:02
I was also wondering why the old Zen-Ray VISTA 10x42 is more expensive than the new model.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2010 at 10:18
I imagine it is because it is a different binocular with improved manufacturing techniques and maybe even from a different factory. The old Vista design has been left behind in the name of progress.

Edited by Klamath - February/18/2010 at 10:19
Steve

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2010 at 14:42

Once you are logged in you should have no problem editing your comments.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2010 at 14:47

Once you are logged in you should have no problem editing your comments.
Have to have a certain number of post before you can.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2010 at 14:51

It could mean a bad barrel

[/QUOTE]
Yes, it sounds as if the quality of both barrels are not equal, optically.
You can return it, and exchange it for another.

Edited by Bird Watcher - February/18/2010 at 14:54
lynchknot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2010 at 21:13
A guy naned EdZ described, what appears to me, the same issue with Zen Ray ED2 Here: http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3266224/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

Does anyone know anything about these cheap ED glass bins? http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Optic-Birding-Binocular-Degree/dp/B002YGPRYC/ref=acc_glance_p_ai_BST_t_4
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic