OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

300 Whisper is here

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2010 at 12:33
as far as the bolt noise goes, both are just as noisy, your just choosing when to make the manual bolt noise., also you loose the advantage of a NFA weapons application. Most of the vents in ar with reduced powder make more a ffttttt noise. all yu need to go fireball is a tapered expanding ball in the full length die., and will avoid the cutting down process. which powder are you using?
Ranb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2010 at 16:09

Back in 1999 I was on the phone ordering a contender barrel from SSK in 300 whisper.  I was going to get a blue pistol barrel, but was talked into a 16" carbine barrel in stainless.  I asked about AR-15 uppers and they said they had one all ready to go.  I decided to buy it.  Had I thought about it more, I would have asked them to chop it down to 16" instead of the 18" that they sold to me.  But both barrels shoot well.  The AR is much more bulky than the contender, but works well with the silencer.  It also has a gas port I can adjust for supersonic, subsonic or off.  Shutting it off makes the sierra 240 hpbt go a bit faster.  I also have to load differently for the AR and the contender to stay at 1050 fps.

I make the brass from once fired LC 223 remington.  It is much cheaper than using 221 fireball and I think the neck is more uniform when sizing down instead of up.  It also fits the chamber better.  I make the brass by putting a dozen pieces of 223 into a wood clamp then cut them off at the neck with a band saw.  They then get sized in the 300 whisper sizer then trimmer with an RCBS 3-way trimmer.  I saw a video of a guy using a Dillan press and auto trimmer to make a properly sized and trimmed piece of 300 whisper every two seconds.  Very nice. 

Some people claim that the SSK chambers are too tight for brass formed from 223, but it is not true in my barrels.  In fact the brass I got from SSK back in 1999 was formed from LC 223.

The silencer is made from aluminum tubing and bar stock with a stainless blast baffle.   It extends six inches over the barrel and seven inches past the muzzle.  Using it wet makes it less noisy, but gunks it up a lot.  I also use cast 225 grain bullets from an Australian CBE mold as I am too cheap to run the expensive jacketed stuff through it all the time.

Ranb

Ranb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2010 at 17:00
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

as far as the bolt noise goes, both are just as noisy, your just choosing when to make the manual bolt noise., also you loose the advantage of a NFA weapons application. Most of the vents in ar with reduced powder make more a ffttttt noise.

My AR-15 action is much louder than a bolt action.  While I can cycle a bolt nearly silently, there is no such thing as a silent bolt carrier getting slammed around by a buffer spring and thousands of pounds of gas pressure.  My AR-15 bolt noise is loud enough to make my suppressed 223 AR-15 sound louder than my suppressed 308 from the shooter's position.

Even with only grains of H110, there is still lots of action noise on that AR-15.

Ranb
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2010 at 19:21
mines not-- actually comparing apples and oranges here, your t/c is probably quieter than both-- check into buffered systems, also the time frame your cycling the bolt is not the same as the ar. hot rod it and I'll bet its pretty close.

Edited by Dale Clifford - February/07/2010 at 19:36
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 08:39
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

as far as the bolt noise goes, both are just as noisy, your just choosing when to make the manual bolt noise., also you loose the advantage of a NFA weapons application. Most of the vents in ar with reduced powder make more a ffttttt noise. all yu need to go fireball is a tapered expanding ball in the full length die., and will avoid the cutting down process. which powder are you using?

The AR bolt movement and lock-up is louder than a bolt gun, or that has been my experience.  Gingerly chambering rounds in an AR (without the help of the forward assist) usually doesn't work great.  ON a bolt gun, I can do it very quietly.

My first loads were with 8.5 and 8.6 grains of AA#9 (it's what was in stock.)  I now have lil gun and I hear it is a much better powder for my intended purpose.

I'll post more shortly, should be loading up some rounds tomorrow, will try super- as well as sub-sonic.  I'm interested now in knowing if this thing can throw a 168-gr at supersonic speeds and be useful as a deer rifle.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 11:01
RC YOUR BOX IS FULL MAN OH MAN ARE YOU EVER POPULAR
No one
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 11:02
its full of hate mail Bucky

Edited by pyro6999 - February/08/2010 at 11:02
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 15:26
338, the box is cleared, fire away.

I now have something of a real-world dilemma: what optic?

As you can imagine, a 240-grain round going 1000FPS falls from the sky. Fast.  Going from a 100 yard zero to a 200 yard shot is about 7 mils, if JBM is correct.  Ideally, I have something with a large, single-turn turret, or I need something like M3 turrets, 1/2 or 1 MOA per clicl.

As I will be shooting supersonic and subsonic rounds, something with multiple zero indicators would be nice (but not necessary.)

Illumination too would be nice, since it will be used in low light.

FFP would be good if the reticle is to be used for bullet drop.  If bullet drop will be clicked in to the turret, neither FFP nor reticle is that important.

More magnification will help put the round exactly where I need it, but I need low-end mag too, for close-up shots.

Not sure which direction to take for the eventual scope.

For now, it wears a 10X HD which is great for load development, but will be limiting when the rifle actually goes into the field.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 15:31
i thought you got that swaro for it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 15:49
Not yet, it is an option, trying to decide if it is the best option.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 16:16

what about the new Bushnell 4200 thats coming out?  FFP, ill reticle. good magnification range too. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 16:34
Right now, there are many possibilities.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2010 at 11:40
Any updates you can share on the whisper RC?  Any hog kills with it?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2010 at 12:54
No hog hunts yet, but I have one on 20Mar if not the weekend before.

The rig now wears a new 2.5-10 IOR FFP, which i like but have yet to shoot.  I'll be out of town for a few days and will be going to the range when I get back.

More will follow.
barrabruce View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barrabruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 06:53
Interseted in your scope choice /veiws on this.

cowski View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 08:35
hey rc what is the law in your state on night hunting.in alabama the ranger told me no centerfire rifles no can, no night vision. i think i can kill a coyote at night only with a 22 or if its eating a cow with a centerfire rifle. just curious
never corner something meaner than you are jbc
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 14:56
I'm not RC, but I live in TX, same as he.  In Texas, we can hunt at night with any legal means, any weapon, with night vision, cans (as long as you have the NFA Class III permit), spotlights, etc. as long as you are hunting animals considered a "non game" or "exotic" in the regs.  This includes predators, feral hogs, and non-native animals.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barrabruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2010 at 10:02
It takes less powder to build up the same pressure with a heavier slug than a lighter one. = velocity

I hope you are lubing your projectiles.

A jacketed stuck in the tube will really wreck your day.

Jacket condom bullets will be about 150 fps slower than cast projectiles.

You are wrong about the barrell lenght.

With a real fast burning powder the projectile will be slowing down by the time it exists the barrell. hence gas pressure will be dropping. Think .22lr

I belive working down is the go... not up in velocity. Looking for big spreads in pressures..velocity means you are getting to low in the powder charge and uneven ignition.
Time then to use dracon or change to something else.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2010 at 16:28
Rancid, got an update on how it performs on piggies yet?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barrabruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2010 at 05:24
Bump
Did you get any Rancid ??
Posted somewhere else???

Get Your Popcorn Ready
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic