OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

300 Whisper is here

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 11:44
RC, do you know the benefits of the whisper vs say a 308 subsonic?  I wonder if this is something I should look at if I want to hunt using the suppressor, currently I have a good load for the 308 shooting subsonic and very accurate but i dont' know its effect at distances.  I would feel comfortable at 1-200yds for game with it, maybe.  Thanks for any info
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 12:00
I've heard stories of subsonic .308 projectiles spinning off the the jacket in the bore - separation of jacket from core.  If you put another round down the bore with the jacket from a previous round still there, it gets ugly. Fast.

The twist rate of a 300 Whisper is faster than a traditional .308, and the barrel is shorter.

If you have a subsonic working in your .308, don't worry about a 300 Whisper.  My good .308s are very, very accurate and I do NOT wish to mess with load development of a subsonic and risk damaging what I have now.

The Whisper will be for range fun and hog hunting.  It will be loaded with various 220 to 250-grain projectiles.

I considered .308 subsonics, but, again, messing with near-perfection usually doesn't help.

Suppressed supersonic 308 is fun too, but I wanted a dedicated short-range subsonic 30-cal.  Pigs don't scatter if one just falls dead in the woods (so long as it just drops, no kicking or squealing), so taking more than one under a feeder is much easier with a quiet rig than with a full report setup.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 12:36
RC wouldn't a solid help with the sub's spinning off the jacket? might be intersting to try to see if they would be accurate.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 12:56
Barnes has .200 gr TSX.   RC this would be a killer setup for hogs by a feeder.  Pun intended.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 12:57
Yea, that solves the problem (and that has been noted on many subsonic forums) but again, I do not wish to put too much "new stuff" through a .308 that shoots 3 inch groups at 600 yards (when I do my part.)

I have a new project gun and can monkey with it without the possibility of screwing up my go-to 308.

But for you 308 owners who have a can and don't want to buy a Whisper, play with it and tell me what you think,

338 has sent me a few PMs with recipes, I appreciate that, but the Whsiper gets that job now, I care too much about not dorking my 308.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 13:01
cool, I have a .308 I want to supress and shoot subs from but time has not allowed me to do so. maybe in a few months i can. I have been building my wifeand,son (11) 10/22's each and my 3 yr old a charger 22 to play with. So MY projects got put on the back burner. plus the tons of stuff at the gun shop dosn't help ether and its hard to work on other people stuff when mine look sad over in the corner.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 13:01

What can do you have for the whisper?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 13:50
YHM 7.62 Phantom, thread-on.

Quiet!

No wiggle (as is not the case with many QD mounts.)
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 14:18
nice I am looking foward to your review on this setup, it has stuck my interest very much. 
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 14:38
we are going to have to swap load data I have developed 6 different loads for the sub range 200-250 and have 850-1040fps with great results...All very stable with only maybe 15-20fps differing in range say 850-870 and then 1020-1040... Very consistent perfect grouping 1:7 16.25"
No one

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 14:43
What this rifle really needs, long-term, is a Swaro AV 6-18 with DTS reticle!
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 14:57
lol seems like there was one for sale on here
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2010 at 14:51
well...I might happen to agree...
No one

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2010 at 15:06
I'd call this review "Most fun you can have with clothes on!"

I had the Whisper on the range today.

I had 20 rounds and used them to simultaneously break in the bore, sight in, zero, and do some low-level load testing.

I had 10 rounds each of 2 loads, one that "should be" about 950 FPS, and one that "should be" about 1050FPS.

Here is the day's target.

And for all you Haters that think I had stray rounds and only gave part of the target to hide something...

I hate putting up the whole target because I hate this range, idiot RSOs and too many shooters feel the need to inform me "Silencers are illegal!"

So, round one, at 6:30, low - almost off paper.  That was a bore site at 100 yards with the target centered in the bore (no optical or mechanical assistance.)  This round (220-gr Sierra Match King at about 1000FPS) drops. Allot.

Next rounds were the 1050FPS and they all ran at the upper edge end of the bull's eye, wind was gusting up to 20MPH and varied from 1/2 to full-value.  This bullet gets pulled off easily by a little wind, but every FPS helps.

Last 10 rounds were the 950 load and they were a little lower on paper (as you can clearly see) and threw 3 out of the bull and left.

One called flier, the lower, left-most round; all others felt like good pulls.

To say this rifle is quiet does a disservice to quiet things.  I heard the firing pin strike the primer and the round hit paper and little else, it was definitely quieter than a Daisy Red Rider BB gun.

I had one round go supersonic, it was "very loud" by comparison. 

This might be my new deer rifle (shooting supersonics) and is definitely going to be with me on hog hunts.)

The rifle handles great (with a 16-inch barrel, it is easy to point and shoot) the stock is pure garbage, when the McMillan gets here, it'll be for sale if anyone wants it, and the thing has no appreciable recoil.

Today was the first time I've ever been able to shoot and watch the hole appear on paper - muzzle didn't rise, I kept the crosshairs on target through "recoil" and follow-through.

I'm curious to know, those of you shooting subsonic .308s with a can, if yours is similar?

I am posting in the optics section on the SS 10X HD vs. the Hensoldt.  For here, I'll say the 10X HD is great for the money, without question, but isn't best suited for this gun - as one might guess.
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2010 at 15:13
I thought this was going to be an AR platform.  What brand rifle?

Edited by SD Dog - February/06/2010 at 15:14
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2010 at 16:01
It is a Rem 700 SPS (I think) with trued bolt face, lapped lugs, and a Douglas match barrel installed.  Trigger feels like it breaks about 4-5, it needs to be lighter and the groups would shrink some.

I considered an AR upper but decided to start with a bolt gun.  AR's are louder and I want as quiet as possible.

It is balls-out fun to shoot.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2010 at 16:44
Originally posted by SD Dog SD Dog wrote:

I thought this was going to be an AR platform.  What brand rifle?

i too was totally expecting an ar but i guess it makes sense what he says about the noise.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2010 at 09:28
Looks like it has potential, Jeff!  Be sure to keep us posted as she evolves.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2010 at 09:40
kind of curious why you don't use 221 fireball brass. nice to have a rife that gets to a downloaded 44 mag load, with a higher bc for down range use, but curious why you didn't go 7mm tcu in an ar?  Also wondering why it is quieter?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2010 at 11:40
It is quieter because it is a closed system, no gas vents anywhere but through the can.  On an AR, gas is vented to operate the bolt, the bolt cycling makes noise, the gas venting makes noise.

Put a bolt gun and an AR (with gas block operating the action) side-by-side - same velocity of the round, same can, and same projectile - and the bolt gun will be appreciably quieter to operate.  Or, that has been my experience.

I bought the brass and the guy that built the gun sold 223 curt-down brass, so that is what I bought.  I might try fireball, but don't have any dies to "alter" the brass dimensions other than FL and neck sizer.  Altered .223 brass is plentiful and not too expensive.  I've never seen or used fireball or even seen fireball brass.

I didn't pursue anything other than 30-cal because I own 7 other 30-cal guns and already have the projectile (in the hundreds and thousands) so it was a minimal outlay to move into a new format.  I don't own any 7mm, and "you gotta dance with who brung ya".

Also, keep in mind this is load development as well.  This was 'ol girl's maiden voyage, I am not pleased with the precision and accuracy yet, but this isn't the final recipe and the rifle will soon be in a new stock - and perhaps have a new scope.

More will follow shortly.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic