OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sighting in a new scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M7025-06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 11:03
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

actually you can put 100 pounds on the original as well you just stack them on top of each other.

I got ya....even better.  I was going by what the box said.  Big Grin
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 11:08
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

I just ordered a Lead Sled Plus...should be here on Friday. I have a couple of 25 lb. barbell weights lying around so it seemed like a good deal. I ordinarily just use a bipod but thought it would be useful once in a while. I also just bore sight through the bore on my bolt rifles and 1.7 mils high  and 1.2 mils right @ 100 yards (~ 6") and I just dialed in the corrections and was zeroed in 2 shots.

Pyro, out of curiosity, how can a scope be pre-bore sighted? I thought it had to be on the rifle.

HUH???
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
M7025-06 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M7025-06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 11:39

Pyro, out of curiosity, how can a scope be pre-bore sighted? I thought it had to be on the rifle.
[/QUOTE]
HUH???
[/QUOTE]

JonoMT...it was kickboxer that said SWFA sends him his scopes pre-bore sighted.  I was wondering the same thing you were.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 11:48
You guys aren't well acquainted with my friend, Sarcasm, are you?

The pre-bore sighted scopes works best when siting in on pre-shot targets; just be sure to get a target with a nice tight group.  They cost a little more, be ready.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 11:49
Sarc. is one cool dude too.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
M7025-06 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M7025-06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 11:56
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

You guys aren't well acquainted with my friend, Sarcasm, are you?

The pre-bore sighted scopes works best when siting in on pre-shot targets; just be sure to get a target with a nice tight group.  They cost a little more, be ready.

My bad...guess I'm a little slow.  But you're saving money on ammo, so it might a wash.

Semi Auto
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 12:21
Actually, the last two scopes I've received from SWFA... the 10xHD SS... I mounted on the rifle, used a mechanical boresighter and did not have to make a single adjustment... the boresight crosshair and scope crosshair were perfectly in ling.  The Zeiss Conquest, which I put on the Lott was the same way.  The Kahles ZF84 I just put on my 30-06 BAR and did not use the mechanical boresighter,  but just went out to see if I could hit paper at 20 yards (which will equate to a 300yard zero for the rifle/ammo I'm using).  The first three shots were touching about 4.5in left and 1 in low.  I was not at a bench, but using a shooting stick, so I never got to zero.  However, those two instances, really, three out of three, but I don't really count the Super Sniper since I immediately moved it to the .50 BMG,  were pretty darn good for just sticking the scope on the rail...

You mean SWFA did not do that intentionally?????

Edited by Kickboxer - February/03/2010 at 12:33
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 13:15
Alright, I was skeptical (and confused since I got the wrong person) but couldn't tell for sure. Now, where can I get these targets RC's talking about. Or should I just go out when I get the Lead Sled and shoot @ 25 yards and claim it was 250? Big Smile
Reaction time is a factor...
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 13:20
I'll sell you some, genuine targets, "prove" you are a master marksman.

M702506, it is a wash - right up to the point you pull the trigger on that champion buck, gun goes BOOM, and the buck runs away, startled but unscathed.  Then it is a wash no more!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
M7025-06 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M7025-06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 13:30
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

I'll sell you some, genuine targets, "prove" you are a master marksman.

M702506, it is a wash - right up to the point you pull the trigger on that champion buck, gun goes BOOM, and the buck runs away, startled but unscathed.  Then it is a wash no more!

I hear you on that one.  Or worse...you pull the trigger 4 times, that champion buck looks at you each time, smiles, then runs off right before the 5th shot...the sound of gun fire is replaced by a series of echoing f-bombs.   The sad thing is I've seen this happen...loose scope.  Big Grin
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 17:50
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

Alright, I was skeptical (and confused since I got the wrong person) but couldn't tell for sure. Now, where can I get these targets RC's talking about. Or should I just go out when I get the Lead Sled and shoot @ 25 yards and claim it was 250? Big Smile

Just so you fully understand...  I don't have a 300 yard range set up in my back yard.  I do have a 25 -100 and a 100-200.  However, the ZF84 requires a 300meter zero for the BDC to operate properly.  Based upon the ammo I am using, a 20meter zero will result in the equivalent of a 300meter zero.  It's called a battle sight zero.  
I'm not dead on and won't shoot any more at my house with that setup.  The "near" 20meter zero will put me pretty close for 300meters when I get to the range.  The range has enough flexibility that I can set up a target at 300m vs 300yds in order to fully calibrate to the ZF84 BDC.  
So, I've been able to play with a new scope designed and destined for a semi-auto .308 (that I probably won't get for a while) on a semi-auto 30-06, have a very good idea of how it is going to perform at 300meters, if the ballistic calcualtions are good.  I'll at least be on paper and I've saved a few steps over the methodology a number of people would use to zero this scope/rifle.  

Edited by Kickboxer - February/03/2010 at 17:51

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 22:49
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

SWFA sends me all my scopes pre-boresighted...

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 01:08
you might want to get those rifles back out and shoot them a few more times and re-zero...
No one
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 07:41
Originally posted by 338LAPUASLAP 338LAPUASLAP wrote:

you might want to get those rifles back out and shoot them a few more times and re-zero...

When required I will do so...

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 07:51
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

SWFA sends me all my scopes pre-boresighted...

Jealous...

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 07:52

With the Lott and Elvira you just have to be close huh, like hand gernades.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 07:57
boresight does not a zero make...  however, it is very nice when placing the scope on the rifle and checking boresight with a mechanical boresighter, no adjustments are required. 

When SWFA can send me a "pre-zeroed" scope, THAT will be IMPRESSIVE...

Edited by Kickboxer - February/04/2010 at 09:31

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 08:03

It can be done, just sent them Elvira and some ammo and I am sure Chris or Brady will take care of the Zero for you lol

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 08:19
That is NOT what I meant...

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 08:53
i like mark's method of pulling the bolt out and lining the bore up with the target and adjusting the scope, i can be in the bull at 100yds with three shots or less 
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic