OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sighting in a new scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M7025-06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sighting in a new scope
    Posted: February/02/2010 at 19:56

I've got a question maybe somebody can help me with.  I bought a new scope, mounted it on my Model 70 25-06, and bore sighted it (adjusted it to dead center).  When I went to sight it in, it was hitting 3''-4'' left and 2''-3'' low @ 25 yards.  I eventually got it to dead center @ 25 yards...moved back to 100 yards, and after 5 shots, was getting sub MOA 3 shot groups (acutally had 2 shots through the same hole).

My question is...is this pretty normal to have to adjust a scope that much, @ 25 yards, after using a bore sight?  Does the type/brand of bore sight make a difference?  I was just curious if others on here have experienced this.
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2010 at 20:54
To be honest I never have very good results with bore sighters. I am happy to be on paper at 100 and then adjust from there.
 I have used Tasco, Bushnell,BSA, and a laser I have since bought a leupold but haven't used it yet, find it is a little confusing so I may just use it to check zero when I take a rifle out of the safe.
froggy
M7025-06 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M7025-06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2010 at 21:40
I had the same results with my other 2 rifles using the same bore sight...that' why I thought maybe it was the type/brand of bore sight I was using.  I guess as long as I got sighted in to where I like it, it doesnt matter how I got there.  It would've been nice to save a little ammo though     Sharp Shooter
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2010 at 21:50
I've had better lock with a laser boresighter , but still generally needs some elevation adjustment at 25 yd.s to start
M7025-06 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M7025-06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2010 at 21:59
I've thought about getting a laser bore sight, but I think I'll just use that money for more ammo.  Hopefully I'm done buying new scopes for awhile.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2010 at 22:19
SWFA sends me all my scopes pre-boresighted...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
AstroVic View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AstroVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2010 at 22:42
Originally posted by M7025-06 M7025-06 wrote:

My question is...is this pretty normal to have to adjust a scope that much, @ 25 yards, after using a bore sight?  Does the type/brand of bore sight make a difference?  I was just curious if others on here have experienced this.

You've had a lot better luck than most guys I know (including me) have had.  There have been a few times where I've wasted a TON of ammo trying to get a scope sighted in properly at 100 yards. 

Then again, it might be my own fault on a few of those occasions.  lol :)
M7025-06 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M7025-06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 06:59

My buddy and I finally bought a Caldwell Lead Sled the other day.  Best $100 we've ever spent.  He shot both his rifles 3 times each and put em away.  We've always relied on the coats-on-the-hood-of-the-pickup method or using our bi-pods.  We just have to make sure we dont fall into using the bench rest all the time and not practice shooting.

AstroVic View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AstroVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 10:07
Originally posted by M7025-06 M7025-06 wrote:

My buddy and I finally bought a Caldwell Lead Sled the other day.  Best $100 we've ever spent. 

I've come close to buying one of those, but I could never seem to part with the cash.  After using one recently, I think it's time to go ahead and bite the bullet (no pun intended).
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 10:08
i love mine they are so nice!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
AstroVic View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AstroVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 10:19
I was looking at them at Gander Mountain a couple weeks ago and they had the regular and the "Plus" versions.  There was about $20 difference in price, yet I still haven't been able to figure out what the difference is between them.  They look identical in every way and nothing on the boxes indicated any difference between them. 

Anyone know?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 10:23
the weight tray on the plus slides, where its fixed on the original.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
AstroVic View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AstroVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 10:30
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

the weight tray on the plus slides, where its fixed on the original.

You are da man!  Heck, I must've stood there for 30 minutes trying to figure out what the difference was.  I felt like I was doing one of those "what's different between the two pictures" games or something, and I could never figure it out.

You'd think they would prominently state it somewhere on the box.  Anyhow, I'm glad I waited because now I have a better understanding.

Thanks.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 10:31
if i were to buy one today i would for sure pick up the lead sled dft, its well worth the extra money. my dad bought me the original lead sled 2 years ago so i cant complain about having the original. 50lbs of lead shot will tame my .375H&H
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 10:37
When I "bore sight", I remove the bolt and look down the bore, center the target (at 50 or 100 yards) and move the reticle to match.

I don't think the first round at 50 or 100 has ever been off paper.

Save money on the bore siters and use the bore.

On ARs, it ain't quite so easy, and on my SOCOM, it was a complete no-go; but it works well in most situations.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
AstroVic View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AstroVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 10:43
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

When I "bore sight", I remove the bolt and look down the bore, center the target (at 50 or 100 yards) and move the reticle to match.

That's exactly how I've been doing it lately.  It works very well.  Much better than most of the ones I've had bore sighted with the tool.  And it doesn't cost a dime, either! :)
M7025-06 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M7025-06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 10:47

The Lead Sled Plus will hold up to 100 punds while the original will only hold up to 25-50 pounds.  I put 60 pounds in mine (the Plus) and could hardly feel any recoil with my 25-06.  Cabelas had/has the Plus on sale for $100.00 (normally $130).

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 10:56
actually you can put 100 pounds on the original as well you just stack them on top of each other.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 11:00
On my bolt guns, I use the "pull the bolt and look down the bore" method... works better than all bore-sight tools that I've tried!  It really helps to have a helper to adjust the scope as you look thru it as well.
take em!
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 11:02
I just ordered a Lead Sled Plus...should be here on Friday. I have a couple of 25 lb. barbell weights lying around so it seemed like a good deal. I ordinarily just use a bipod but thought it would be useful once in a while. I also just bore sight through the bore on my bolt rifles and 1.7 mils high  and 1.2 mils right @ 100 yards (~ 6") and I just dialed in the corrections and was zeroed in 2 shots.

Pyro, out of curiosity, how can a scope be pre-bore sighted? I thought it had to be on the rifle.
Reaction time is a factor...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic