OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help me choose a scope 1200$ max

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autumnsummers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help me choose a scope 1200$ max
    Posted: February/02/2010 at 15:03
I would like your help with choosing a bench and hunting scope, I want good glass,target knobs, 14 to 20 max power , I will most likely shoot 800 yards or less.I have been looking at the Zeiss conquset 6.5 x20, Nikon mon X 4-16 ,  Trijicon accu-point 5-20-50 ,
Leupold m4 4.5 14  duplex
I want a good scope and am not as all knowing as some of you on this topic
I am sure that there are more out there but these are the ones I have been looking at
I will be putting it on a 10fp savage .308 
I am not looking for mildot  or fixed power      What one is the best bang for the buck?????????              Thanks in advance for the help,Whacko I am new here
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2010 at 15:07
11565 Nightforce 3.5-15X50 NXS NXS1550MLR, Matte finish, MLR reticle, 30mm tube, 1/4moa target knobs, side focus, ring marks $1,299.95
I think you would be great with this from the sample list if you can swing and extra hundo

Edited by SVT_Tactical - February/02/2010 at 15:08
autumnsummers1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autumnsummers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2010 at 16:49
Thanks SVT, But 1200.00 is all I can do, I haft to draw the line somewhere
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2010 at 17:09
Well, you would have a hell of a scope and it would hold its value great.  Once you reach that 1200 mark it be crazy not to jump on that deal for only 100 more But i understand  NF is top of the line. I dont' know from experience but they say if, with the emphasis on if, something goes wrong with it, they send you a loaner to use while they fix yours.  Maybe RC will chime in on the NF he likes them
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2010 at 17:16
I understand that but it was sound advice for a scope that is quite a bit more new. I also tend to think that you make a mistake excluding mil dot type reticles as the mil dots can be used for both know hold over marks and finding distance of known size object.  For hunting I have owned the 5-20x50 Trijicon wiht the red post and I found it a bit disconcerting that the lines forming the post would appear different under different conditions due to the fiber optic running up the post, however the crosshair and mildot versions do not suffer this.  The one thing that may be a factor is that the Trijicon has only 50moa of internal adjustment half of that should be above so if you were planning on much work at long range a plus 20 moa base might be a good idea and a plus 30 is too much really 15 would be about right but I dont know of one that is plus 10 or plus 15 off hand. I really like the feel of the controls on the Trijicon and the illumination is a good thing.  As for the Leu Mk4 4.5-14x40 duplex it has 100moa of internal adjustment and might be just the ticket for your rig.  Glass on a Zeiss will smoke the Leupold by a lot and the Zeiss is well liked by most hunters. If illumination is an issue the Leu Mk4 4.5-14x50 is available with illumination as is the 6.5-20x50 which I believe has 70 moa of internal adjustment.  Much depends on how you will use the scope because hunting guns tend to go through the brush and tall target knobs are at times awkward under those situations.  Also lower power tends to be better up close but I find that 6x is quite workable at even 50 yds.  Of what we have looked at since we are not including the Nightforce and likely the illuminated Leupolds will aslo be over price limit I have to say that I would go with the Trijicon the target knob height is much like the Nightforce and I really did like the one I had and would consider another but probably not with the post reticle.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2010 at 17:25
We will just run this thread here rather than double up with the same question under tactical.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autumnsummers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2010 at 17:35
Sorry about 2 threads but I was not sure if I ask in the rite one,
So you think that the mark 4 4-14 x50  lr/t would be good, I would love to have the NF
but I am looking at trying to get a stock also an that would really cut in to my stock fund
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2010 at 17:47
http://swfa.com/IOR-4-14x50-Tactical-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P10807.aspx

And if you cannot do $1224 then this one is the same scope with different knobs and no illumination.

http://swfa.com/IOR-4-14x50-Tactical-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P1822.aspx

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2010 at 17:49
If you're willing to consider a mil reticle, the Vortex PSTs will be out in a couple months and you'll save $300-400 off that budget.
Reaction time is a factor...
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autumnsummers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2010 at 18:02
I Have not looked at this one http://swfa.com/IOR-4-14x50-Tactical-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P10807.aspx

I also like the NF nsx    Is the glass on the NF good compared  to other high end glass??
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 01:07
Nightforce glass is good the adjustments are incredibly reliable.  Heinsold is incredible glass and the adjustments are incredibly reliable.  Nightforce is better than Leupold Mk4 glass but its not Swarovski or Zeiss Diavari quality.  When you are talking glass quality on scopes over a thousand dollars they are all good just some are so good they can get three times the money for them. Most of us in the real world are still pretty deadly with our lowly Leupold Mk4 scopes that we hope someday to upgrade to Nightforce or if we could win the lottery would just throw them away and buy Heinsoldt.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autumnsummers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 04:47
Thanks guys for all your help, What rings would I need for the NF 3.5x 15 -50??
I may get the NF and lower my stock fund to the B and C medaist Wink
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autumnsummers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 04:53
Sorry I meant what height rings, I will be getting the swaf 30mm/1" rings.
They look good to me for less money then the burris, any feedback on a base
would be nice also, With all The adjustment  of the NF I should not need a canted
base to get to 800yards,Whacko Should I??  
HOLLOWPOINT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOLLOWPOINT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 06:53
Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to do good. Thomas Paine
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 07:35

This is going the opposite direction, but there are some great dual- purpose hunting/target shooting scopes out there for a lot less than you want to spend. To get anything appreciably better than these, imho, you have to spend all you have or more. For example:

http://swfa.com/Sightron-4-16x42-SII-Big-Sky-Riflescope-P9167.aspx

http://swfa.com/Sightron-6-24x50-SIII-30mm-Riflescope-P9151.aspx

http://swfa.com/Burris-6-24x50-Black-Diamond-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P1692.aspx

http://swfa.com/Bushnell-45-30x50-Elite-6500-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P13141.aspx

http://swfa.com/Bushnell-6-24x40-Elite-4200-Rifle-Scope-P6911.aspx

http://swfa.com/Bushnell-25-16x42-Elite-6500-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P13139.aspx

http://swfa.com/Leupold-45-14x40-VX-3-Riflescope-P12691.aspx

http://swfa.com/Vortex-4-16x50-Viper-PST-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P44561.aspx

There are others out there. Most improvements in optics above this range in pricing are mostly incremental. 

"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 12:50

For 800 yds I don't think you would have too, be topping out possibly, but have no experience with that scope, my rule of thumb is its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. If it were me I would get a 20MOA base just to be safe

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autumnsummers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 17:40
I ended up buying a Nightforce nxs 3.5-15x50 with npr2 reticle, got it off webay
for 1240.00 with a nice set of GG@G steel 6 bolt rings shipped,
Cant wait to get it, I think that I will be pleased seeing that I have never had a scope
worth over 250.00 LOL I have ewg 0moa base I will probably haft to upgrade
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 17:43
You should be just fine with that base to get to 800 yards.  You only need about 27 MOA to reach 800 yards.  You will probably have around 50 MOA available after zero with that scope.  I would not worry about it unless you just want one, which is okay too.  Thunbs Up
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autumnsummers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 17:46
Thanks guys for all the help, SVT  turned me on to the night force on swfa's sample
list but I called this morning to buy it and it had sold last nightNo Clue so I went on a hunt and found a nice one in my price range on ebay and saved alittle cash to boot and got nice
rings
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 18:38
Your going to be happy with the quality of that scope...........they're heavy for my tastes but would definately be my scope for a bench gun !! Saw where you might go with BC Medalist .............if you are I would not worry a bit. I have one one a .223 XCR Tactical Compact and one on a Cooper Excalibur .30-06 . Both guns shoot under MOA at 100 yrds and the stocks are awesome..............I prefer the Cooper's style stock better than the tactiical stock for hunting though !!

Congrats and good luck...............sounds like the makings of a fine rifle!!

Edited by cbm - February/03/2010 at 18:40
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic