OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope repair/modification

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xausa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope repair/modification
    Posted: February/02/2010 at 08:21
I am a user of "vintage" hunting scopes. My favorite reticle is the flat top tapered post and crosshair, followed closely by the flat top tapered post. Sadly, these reticles are for the most part no longer available.  I have a modest collection of Noske, Lyman Alaskan and All American scopes, plus some Redfields, Unertls and early Leupolds with these reticles, but virtually no modern scopes.

Premier Reticles used to install them in Leupold scopes, but with the death of the owner, the knowledge of how to do this passed with him and the agreement with Leupold lapsed.

Does anyone know of a source for manufacturing and installation of these kinds of reticles in the United States? In Germany, I have found the Nickel company to be very cooperative in supplying my needs.
scubasteve View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scubasteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 02:40
www.ironsighter.com would be a good place to start.
ATF should be the name of a convience store, not afederal agency.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scubasteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 02:47
Delete that. Wrong site. For some reason I couldn't modify my post. Anyway, I forget who it was that bought all of the old Weaver inventory when the repair shop closed last year. They do repairs on older 'Merican scopes.  It'll come to me later........
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scubasteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 02:58
xausa View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xausa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 08:40
Thanks for the information. This is a valuable asset, especially for an old USMC dinger like me.

The list of scopes they repair looks like an inventory of my scope cabinet. Redfield, Unertl, Fecker, Kollmorgen, Zeiss, Hensholdt. I hope he'll be around for a long time!
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 09:05
Originally posted by xausa xausa wrote:

Premier Reticles used to install them in Leupold scopes, but with the death of the owner, the knowledge of how to do this passed with him and the agreement with Leupold lapsed.

It was more like the death of Leupold's cooperation in the venture that ended that service. I guess they prefer their own quality control...even one of Leupy's SHOT Show models had a reticle canted about 3 degrees (http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2010/02/03/shot-show-report-final-thoughts-on-the-2010-show/)

Edited by jonoMT - February/04/2010 at 09:06
Reaction time is a factor...
xausa View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xausa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 14:41
I just talked to Mike Sexton and he seems able to supply me with what I want at a reasonable price. Now I have to inventory my scopes and start to prioritize them.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic