OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Made in China?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Made in China?
    Posted: February/01/2010 at 14:41
Things seem to change so often; is there any way to keep track of which popular scopes are made by the Chicoms? Thanks...
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2010 at 14:44
Good luck getting that from them.

Most people haven't yet noticed the "Made in the USA" sticker NOT on Leupold boxes.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
GaryO View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2010 at 14:48
However, Leupold does state that the reborn Redfield scopes are made in Oregon right along side the Leupold scopes(I think).
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2010 at 14:52
Originally posted by GaryO GaryO wrote:

Things seem to change so often; is there any way to keep track of which popular scopes are made by the Chicoms? Thanks...

Not easily.  However, if there is a particular model you are wondering about, someone might know.

ILya
Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2010 at 15:57
Most scopes are being made somewhere in Asia.I hate to think that the Leupold is made entirely in China.Some high end scopes are being made to there specs at a big savings in these factories.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2010 at 16:19
Originally posted by Randall45 Randall45 wrote:

I hate to think that the Leupold is made entirely in China.

They aren't.  Every metal and mechanical component (Tube, erector ass, turrets) is made in Oregon.  Their lenses aren't.  They get their glass from various sources in Asia, which may or may not include China.  They aren't forthcoming about where they get it, only to say that it comes from multiple Asian sources.  This is nothing new.  There are very few consumer items made entirely in the US anymore.  Even stuff that says "made in USA" on the product usually has at least some components made elsewhere (i.e. screws, o-rings, etc.).
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2010 at 17:33
Ouch  I think I got a made in china ---  screw ---- one time.    StareShocked

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2010 at 18:14
  There are very few consumer items made entirely in the US anymore.  Even stuff that says "made in USA" on the product usually has at least some components made elsewhere (i.e. screws, o-rings, etc.).
[/QUOTE]

This holds true for German products, also. It is not possible to know where every component comes from.
Could you imagine a Swarovski factory that produced the metal pieces, rubber o-rings and eye- cups, chemical coatings, and even the nitrogen gas that goes in to their products? 
Sounds dumb to mention all this, but there are those out there that believe all these items are produced by the same company,and even same location.

Edited by HuntMaster - February/02/2010 at 18:16
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2010 at 20:10
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Counter-clockwise to tighten??
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 00:46
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

Counter-clockwise to tighten??

Not sure it fell out of my CRKT pocket knife before I knew there was an issue with the way they attached the blade to the handle.  Now I have half a screw so the other half is always loose.  What do you do with a knife with a screw looseWhatever.  I think I got screwed by the chinese, and it looked like such a good knife,  didnt last two month before it fell apart.  Bet their scopes look good up untill you have them a month.Shocked

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 09:46
You can bet on it.  WE (Black & decker--Dewalt Power tools) have all our hand tools
made to our specs in China and Taiwan.  Same for the Chargers and Battery pack modules.  The Chinese are great at copying but their culture inhibits free thought so innovation is few and far between there.  WE are extremely diligent in specifying and inspecting our product.
AS long as you your looking they are your best friend and do hi quality work.  As soon as you turn your back.... they have a tendency to start cutting corners to save money and reduce production time.  At first this was a real battle cause they are co-operative to your face but not so much behind your back.  We finally won the war by rejecting several hundred and sometimes thousands of sub-standard  product refusing to bear any cost ourselves.  That wised them up.  Having the clout helps.   They make about 1.5 million Dewalt chargers annually so we have the clout!  They were our sole source and tested us on this.  Now they aren't a sole source and it rocked their world! They used to make 2 million chargers a year.  Loosing 25% of that product got their attention.

Even now we catch them doing stuff like changing the test parameters on the end of line tester to improve 1st time yields.  Seems this is how the plant supervisors are graded
for performance and raises.

So yes I would be suspicious of everything made in china that is not 100% USA inspected with a fine tooth comb!

Edited by budperm - February/03/2010 at 09:47
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 09:51
bud i hate to be a dick to you, but dewalts batteries suck!!!! they include the charger and  two batteries with a tool and the batteries last a year and then they are junk and then you gotta decide do i wanna spend $100 for new batteries or do i wanna spend $150 and get a new tool charger and two new batteries sorry.

rant off
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 10:29
I have a 12V Dewalt my wife purchased for me one year for my birthday, before we left Kalifornia.  We left Kali in 1998.  Two years ago, the batteries started failing, I replaced one, but both will hold a charge if only for a little while.  I have a much newer 18 V Dewalt now and my wife has a 12V and they have been outstanding.  I've found that the batteries last better if you recharge and rotate them regularly...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 10:33
we use ours every day at work, my boss finally decided to try another brand. so far so go it made it through this last construction season without a hitch.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
AstroVic View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AstroVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 10:35

When I first read this post, something entirely different came to mind.  LOL :)
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 11:37
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

bud i hate to be a dick to you, but dewalts batteries suck!!!! they include the charger and  two batteries with a tool and the batteries last a year and then they are junk and then you gotta decide do i wanna spend $100 for new batteries or do i wanna spend $150 and get a new tool charger and two new batteries sorry.

rant off
Slow down a tad. First are you talking NiCad or Lithium batteries.  Secondly where are you storing them during your winters?  No battery likes extreme cold.  Thirdly all the battery cells are made in Japan not China.  Due to heavy metals (Cadmium) our suppliers (Sony and Sanyo) have been pushing for several years to stop making NiCads.  Europe won't allow them , they use Nickle metal Hydride.  NiCad Cells are a completely mature product, no more development.  Sony stopped supplying us 2 years ago.  Sanyo is ramping down as the equipment dies so does their capacity.  Last year the high end cell we use were discontinued by Sanyo.  The replacement cells CP2500 are highest grade consumer cells available.
How are you using them?  Are you working the packs hard?  Cells are also sensitive to heat.  Overheating will shorten the life of any cell while extreme cold makes them go inert.

Now thet good news!  Since 2004 Dewalt tools have carried a 3 year warranty.  I believe the pack carry a two year warranty.  Dewalt has always been sensitive to pack and charger
complaints and issues cause of poosible liability issues.  If you have pack that died in one year, look on line www.dewalt.com and find nearest service center.  If none are convenient then call 1-800 Dewalt.  Your will also assuredly get your packs replaced for free!
--Thomas Jefferson

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 11:47
i hate to jack this thread more. we had nicad batteries in 12v and 18v tools, drills saws all type saws and circular saws. we use them to cut pipe and drill holes in plastic septic parts, so they dont abused but the work isnt easy either. we store our electrical tools inside our heated shop during the winter. we got to the point where our boss would go buy 4 new batteries every spring and by fall they would last about 10 min. on a full charge.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 11:49
How about that Toyota recall, and what about global warming?

I'll check back in on this thread in a few days and see where it has wandered to.

Carry on.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 12:13
Made in China covers a broad area, but maybe should move to "almost a... g..." if it's not scopes...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 12:34
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

i hate to jack this thread more. we had nicad batteries in 12v and 18v tools, drills saws all type saws and circular saws. we use them to cut pipe and drill holes in plastic septic parts, so they dont abused but the work isnt easy either. we store our electrical tools inside our heated shop during the winter. we got to the point where our boss would go buy 4 new batteries every spring and by fall they would last about 10 min. on a full charge.
No I want to hear this stuff.

The recip and circular saws are the two worst tools on batteries.  The recip (sawsall) vibrates the crap out of the batteries and weaken the battery strap welds.  The circular is and largest current drain!  I never like the 18V circular saw, felt it is wimpy!  The 36V circular kicks ass.  However the only tools I like in the 36V line are The Circular saw and the 325FtLB impact gun.  The gun is great for pulling lug nuts in the middle of nowhere!  I am going to venture to say that the short battery life is probably due to heating issues.  Were the pack noticeably warm or hot when they came out of the tool?
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic