OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ruger No. 1 in 300 win Needs Scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc300win Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ruger No. 1 in 300 win Needs Scope
    Posted: August/29/2005 at 22:24

I have lusted after a Ruger 1S in 300 win for years, and finally had a new one given to me by my brother who inherited it and doesn't hunt. I want the best scope for the $200-$300 I have to spend, and have come to prefer good eye relief since a .338 mag remodeled my forehead a few years ago while using one of the older Burris fullfield scopes with its short and critical ER. Would you optics gurus rate the following possibilities: Weaver GS (I have one on my .270 and love it, but the eye relief seems a bit short for a magnum), Sightron SII, Burris Fullfield with Ballistic Plex- looking at 3X9, 40mm or as close as possible.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2005 at 10:14
The problem I have had with Ruger 1's is the extremely long lock time. Remember they have a real underhammer and the shooter must hold the gun through the target longer. About the same as a flint lock rifle. Couple this with the tension problem by the forend makes the accuracy I desire very difficult to obtain. (Brownings are even worse). If this is not enough the rib used to anchor the scope is sometimes not aligned directly with the bore, and will loosen on heavier calibers couple this with the extremely short action makes almost all scopes "stick out" over the stock too much on #1's. Opps Forgot this is a "scope" forum, Personally I would go with something in 2X-6x.
mc300win View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc300win Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2005 at 14:58

I thought about a shorter scope- does anyone have experience with the Burris Compact Magnum scopes? 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic