OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Fixed Power Scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fixed Power Scopes
    Posted: August/29/2005 at 19:43
What ever happened to fixed power scopes?   While looking for a scope for a new rifle I realized that everything is a varible now.   This best I could do was a fixed power Leupold FX-3 12x40 at a ridiculous price of $529. At 12x that isn't very much.

They also have competition fixed power scopes in 35x and 40x but with a price of $1000.

Seems like no one builds a fixed power scope anymore. I don't like a varible. Started out with a varible on my 700 VS and just hated it. No matter how you look at it a varible scope just doesn't have the accuracy of a fixed power.  The second year I put a Leupold 24x fixed power on it and never regretted that decision. The price for that scope was $190.

But the internet is a marvelous thing. A little searching and I found the exact same scope as on my 700 VS for sale, of course not for $190. But it's on its way here this week.

Still, I'd like to know where all the fixed power scopes went.

JoeD
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2005 at 00:27

You need to look a little closer.  Fixed power scopes are alive and well, but obviously not to the extent they once were.  All major manufacturers are still makeing your basic fixed 4X, 6X and so on.  I have to disagree with your statement that variables are not as accurate as fixed power scopes.  That was true years ago, but it is no longer the case.  Variables are more common now because they are as accurate, reliable, and more versatile than fixed powers.

ranburr 

joed View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2005 at 05:10

Maybe I'm just being old fashioned but all of Leupolds competition scopes are high power fixed.  The problem I always had with a varible is that the POI would change depending on the power setting of the scope.   They may have gotten better but I bet they're still not as good as a fixed power.  

Guess I'm going to have to check into what's used in competition.   Maybe I'm all wet with my opinion of scopes.

valleypine View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valleypine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2005 at 06:46

If you're a hunter, the advantage to the fixed power scope is that you are not always fiddling with the range settings. I hunt only in the brush and rarely will a shot be over 50 yards. I've found 4X to be a good setting for these type conditions. All things being equal, a fixed power scope will by default be more reliable than a variable power scope because there are no moving parts in the fixed power scope. However, I'm told in this day and age that this difference in reliability is most likely insignificant.   

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2005 at 10:05
You underestimate the qualityof the fixed 12 Leo. Check out Weaver's T-4 24X still one of the best scopes on the market. POI changes were a problem with bench guns but variables such as Leo's target and Nightforce's bench variables don't occur. Exit pupil is the main problem. Usually around 3 with the higher powers.
joed View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2005 at 14:19

Dale, I was going to get the Leo fixed 12X if I couldn't find anything else.   My Remington 700 VS has an older Leo M8 24X on it and it is the greatest.   I did a search for that M8 and happened to find an M8 36X which is on its way to me now.   I'm totally sold on fixed power scopes even though I do have a few varibles.

JoeD

joed View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2005 at 14:33

Dale, outside of 1 Weaver scope I've only owned Leupolds.   I just looked at the Weaver and it looks very good.   Guess my next scope will be a Weaver T4.

JoeD

ots03 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ots03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2005 at 18:43

All european brands(zeiss, swarovski, khales, docter, kaps, schmidt bender, nickel, pecar, ior, meopta and some others...) makes exelent fixed power scopes. Also burris and leupold have some good fixed power in their catalog. Also if you want a cheaper scope you can find some china made (or similar country ) scopes....

What are you looking for ? 

bad aim View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bad aim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2005 at 19:29
Super Sniper scopes are also well-made and is very economically priced. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic