OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SIGHTRON SIII 1.5-6X50 4A

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SIGHTRON SIII 1.5-6X50 4A
    Posted: January/30/2010 at 23:53
Any opinions on this scope? Is it 30mm or 1 inch tube? Whats it worth?
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2010 at 06:13

It's a model shown in Sightron's 2006 catalog. Not sure when it debuted or when Sightron dropped it. Should be a great low- light scope. It's a foot long, 21oz, 30mm tube. Big. They were selling at closeout sales in early 2009 for $299.

Edited by Alan Robertson - January/31/2010 at 06:25
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2010 at 20:24
The S3 model is a 30 mm tube.This model is similar to the Docer Optik 1-6x50 scope in performance in low light.
JimFromTN View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimFromTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 14:25
I own one.  I love this scope.  It's probably the brightest scope you will ever buy.  The originally retailed anywhere from $600 to $700 and it rates with those in that price range.  I picked mine up for $300.  CheaperThanDirt was selling them for $299 for a while.  There is one out on ebay now.
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 16:46
Whats the #4 reticle like in that scope? Is there a wide spacing between the heavy posts in the middle of the reticle or do the heavy outer posts come close to the center of the reticle? Did you have trouble mounting due to limited mounting area?
JimFromTN View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimFromTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2010 at 13:59
The heavy posts come close to the center of the scope.  I mounted mine on a tc omega ML and had no problems.  I think I used millet 30 mm high rings.  You might be able to get away with medium height rings depending on the manufacturer.  The only thing that I can say negative about the scope is that a 50mm obj on a 1.5-6 power scope is kind of pointless.  There is no reason to have more than a 42mm obj on a 1.5-6 power scope.  It definately would not keep me from buying another.  I wish I had the money laying around when CheaperThanDirt had them on sale because I would have bought a couple more just to stick away.

I also have a Sightron SII 1.5-6x42 on a slug gun.  Its really good glass also.  There is one of those on ebay right now also.  I would not hesitate to buy another one of these either.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic