OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Looked through a Trijicon today-YOWZA!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looked through a Trijicon today-YOWZA!
    Posted: January/30/2010 at 21:37
I went to my local Gander Mountain store today and looked through a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9X40 -Is that a cool scope or what? When I put it up to my eye, I forgot that it had that whole tritium thing going on - what a surprise to see the reticle glowing a lovely yellow color - way cool! Anyone here use one of these for hunting? I want to here all about it, eye relief, lowlight capabilities, etc....... Also interested on how it would compare to my ever so favorite Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40. Anybody here ever compare them in low light? Thanks for any and all info!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2010 at 23:46
Where have you been Lolita?  Well yes there are several of us who like the Accupoints and Trijicons in general.  As for comparing the Zeiss I believe SWFA is sending me one.  If you thought the 3-9 was cool wait till you see the 2.5-10x56 and then there is the 5-20x50 with tactical knobs, I cant wait to see the next generation of that scope a couple years down the road.   They are awesome for hunting and come on target very quickly. On the range soemtimes its almost too bright and if you hold you hand over the fiber optic that will tone it down.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - January/30/2010 at 23:47

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
huntingaddict View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntingaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2010 at 11:14
The end also rotates to cover some of the fiber optic to tone it down.
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2010 at 12:46
A little strip of tape works well too.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2010 at 14:27
Brian,
I have the Accupoint 3-9X40 and use it on one of my nighttime hog rifles.  I love it!  I too have the amber reticle on miine.  As for the Conquest comparison, I think the Conquest 3-9X has slightly better resolution and contrast, but the Trijicon is no slouch and makes up for the optical difference with its super cool reticle.  Some of the Accupoints, namely the 2.5-10X56 and 1.25-4X24, have pretty widely varying eye relief from low to high magnification, but the 3-9X40 is good in this regard, with only .2" difference between 3 and 9X.  It has a little bit of tunnel vision, but not enough to be annoying to me.  It is fairly lightweight and compact.

I would say the 2 scopes are equivalent in low light performance, though I haven't done a head to head comparison.  The Accupoint has pretty good light transmission and the reticle is one of the best lit reticles you can find.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2010 at 15:03

I use the Trijicon ACOG 4X on my M4, and I used a piece of 100mph tape( dark green duct tape) and taped over all but about a 1/4 of an inch of the tridium, cuts down on brightness, yet still receives enough light to use at nighttime, hope this helps you out.

You don’t know what you don’t know.

And those who don’t know and never try, never will.

LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2010 at 15:07
HAHA I forgot to put to only cut the tape to the width of the tridium glass, it also cuts down on glare from the sun too, just a helpful tip. I haven't seen that scope, but im sure it has glass over the tridium like the rest of the trijicons with tridium.
You don’t know what you don’t know.

And those who don’t know and never try, never will.

bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2010 at 15:23
Ted, do you have the amber triangle or the amber-dot crosshair?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2010 at 16:00
Amber triangle.  Some people don't like the triangle post reticle, but I do.  I didn't think I would like it at first, but it quickly grew on me.  It provides a very "clean," open, uncluttered sight picture, and it's very fast.  You use it just like you would the pointer on your computer cursor when clicking on an icon, aiming with the very tip of the top of the triangle.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic