OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Back after two decades

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Italian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Back after two decades
    Posted: January/30/2010 at 14:25

From 1965 to 1985 I used to do quite a bit of rifle shooting including competition, sport and hunting.  After my kids came along I sort of placed that all aside to save on money.  I had a Bosch and Lomb on a 30-06 which I found out they do not make anymore.  I had Nikons on both a 300 and 338 win mags.  

I recently started back into shooting and I am playing around with a couple of military rifles my dad came back from WWII with which I want to place scopes on -  I have selected the Kalinka side rail and mount for the riles.  These come with equivalent 1 inch rings.  

What are good quality low priced scopes for this application in the variable 2 to 12, t 4 to 16 or 6 to 24 range?  I have seen some intriguing scopes on the Kalinka web site, however, there some pretty negative reviews.  Anyone have any suggestions?  I would probably say in the order of less than 300 dollars. 

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2010 at 00:13
 Bushnell 4200  3-9x40
Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope Multi-X Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
Stock # - 423944M
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • Rainguard
  • Free Fleece Pullover (Mail-In Coupon)
$299.95 
Add Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope to Cart 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2010 at 00:43
I would be very cautious with pretty much any scope sold by Kalinka.  There are more entertaining ways to waste money.

In the 4-12x range, I would suggest Vortex Diamondback:

In the 3-9x40 range, the ELite 4200 that Wes recommended above is excellent, as are Vortex Viper and Weaver Grand Slam:

ILya
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2010 at 12:52
You said you had a B&L scope before if you liked it then the Bushy 4200
you'll be happy to know is it's offfspring.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic