OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - I think I would of pulled the trigger on him....
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

I think I would of pulled the trigger on him....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2010 at 21:05
In the cats defense, I've killed and eaten both Deer and Goat. Deer is yummy, the goat tasted like it had been eating nothing but buttholes for a while.

Oh and Coolaid, I hunt a lot around Barksdale/Camp Wood. "some canned hunts, others a bit more sporting"

On all the places I hunt, hogs, coyotes, and big cats are free to take if sighted.
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2010 at 21:52
Originally posted by Risasi Risasi wrote:

Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

mountain lions arent like wolves, they kill to eat. 

I'm not too sure about that. When it comes to killing for food vs. killing for sport, that's kind of a gray area, hard to say which is the rule and which is the exception. Especially the females...

an adult lion will kill and eat one deer a week. ive seen small packs of wolves kill hundreds of elk on a winter feed ground in wyoming in a couple of months, and most werent eaten.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Risasi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Risasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2010 at 09:14

I'm not too sure about that. When it comes to killing for food vs. killing for sport, that's kind of a gray area, hard to say which is the rule and which is the exception. Especially the females...

an adult lion will kill and eat one deer a week. ive seen small packs of wolves kill hundreds of elk on a winter feed ground in wyoming in a couple of months, and most werent eaten.

I'm glad you clarified. 
Fair enough. I have no experience with wolves. Just cougar and 'yotes. 

Over the years I've had a few friends/relatives report losing dozens of calves and sheep to one cougar in a short period of time. But I do think that is probably more of the exception than the norm. 
But I could see where a pack of wolves will be more destructive than a predominantly solitary animal. 
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2010 at 09:18
Either way, they all need a .30 supository!
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2010 at 09:40

I'm glad you clarified. 
Fair enough. I have no experience with wolves. Just cougar and 'yotes. 

Over the years I've had a few friends/relatives report losing dozens of calves and sheep to one cougar in a short period of time. But I do think that is probably more of the exception than the norm. 
But I could see where a pack of wolves will be more destructive than a predominantly solitary animal. 

dont get me wrong, cougar's aren't any less guilty than any other predator when it comes to live stock, although in my native wyoming between the grizzly's and the wolves and coyotes, cougars were seldom the culprit in livestock kills. it does happen though, more with sheep than cattle.
as you mentioned generally cougars are solitary, and wolves usually hunt in packs, which can result in multiple kills in one area. cougars are the only animal ive ever seen fight off a grizzly bear for food. a pack wolves will try, but the success rate is about 0-1% successful.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic