OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

which one of these?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: which one of these?
    Posted: January/30/2010 at 04:26
I started thinking this moring about the price of the S&B, and started to look at the zeiss conquest 6.5-20X50, and the leupold Mark 4 6.5-20X50, but only know that the Leupold is a FFP, which is what I want, and don't know much about the Conquest. Any tips will help. thanks guys. Plus either one of these scopes has a much higher magnification than the S&B 3-12X50.
You don’t know what you don’t know.

And those who don’t know and never try, never will.

Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2010 at 05:44
It's hard to tell exactly what you want.  You said you didn't want a mildot reticle, but now you say you want FFP and Leupold's only FFP Mark 4's have Mil reticles and if you don't want one of those why do you want FFP?  Maybe it would help to describe how you plan to use the scope.  This will help us better determine what sort of reticle suits you best, how important good turrets will be, etc.

Do you plan on dialing elevation and windage?  If so, a simple duplex will work fine.  FFP, SFP, it does not matter.

Do you plan on holding over for elevation and windage with the reticle?  If so, several brands offer holdover-type reticles that can work, but most are in the SFP unless you go with a Mil reticle.

Do you plan to dial elevation and hold wind (my personal preference)?  If so, it is helpful to have some sort of windage marks on the main horizontal crosshair--some holdover reticles have this, many do not.  And most will be in the SFP.  Most you'll find available for this in the FFP will be Mil and MOA reticles in tactical scopes.
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2010 at 07:31
The way that I'm understanding it is that FFP's reticles appear the same size on target, whether 10 yds or 500 yards, in relation to the magnification, and with SFP, the reticle covers more of the target when magnification is being used. Truth is, I'm trying to understand scopes, and trying to decide how to properly use them. I also was picturing a 7mm RM, and now people have suggested that a .300 WM will better suit my goals. I plan on using this for 95% hunting, and 5% target shooting, once I get better at shooting. I think actually after reading a Mil reticle will actually teach me how to adjust for shots better.

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2010 at 08:03
In SFP scopes, the reticle does not appear to increase in size with magnification increases. Thus, at longer ranges, it won't cover as much of the "target". With FFP scopes it does.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2010 at 08:06
I'm glad someone finally cleared that up for me.

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2010 at 10:50
I think, for the sake of go info passing from us to you, we need more deetails.

What is your shooting experience and background?
What animals will you be hunting?
What is your budget?
Will you be hunting from blinds or stalking animals?

That's a start

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2010 at 11:32
I don't have hardly any long rifle experience, besides an old savage 7mm mag i had when i was younger to hunt with, I spent alot of time with a shotgun in my hands, but I do know I have a backgound on CQM-type firing, and machine guns, but not a lot long rifle. I will be hunting whitetail, mule deer mainly, with hopefully some elk chances next season(washington). I will be be moving alot more than stationary while hunting, and my budget as it stands right now is 2500, now I can squeeze some more money into it, since ill have a year to decide and build.

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2010 at 11:41
Where you shoot machine guns?

If this is a stalking gun (not hunting from stand), I would recommend a 300WM but that is personal preference, 300WM is my all-around favorite ammo.

For a stalking gun, you probably want something with hunting turrets, maybe a ranging reticle (since it is thin, you might want to consider illuminated if hunting in low light), and you want to be CERTAIN you can handle the round without fear of recoil (light-weight 7 mags and 300WM generate recoil some cannot tolerate.)

I own several 300 WM (hunting and tactical) and all wear 3-12X or 3-15X (in that ballpark) scopes, more is a waste and is usually too big to go on a stalker.

Range time is what you will need, lots of range time.  DO NOT buy a gun/scope that leads to no $$ for range fees and ammo.  If getting a lesser scope will have you shooting more, get a lesser scope.  A Conquest will do 90% of what a Diavari will do and for allot less money.

Forget the 20X, you wouldn't use it in the field.  Get a Conquest 4-14 or Diavari 3-12, 20X off-hand would be like be an epileptic on meth: not a good shooting scenario.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2010 at 11:49
Haha I'm like Burt off the movie Tremors with guns, lol. No I've actually been in the military going on 5 years, but oddly, no long range stuff. Messed around with the 5.56 SAW, the 7.62 M240B, and the M2 .50 Cal quite a bit. The good thing is, on base I'll have a free 100 yd range, and back home, my wifes parents own 30 acres of land, alot of it flat, so I'll be able to shoot. Recoil isn't a problem for me, I'll be fine with either the 7mm or .300, new recoil pad and muzzle break will help that out alot. I really like that Conquest, and I'm glad I was talked out of the S&B, my wife would of killed me, haha.

LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2010 at 12:06
So, can you explain what the hunting turret is, and the target turret is, and what the difference between them are?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic