OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Any input on a S&B 3-12X50 Variable power?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any input on a S&B 3-12X50 Variable power?
    Posted: January/29/2010 at 11:36
That's what was recommended to me by a buddy from work, but was wondering if anyone had any experiences with this one, and could maybe offer same quality, for a lesser price.
You don’t know what you don’t know.

And those who don’t know and never try, never will.

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2010 at 12:14
Great scope; however, many other options exist - some as good as or better for less money.

On what is it going?
What will you be doing with it?
At what will you be shooting?
At what ranges will you be shooting?
What is your budget?

S&B is never cheap!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2010 at 12:15
http://opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=21707
stems from this
and this

Edited by SVT_Tactical - January/29/2010 at 12:18
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2010 at 12:47
as it stands right now, a Rem Model 700 Sendero SFII in 7mm Rem Mag, and elk and smaller up to 800 yds

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2010 at 12:51
i hope you realize that people are going to give you the "ethics" talk when you mention 800yds and elk. just saying be ready, cause i certainly wouldnt shoot them that far away. knocking them down at 100yds can be a chore, let alone 8 times that far, plus when you shoot one half a mile away that means you gotta pack it that much further. you knock an elk down and then the work begins.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2010 at 12:58

Chances are that will probably never happen, a 800 yd shot on a monster bull, but the elk hunting in washington really causes some serious shots being made, plus what are friends and 4 wheelers for, right?

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2010 at 13:02

I want to try to say this without offending you so please don't take it personal and if this is over the line please, one of the mods let me know or delete it,

You are new to shooting as you have pointed out in your other post, you will be very lucky if you can effectively engage targets at 500yds as you progress, by that time I hope you realize the amount of skill it takes to shoot an animal at that distances and beyond you will realize how irresponsible it is to do it at that range and not know what you doing.  Sure they do it, on youtube and some shows, but you can normally stalk to get closer to your game and then take a shot that will be more ethical.
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2010 at 13:13
I don't take that the wrong way, and I always know that stalking is a much better technique, and something I planned on doing. I will probably admit my furthest shot may never get to 500, but just in case. I haven't shot a lot outside military shooting, so thats what I'm new at, but the fundamentals are apparently the same, steady position, aiming, breathing control, and trigger squeeze. I have shot targets with a M4 with the BS mass .223 nato round at 500-600 meters, with a trijicon 4X, i was just wondering what the difference could be. BTW anyone that replies to my posts can say what they truthfully think, im all about constructive criticism.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2010 at 13:44
i just want you to realize that the roosevelt elk isnt like a human. these are the biggest of the north american elk. ive hunted elk where i grew up in wyoming, and they dont get near as big there, and they are tough to bring down at times. like i said you shoot one and the work begins. shooting paper targets is nothing like shooting an animal, adrenaline runs through you and if it doesnt you need to quit hunting. so just your basic shooting skills will help but there is more to it than that, taking the shot is easy. the events leading up to the shot and stuff after the shot are hard. any of us here will certainly be more than willing to help you out any way we can to make sure you prepare yourself in advance to make it a great experience for you.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2010 at 13:53
Thats what I'm talking about. Some good ol boys. I guess I'll have to put the stalking training to test when I get the chance to hunt again, see the only hunting I'm doing now is government funded, if you know what I'm saying.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2010 at 13:55
S&B is a great scope, although I am not sure you need one for what you want.  If you can afford it, go for it.

If you can't, you can do very well for less money.  The cartridge you have chosen is not cheap to shoot.  Shooting accurately at long range in the field is much harder than people give it credit for, so practice is paramount.

My personal recommendation would be to go with a cheaper scope (you can find excellent scopes in the $500 to $1000 range) and the remaining funds spent of ammunition and practice.

ILya
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2010 at 14:08
ILya? someone is going to have to teach me all the acronyms, im good at using them once figured out haha

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2010 at 14:13
 Well said about the practice

Edited by SVT_Tactical - January/29/2010 at 14:13
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2010 at 14:19
I had a 3-12X50 PMII and it was an excellent scope in pretty much every way.  Though for that much money, you have lots of choices.  I don't know if you could say many, or even any, offer the "same quality" at a lesser price but you can certainly get very good quality for less money.

What are your feelings about size and weight of the scope?  Your rifle isn't light, but depending upon how much you carry it you might not want to add much more, or maybe you don't care.  That will narrow down your choices.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2010 at 15:24
Originally posted by LRSMike LRSMike wrote:

ILya? someone is going to have to teach me all the acronyms, im good at using them once figured out haha

Which acronym are you referring to?
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2010 at 15:34
ILYA, i didnt know if that was an acronym, and no, weight doesnt bother me. I carried a M240B for two years of my life, at 27.6 pounds, thats a heavy piece of equipment, so 10-12 pounds won't really affect me.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2010 at 15:40

ILYA, i didnt know if that was an acronym, and no, weight doesnt bother me. I carried a M240B for two years of my life, at 27.6 pounds, thats a heavy piece of equipment, so 10-12 pounds won't really affect me.

ILya is my name.  I can probably come up with an acronym of some sort if need be though...

ILya
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2010 at 15:42
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to slander your name like that man. Now I'm going to crawl into a fetal position and cry...

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2010 at 15:58

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to slander your name like that man. Now I'm going to crawl into a fetal position and cry...

No worries.  I am only going to remember it for 25-30 years (not that I hold grudges...).

On a more serious note.  S&B is a great scope, but like with any top end product, you may a lot of money for extra few percent of performance.  You can probably get 90% of performance for half the price (figuratively speaking since it is hard to quantify "performance" in this case).

I would suggest you look at the following scopes, and then stock on ammo and learn to reload (in no particular order):

I would also keep a close eye on SWFA's Samplelist.

ILya
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2010 at 16:02
I was actually eyeing the Zeiss starting off...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic