OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

17hmr

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 17hmr
    Posted: January/29/2010 at 08:17
same question at a different time--
17 hmr mossberg bolt action for plinking with the kids and possibly some varminting. 
suggestions for rings and scope?
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2010 at 14:08
BSA 6-18x40 Sweet 17 Riflescope Plex BSA 6-18x40 Sweet 17 Riflescope
Stock # - 17618X40AO
  • Matte
  • Plex
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Waterproof
  • Fogproof
  • Shockproof
  • 100 to 300 yards Bullet drop precisely calculated to compensate for the elliptic drop of a .17 grain 17HMR bullet
$79.95
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2010 at 14:10
Burris Zee 1 Burris Zee 1" Rings
Stock # - 420087
  • Matte
  • High
$19.95

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2010 at 14:11

That would be a sweet setup for the kiddos and assuming it has the base from the factory that is all you would need to get going.

stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 09:29
Burris signature zee rings. no ring marks on the scope. no lapping.
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 10:20
I ordered the BSA and the rings and they should be here next week.  Another great experience with SWFA and Optics Talk!
thanks--I will post a review--
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 11:26
Good luck hope you like it.
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 12:50
If you chose the rings with the offset inserts, they help out with those predictiments when you may have to crank on wind/elevation to get zeroed.

Jim
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2010 at 09:12
package arrived yesterday!  Mounted things last night and take to the range Friday if we don't get rained out here in SC!  For the money, I am so far impressed!
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2010 at 09:19
GOOD LUCK with your setup....
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2011 at 11:00
i'm picking up a 17 hmr, and need some glass. but i'm hesitant on bsa, looking for something under $200 for shots out to 250 or so on ground hogs.

if the bsa is decent then i'll give it a shot.

thanks,
J
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2011 at 11:05
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2011 at 11:09
buckmasters are wonderful scopes with great glass for the money. You might want to consdier Burris timerbline 4.5-14 with ao and ballistic plex.
I would not recommend a 17hmr for grounds at 250 yards. I just dont see the power or accuracy at that range. Paper/steel fine. But the slightest breeze could cause you to miss or would the creature.
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2011 at 11:29
well we can only use rimfires under 25 cal in delaware. and a 22 mag won't get out that far, but have seen hogs taken at 250 with the 17hmr. i dont know of any bigger rimfires
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2011 at 11:34
Originally posted by jjrgr21 jjrgr21 wrote:

well we can only use rimfires under 25 cal in delaware. and a 22 mag won't get out that far, but have seen hogs taken at 250 with the 17hmr. i dont know of any bigger rimfires

Never done it, but heard of dudes taking small game out to 250 yards w/ a .22 mag. 
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2011 at 11:48
most 22mag loads go subsonic before 200 yards so it can affect accuracy. I feel sorry for ya being limited in what your state permits. 17hmr is a good round. I would def try to keep them closer if possible. Good luck. The burris scope i recommend the ballistic plex  is a  bullet drop holdover reticle. Althought the glass is not as good as the buckmaster.  Good luck keep us updated.
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2011 at 17:13
i've heard good things about the BM, and thought of maybe going to a sightron sII, i'll keep checking SL. we move to delaware next year, so i'm probably getting ahead of myself. it's strange, that they only allow rimfire's on varmints, but allow centerfire up to 25 cal for fox's. hopefully i read it wrong. but i'd still like to pick up a 17 or 22 mag.
Tye View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2013 at 21:16
I have a mid 90's BSA target scope and it's quite decent but I've heard a lot of bad things about their newer scopes. I put a Mueller 8x32x44 scope on my 17hmr and it's really good for the $240 I paid. Bright with repeatable target turrets. You can stretch it out as far as your 17 will take you!

Cheers,

Tye
JD548 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD548 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2013 at 10:44
i haven't bought too many BSAs over the years  but i have bought two recently--

a BSA boss 1.5-4.5x and a BSA majestic 6-24X

both of them have very clear glass for the $$, i sort of expected the 1.5-4.5x boss to do well if for no other reason that the low magnification  don't stress out the flaws in the glass like a high-mag scope does.

the majestic with adjustable AO is the real shocker here as it is even clear as a bell @ 24x --

only thing is the eyebox is super tight @ 24x --it is very usable though from 18x on down

i am pretty happy with both scopes--

the turrets on the BSA boss feel better than they do on the majestic --so far both scope hold zero well.

only thing i am concerned with is how long they hold up -- and only time will tell about that.

no doubt a viper is better--but it also cost about 3.5x as much.  on a budget a BSA can be a good deal.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic