OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Fitting a Timney trigger on a Ruger M77 Hawkeye...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Fitting a Timney trigger on a Ruger M77 Hawkeye...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fitting a Timney trigger on a Ruger M77 Hawkeye...
    Posted: January/29/2010 at 07:34
This afternoon I finally got my Timney trigger for my Ruger M77 Hawkeye Left Hander in .308 (oh, and the Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10x40 on it is about to be replaced with a Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x40SF Big Grin). I've just fitted it (currently waiting for the Loctite 243 to dry) and wish to make a few points just in case someone wants to follow in my footsteps...

1. Hard part of this job is getting the safety selector to clear the safety tab on the trigger. Use a Dremel (I did). I've ground it down roughly 1.5mm and instead of having the safety tab edge 90' i've rounded the rear edge slightly 45'. (Took me a dozen go's to get it down to the level you need it to be). WARNING: IF YOU GRIND IT DOWN TOO MUCH THE GUN CAN (MAKE THAT WILL) GO OFF WHILE THE SAFETY IS ON! BE CAREFUL WITH THIS PART! The area to be grinded is marked in blue by the factory.

2. There's about 5mm of thread travel for the spring tension screw. Having the spring tension screw backed all the way out (downwards) (the minimum pull setting) so the end is inside the C of the trigger will result in SLAMFIRES. (Just pushing the bolt in and cocking it is enough to make it go off. If that doesn't work, wiggling the trigger from side to side or hitting the receiver slightly will set it off. AND, you can actually screw this screw upwards (past the maximum pull setting) and it comes loose the other end. The only thing holding it down is the pressure from the trigger spring. Won't fling out but it will more than likely cause the trigger to not work properly. The minimum safe setting for me is 2 turns clockwise from the unsafe minimum setting (or the end of screw just inside of the screw hole).

3. With the bolt in and rifle uncocked, i've set the over travel screw on the trigger to touch the receiver. This seems to be the optimal setting. When rifle is cocked the trigger rotates rearward slightly so the end of the screw is just below touching the receiver and the trigger has enough travel to set the sear off. The factory screw setting (atleast on mine) isn't enough to make the trigger disengage the sear (found out the hard way with that one! Big Grin)

4. I've loctited the ends of the trigger and sear pins. Also smeared the top of over-travel screw where the nut connects with the body of the trigger and screw thread as well.

Timney Left Hand Ruger M77 Hawkeye Trigger. The sear is upside down in this picture.

Edited by The Apostle - March/28/2010 at 10:53
John Howard: "We will find any means we can to further restrict them because I hate guns...ordinary citizens should not have weapons. We do not want the American disease imported into Australia"...
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2010 at 08:08
i know it can be done but why chance it when timney makes a very nice aftermarket fully adjustable unit?
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
The Apostle View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2010 at 16:52
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

i know it can be done but why chance it when timney makes a very nice aftermarket fully adjustable unit?

What do you think I just fitted???
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2010 at 16:54
thats my point, people often try to do this to the factory triggers and end up in trouble. i was making a statement in a questionable sort of way i guess. sorry it was taken wrong.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2010 at 20:04
Sorry, I misread what you said. No worrys. Thunbs Up

One Timney fitted...one LC6 in the rubbish bin!
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2010 at 04:45
I've taken the spring that came with the Timney trigger off and put the Ruger factory spring on...the trigger pull was way too light for my liking with the Timney spring.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2010 at 14:52
I have the same Timney unit on one of my M77 MkIIs.  It's a good trigger!  As you said, grinding the safety engagement tab down is something you don't want to get in a hurry with.  You have to remove a tiny bit of material at a time, then test for function and repeat until the safety just engages over the top of the tab and doesn't allow any trigger movement. 

Personally, I wouldn't use a Dremel tool for this, though.  You can always remove more material, but once ground, you can't add material back.  Depending on what kind of cutter/grinding wheel you used with the Dremel, I would be afraid of removing too much steel too quickly.  This is why I use a file and honing stone for this task.

My Timney and the couple others made for the M77 I've worked with could safely be adjusted down to slightly over 2 lbs. to 2.5 lbs. but no lighter than that.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic