OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Newbie/ Right stuff for a Stag 6L SV 5.56??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NuuuBe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie/ Right stuff for a Stag 6L SV 5.56??
    Posted: January/28/2010 at 19:54
Hi, I'm a complete newbie to all of this with probably some stupid questions. I've never owned an AR rifle, let alone a rifle with a scope, but hand guns have lost my interest and this where I'm going.  I'm getting a  Stag Arms 6L Super Varminter,  its a left handed 5.56 AR based rifle with a 24" SS barrel.    My primary initial use will be hitting the range and doing some paper punching at 100 yards,  from there.... Hopefully longer range shooting and possibly some varmint down the road.  I don't know what would be better for me, a variable or fixed magnification??         I'm looking for the right scope, scope mounting, and bi-pod for my application.  Seeing the rifle is about 42.25" long, I think a pretty good size scope would be fitting.  I'm not looking to spend a lot of money for my first scope. I'm thinking probably around $200, but I might be willing to spend a little more if its something really bad ass.   There is so much junk on-line it's hard to find a decent source, I had someone suggest a Bushnell Elite 3200 But I don't know if that's any good.

Any help is appreciated, and thanks for reading my dumb Nu-B questions Bucky
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2010 at 20:04
Several guys use the Burris PEPR mount for the flat-tops, not saying its best but works great.  I have a fixed 10x Bushnell 3200 on mine and love it mounted with the PEPR these a picture here.  SWFA's Super Sniper line has an AR mount that is going to be release soon, I hope, that will be IMO better than the Burris because it will come with reducers and the reputaion of SS and SWFA!

Good luck, welcome to the OT, Happy Shooting

And no real question is dumb when gathering info only not asking is dumb.

Edited by SVT_Tactical - January/28/2010 at 20:06
NuuuBe View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NuuuBe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2010 at 20:45
Awesome, thanks for the help.  I'm really not sure if fixed or variable would be better for me, but your the second person to suggest the Bushnell 10x40 Elite 3200.  I was looking at the RRA mounts but, I'm going to check out PEPR mounts for sure, your setup looks good.
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2010 at 10:34
I use a set of Warne Ultra High QD rings for my 4.5-14x42 Sightron SII with an HHR reticle.  Works well for me.  So that would be my suggestion.
bigo_m View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigo_m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2010 at 14:05
As far as mounts go the Burris Xtreme Tactical extra high 1" rings worked for me. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic